My first foray into watercooling (aka yet another desktop thread)

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by n=1, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n=1

n=1 YEAH SCIENCE!

Reputations:
    @t456: I was being facetious when I linked the silver paste lol. It's essentially silver powder suspended in a filler medium (terpineol), and I really doubt it would work better than a true liquid metal formulation like Liquid Ultra.

I'll link you to OCN's PSU master list. Make sure you pay attention to the actual OEM and not the brand. Apart from Enermax, Seasonic and Super Flower who sell PSUs under their own brand, none of the other companies actually make the PSUs. Instead they likely buy the bare units and repackage them before selling. Be sure to also check the reviews where available. JohnnyGuru does some good testing but can get a bit too enthusiastic I find. Also it's rumored that he is affiliated with Corsair so for Corsair units make sure to check out other reviews.

From memory Antec, Corsair, and EVGA PSUs come with sleeved cables instead of flat ribbons, but check the reviews for other units. If you want best bang for buck, then the EVGA 850 G2 @ $109.99 after rebate simply cannot be beat.

CptXabaras likes this.
  2. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Yes, I know :D , it's a lot like AS, except the particles are smaller by a factor two. Doesn't appear I'll be receiving that stuff anyway; they'll only sell to professional labs.

Found something else though; List of thermal conductivities > Graphene thermal paste > Graphene Thermal Paste 2nd Generation:

If true, that would beat Liquid by 3°C, will test that instead; out of Gelid anyway.

3. n=1

n=1 YEAH SCIENCE!

Reputations:
    That came up when I was looking for a better paste than Gelid, but I'll just say unless it's a pure graphene paste (which it obviously isn't), I highly doubt it will be as effective as liquid metal.

Also I wouldn't compare temps across different websites, especially one on the manufacturer's own site. Just too many factors that can influence the results.

D2 Ultima likes this.
  4. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Liquid Ultra beats ICD and Arctic Ceramique 2 (if applied correctly) by a solid 10+ degrees, and both ICD and AC2 beat AS5 by a solid amount.

People seem to forget to list ambient temps and humidity in their testing. The most perfect test needs to be done in a controlled environment room with an air conditioner set to the same value all the time. This is often not the case and they won't say it. I've seen people claim MX-4 is better than ICD according to such tests; but obviously with my near-consistent room I have long proven otherwise.

5. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Sure, and a proper test setup should ideally do without cpu/hardware altogether; heat is heat, regardless the source. Take a ceramic plate and a copper block, place them atop each other (weight=pressure, so copper block with sufficient/added weight) and heat the ceramic. A lot less hassle too ...

Hmmm ... if anyone wants to trade 1.5ml graphene paste for 1.5ml Liquid (don't have that); send PM. Can do our own test then.

While you're waiting for the plexiglass components; research conductivity and thermal capacity of the cooling liquid itself? There's lots of pro's and con's with all the nuclear reactor designs, so ... would bet there's some possibilities here as well.

6. n=1

n=1 YEAH SCIENCE!

Reputations:
    So as it turns out, the other GPU block also had to be junked. It didn't have any cracks, but I could tell it was leaking since water got in places it wasn't supposed to go, and hooking the block to a tap confirmed just that. And just to be safe, I tossed the GPU bridge as well, so it worked to be a $300 mistake. :cry: Oh well. With that out of the way, time for some happy news.

I finally finished the damn loop last night and leaked tested for 16 hours. No leaks, but slave GPU still has some air that might take a while (a week?) to bleed. Other than that things are looking good. I'm going to go light on the pics for now, but eventually I hope to do a detailed build log when I get some more time. But for now enjoy these:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Preliminary results are nothing short of AWESOME!!!. Looped Unigine Heaven at 1080p Extreme for 1 hour, master GPU topped out at 36C, while slave GPU reached 41C. HWInfo showed CPU reached a max of 55C but while the loop was running the temp fluctuated between 43-47C. Best part? Fans on the radiator stayed around 900 rpm, so I couldn't even hear them. If anything the pump was louder than everything else LOL. See attached HWInfo screenshots. (chassis2 = bottom 360 rad fans, CPU + CPU fan OPT = top 420 rad fans)

[​IMG][​IMG]

Ambient temp was around 20C (68F), so hopefully I shouldn't more than 5-6C increase in temps during summer. I was initially concerned whether I had enough radiator space but seems like I have way more than enough. At this rate my loop should be able to handle 2x 300W GPUs, especially since fans are only running at 50% rated rpm to achieve the current temps.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
    reborn2003, t456 and Takaezo like this.
  7. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Looking good :) I look forward to some benchmarks of it fully unleashed.

8. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I did not read if you used acrylic or soft tubing. The air bubbles with work their way out eventually. Usually lean the PC in different direction while running and or speed up and slow down the pump. Normal use with the pump speeding up and down (if its PWM) will work it out. If you are manually controlling the pump then just alternate the speed over a few days and itll work out.

9. n=1

n=1 YEAH SCIENCE!

Reputations:
    Sorry for the slight necro, posting preliminary benches from another thread.

Here are my results just for fun. All runs done at 1600/7800 with my own bios that clamps P0 to a fixed voltage. For 3DMark11 runs I was stable at 1.25V, but Firestrike needed 1.26V to be stable.

[​IMG]
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/9408472

[​IMG]
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/9408431

[​IMG]
    http://www.3dmark.com/fs/4023124

[​IMG]
    http://www.3dmark.com/fs/4023157

[​IMG]
    http://www.3dmark.com/fs/4023199

Have a look at this as well:
    [​IMG]

Notice how both of my 970s reached 90% of their power limit? This was mostly during test 1 in both 3DMark11 X as well as Firestrike. Gigabyte was generous enough to set the power limit to 250W in the stock bios so I didn't have to mess with that. But if you do the math, 90% of 250W means each card was pulling 225W!!! Might as well be running 780s at that point lol

Btw I have the highest 3DMark11 X score for 970 SLI, and in the top 20 for Firestrike Ultra as well. Not bad for an amateur bencher running Win7 I dare say. :vbbiggrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.