My first coffee spill

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by ysz, Dec 19, 2017.

1. canuckcam

canuckcam Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    And keep in mind that the keyboard area itself is sealed off with the only opening underneath for the ribbon cables. And even that slit has a gasket around it. So go ahead, spill away! Likely the worst case is a new keyboard.

2. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    I didn't think about the capillary action! You are correct... It might draw stuff in to where you don't want rather than taking it out. Good catch.

interestingfellow likes this.
  3. interestingfellow

interestingfellow Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I learned about how awesome %91 OH is (from you, IIRC) for cleaning during touch screen replacement. I was terrified that it would seep between the glass and resistive sheet.

4. thewanderlustking

thewanderlustking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wife was having a fight with me. Well one sided as she was the one making noise. She knocked a full cup of coffee over onto my CF-19. Started freakign out about that as I calmly got up, walked over to the sink, and turned the water on. Laptop still running. Nothing fancy. Just TAP water. That was 3-4yrs ago. Keyboard still works fine.

Oh and her look of shock? PRICELESS. Derailed that "discussion" nicely!

hmscott likes this.
  5. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    I use a solvent that is no secret really*... 80% distilled water and 20% worth of 90% alcohol. To that I add a few drops of a nice liquid soap. I put that into a small spray bottle. It cleans Toughbooks better than anything else except for possibly Goo Gone for the sticky residue left by stickers or maybe MEK for paint and stubborn paint type markers.

*patent pending (not)

Toyo likes this.
  6. Toyo

Toyo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Make sure all the doors to the ports are closed. Get the water at your sink luke warm, hold laptop upside down and spray the KB. You can take a small soft detailing brush and clean between the keys if needed. Rinse well and support unit upside down to allow it to dry. If you do it upside down you have a less chance of water intrusion. I don't really worry about it though. My units are exposed everyday to some dirty, greasy hands and stuff at my auto repair business. I have been cleaning mine for a long time in the sink, never an issue.

interestingfellow and Toughbook like this.
  7. interestingfellow

interestingfellow Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is such an unnatural and terrifying proposition until at least the 3rd time that you've done it! LOL!

Toyo and Toughbook like this.