My first razer blade

Discussion in 'Razer' started by Gianlucadbl, Mar 23, 2019.

1. CraftyClown

CraftyClown Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I do, yes. Or are you asking Gianlucadbl?

2. Esaelias187

Esaelias187 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    no anyone really

has is your backlight bleed I know a lot of people don't care, or they do have but they do not notice

as I heard razers have bad backlight bleed

3. Gianlucadbl

Gianlucadbl Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have the full HD 144hz, it did not seem to have it, or if there is no note.

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk

4. CraftyClown

Reputations:
    I have a little IPS glow, only really noticeable on a black screen in a dark room, but no real backlight bleed. Overall a pretty good panel. The colour accuracy is superb on the 4K panel and it looks gorgeous :D

5. Gianlucadbl

Reputations:
    Is there a guide about how to use?

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk

6. Gianlucadbl

Reputations:
    @Joikansai new benchmarks made with gaming mode are slightly better. The maximum temperatures were 80 °.
    Yesterday I tried again on RE 2 and Dmc 5, I don't know if it was throttlestop, but the temperatures were definitely better, with peaks of 80-82 °, but not always.
    Game on a monitor 29 "21: 9 Is it normal that performance (fps) is reduced?
    Later I try in performance mode.

now I'm noticing the coil whine more, do you have it too?

https://ibb.co/vPc333C
    https://ibb.co/hDwgp3r
    https://ibb.co/BBT09Xn

7. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That’s great temperature, gaming mode give more performance to cpu and gpu so it’s expected. You still can improve it though since there’s still cpu and gpu thermal room by using manual overclocking with afterburner. Less FPS on ultrawide 21:9 is also expected, you push more pixel than your Blade 1080p 16:9.
    Coil whine maybe there depends unit, is it noticeable on idle or when max load? It’s actually not coil whine on mine it’s high pitch noise that is produced by minimum airflow output inside the laptop that made “flutes” effect, I can reduce it by lowering fans rpm to 4800rpm from max, still there but on that level in my case will be covered by gaming sound. This high pitch sound happens also on other thin light gaming laptops like Aero 15, MSI gs65. On idle I can’t notice coil whine, but when connected to external monitor I could, if I put my ears near keyboard, hdmi and DP connected to nvidia dgpu, that make fan more aggressive.

8. Gianlucadbl

Reputations:
    I didn't notice the coil whine before, but now I feel it much more under stress and in idle conditions, particularly if there are no other sounds around, it's very annoying, is it possible that it's given by the ssd? because I have read that it is a possibility, given that soon I will replace it I will see if there are improvements. otherwise the only possibility is to ask for a replacement to amazon?

about the gpu and cpu overclocking you mentioned, is it a way to get better results at the same temperatures?

I'm continuing to carry out undervolting now I'm at -140mv and I haven't had any instability problems, I keep increasing it? should I do it for the GPU too?

sorry for the many questions but unfortunately I can't find complete information around the web.

9. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Coil whine can be reduced by not using the parts that may occur it, mostly from gpu on Blade 2018, so using balanced mode on idle, not using DP and hdmi make it completely gone in my condition. Yes ssd can also make coil whine in 2019, which I found honestly weird because it use same ssd with 2018 model pm981 on top 512gb and pm 961? on 256gb model. There’s actually a bit better gpu performance using original ssd that I noticed on 2018 model, it may related to this, users thought that ssd made the coil whine but actually by changing ssd, setting with ssd and Hardware on ec Firmware maybe changed and as result lower gpu performance with less/ no coil whine.
    No, overclocking stress cpu and gpu more because you use higher frequency, it’ll result higher temperatures than without. You can try repasting it with better compound and get better thermal head room for overclocking though. I’m still on factory default paste since I can manage it to not running hot by software like xtu, Synapse, or bios moding (if I need it).
    I don’t undervolting the gpu yet because gpu is always on safety temperature areas, only cpu. Even with max overclocking gpu never reach mid 80ish, unlike the cpu.

Gianlucadbl likes this.
  10. CraftyClown

Reputations:
    Take care with continuous underclocking. You should be doing it in small increments and then testing thoroughly that your device is stable. The TS bench mark is a good starting point.

Run tests for your undervolt at 64, 256 and 1024m. If you get any errors at all then your underclock is unstable. As a rule of thumb I will usually do the first test for 64m up to 10 times to make sure there are no errors and then 256 and 1024 once. This is simply because 64m is much faster and just passing the test once doesn't guarantee stability.

Even then this doesn't guarantee full stability. You may have certain apps that tax the processor heavily and can crash easily with an undervolt. I personally find that Adobe Premiere is one such app and if I still get crashing I will slightly increase the voltage to prevent this.

I use my machine for work so I can't risk any stability, however the occasional blue screen might not be such a concern for you. That said, any blue screens risk corrupting system files so should be avoided as much as possible.

With the GPU overclocking there is no way you can do this and not generate higher temps. You are asking the chip to do more which will pull more voltage. Unless you really need the extra FPS I wouldn't bother to keep pushing this.