My first foray into watercooling (aka yet another desktop thread)

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by n=1, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n=1

n=1 YEAH SCIENCE!

Reputations:
    Time for another update. After trying various decoupling materials, I finally found that a combination of egg carton and hard foam (the kind that's not squishy and difficult to compress) worked the best in suppressing the very annoying high pitched ring that used to be present.

[​IMG][​IMG]

While the high pitched ring disappeared there was still a faint, droning hum. Interestingly, it seems there's an "acoustic sweetspot" for the pump. Turning down the D5 from 5 to 1 (lowest setting) actually resulted in WORSE humming. Somewhere between 4 and 5 the humming on my D5 seems to reach a minimum, and that's where I have it currently. Additionally, ramping up the fans just enough to mask the hum was far more fruitful than me trying to pad the thing with additional foam. Noise-proofing the case wasn't an option since the Enthoo Primo is so damn porous to allow for good airflow. Guess it's a double-edged sword if you're after absolute silence.

2 more shots of the finished CPU loop:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I also remounted the CPU block and improved temps by 2C. Prime95 small FFT doesn't go over 70C on the hottest core (other cores are 66C or below). After playing The Crew for 4 hours the hottest core goes up to 60C. Might not sound very impressive, but keep in mind the two GTX 970s are dumping all their 350W worth of heat into the case, since the only exhaust point is the radiator (all other fans are setup as intakes). The inside of the case is so hot that the water in the reservoir actually measured 35C! And no I know it isn't the CPU heating it up because even when running Prime95 for an hour the water barely goes past 26C. Moral of the story? GET THOSE GPUS UNDER WATER RIGHT NOW!

So it seems my Christmas shopping list will be two EK full cover blocks and matching backplates. EK is the only one making a full cover block for the Gigabyte 970 so despite my reservations about EK it seems I have no choice.

Stay tuned for a part two...

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
  2. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Egg... carton... and hard foam... how did you even attempt to begin to come up with this?

Also, is it just me, or is the posting method changed? It looks weird and quoting automatically takes me away from the thread page into a full editor.

3. n=1

n=1 YEAH SCIENCE!

Reputations:
    Got the egg carton idea from Martin.

Tried the spongy soft foam first since I figured it would be best at dampening vibrations. Nope it was too compressible so even with an inch of that stuff the mounting bracket was pretty much right up against the case and transmuted most of the vibrations. That's when I realized hard foam that doesn't compress as much would work better.

4. D2 Ultima

Reputations:
    Where people come up with this stuff I will never know. Ever.

5. Rhubarb

Rhubarb Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Perhaps not the most pragmatic comment but it does look very pretty. Full black and blue. I do have to say that one tube of green looks a bit strange though...

6. n=1

n=1 YEAH SCIENCE!

Reputations:
    Fits the theme perfectly :)

D2 Ultima likes this.
  7. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    From using random house materials to see how they perform of course. The random things I did with my desktops with blutak and cable ties :)

8. D2 Ultima

Reputations:
    I've heard legendary stories of people using butter as TIM.

9. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    I think you're talking about mayonnaise, and yes it's true--it actually works surprisingly well in a pinch, better than some of the no-name pastes on the market. :eek:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  10. D2 Ultima

Reputations:
    No, I literally mean "butter". I've been to places on the internet.... places I should never go back to... places where people compared butter, chocolate, margarine, mustard, ketchup, etc to various thermal pastes.

I've seen.... things....

octiceps and TomJGX like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.