My first foray into watercooling (aka yet another desktop thread)

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by n=1, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    You sound traumatized/scarred for life.

TomJGX likes this.
  2. n=1

n=1 YEAH SCIENCE!

Reputations:
  3. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    When Deep Cool Z or whatever it is performs worse than toothpaste, you would be too. Hell, they're charging MONEY for that stuff.

CptXabaras and Takaezo like this.
  4. n=1

n=1 YEAH SCIENCE!

Reputations:
    Almost there, so... close... yet so far away :(

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Finished plumbing after a week of work, was pretty confident things were fine but decided to leak test because it's the proper thing to do. Hit the switch to the pump, and my heart sank when I saw the paper towel around the slave GPU block turn wet almost instantly. Then had a heart attack when I saw water BACKING UP ONTO THE GPU from the block. Promptly cursed, shut off the pump, drained the loop as fast as I could, and took out the GPU assembly before any more harm could be done. Took the slave GPU block off and gave the GPU a thorough wipe, then left to air dry.

Meanwhile I inspected the slave GPU block and found that I literally screwed up by cranking one of the screws in too tight which cracked the acrylic on the GPU block. Welp that's $125 down the drain. But thankfully due to the leak test I saved myself from a $3500 disaster.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
  5. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Well GG.
    10char

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Water should not have done any harm to a GPU that is off so don't worry about that, leak tests are really the best way to go for sure.

7. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    You b*****d, just had to post that, eh :D !

Oh well, ordered a bottle ... for science!!!

Though 25g = 2.5ml; 10 cores. So I'll split it up 5-ways, if anyone's interested in testing that nano-stuff; PM me. Damn shop was ex-VAT, so total cost is €245/5 = €49,- (or $57) (inc. ww shipping, in envelope). Have some (vintage) glass syringes laying around somewhere, will add these for €8.70 (or $10) more. Otherwise it's a 1ml plastic syringe. And "no", will not post results before all four are sold :p .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh, right ... and good luck with that hydro-rig, looks awesome :vbthumbsup:. And if there's threading with some of those water-circuit-components; might consider gas pipe tape for that, works perfect for sealing connectors. Hmmm ... now considering an 2m-tall-aquarium-pc-tower, with weeds+fishes and everything ... one more retirement project :eek:.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
    Takaezo likes this.
  8. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    ^Are you actually serious about the silver paste...

9. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Sure, what the hell; I like to tinker/experiment. Bought a 1500W/33,000 lumen 'lightbulb' recently, just because it exists ... a high power incandescent would be 100W/~800lm, so ... probably need to wear welding helmet before switching it on (and a 1500W-capable switch).

CptXabaras likes this.
  10. CptXabaras

CptXabaras Overclocked, Overvolted, Liquid Cooled

Reputations:
    Guys sorry for the OT... just a question... i'm looking for a fully modular PSU for my rig around 800/850W (it is a WIP project yet), what i'm looking are fully slaved cables (i don't like the flat ribbon ones that i have on my CM psu..). Which one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.