My final "what laptop should I buy" thread.

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by dave1780, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave1780

dave1780 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've decided that I'm going to buy a new laptop within the next week(hopefully getting some Labor Day deals).

==========

General Questions

1) What is your budget? ~$1,400(may go slightly higher if necessary)

2) What size notebook would you prefer? Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator. U.S

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

b. Dislike: HP

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? Nah

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Gaming, etc.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Taking it around, using it on my lap; not a desk)

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games? Yes, Battlefield 3, maybe Tera, Guild Wars 2, or ArcheAge, and League of Legends.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? Doesn't matter

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Need to see a picture.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc. Windows 7

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer?
    1920x1200 or 1920x1080

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen? Glossy.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Yes

15) When are you buying this laptop? A.S.A.P(within the next week)

16) How long do you want this laptop to last? Couple to three years.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive? Doesn't matter, probably at least 300GB 5400+RPM(don't need an SSD, have one already!)

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive? CDRW/DVD-Rom + DVD burner would be great, not necessary though.

==========

Figured I could list some laptops I've found and am considering... Some are build with the same model(Clevo P151HM1), just can't really decide which reseller would be the best so any thoughts from experience would be cool!

Top Choices:
    Malibal Lotus P151HM1
    Battalion 101 P151HM1
    Xplorer X6-9300(I think it's also built on the P151HM1

Also considering:
    Xplorer X6-9400
    ASUS G53 Series G53SX-XN1
    MSI G Series GT683DXR-423US

If anyone knows, is iBuyPower's Battalion 101 more shiny/glossier looking(from their pictures, it looks this way to me) then Malibal's Lotus? Or are they exactly the same looking?

I know this thread is longer than most and I have a bunch of links; sorry lol.. Any help would be appreciated, because I'm pumped from my first paycheck ever to get a new laptop!!:D

2. Vedya

Vedya There Is No Substitute...

Reputations:
    Ibuypower and Cyberpower are shady companies and have subpar CS, I wouldn't reccomend doing buisness with them.

3. dave1780

Reputations:
    ahh really? I just remembered from seeing your post that I saw a couple reviews of ibuypower and that it takes a LONG time to get laptops/desktops from them.. so thank you for the tip!

4. aliza.wine

aliza.wine Newbie

Reputations:
    If i can buy new laptop i would definitely choose Toshiba or Lenovo again.

learn to play poker

5. dave1780

Reputations:
    eh for some reason I don't really want either of these brands.. I checked their laptops out but just didn't like what they have to offer...

6. helmetface

helmetface Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Look into Sager/Clevo resellers

7. swimmer1918

swimmer1918 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Get the Malibal Lotus P151HM1, you won't be disappointed. I received my P150HM today in perfect condition, and it was worth every penny.

8. dave1780

Reputations:
    That's awesome that you got yours! I may get the P151... it looks good, isn't too expensive, and everyone seems to like it lol.

Edit: Just making sure, if I were to get the P151HM1 and upgraded from the 120w to 180w AC adapter, I would be able to upgrade my video card in the future, right?

9. helmetface

helmetface Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, upgrade to the 180w AC and you'll be future-proofed for a stronger video card.

10. amdme127

amdme127 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Dell XPS 15z is nice, thin, portable, and pretty powerful. Worth a look. For $1300 (probably get cheaper with coupon codes) get very fast dual core i7, nVidia 525m, 1080p screen, 2 year warranty, and very thin and light laptop (attractive too). Oh and supposely 8 hours of battery life (no extended battery needed, 8 cell builtin), more like 4 if gaming. Dell XPS 15 can get quad core, better nVidia card, slightly better battery life with extended 9 cell, etc for about the same price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.