My Dream: Thinkpad T or P Model with GTX 10 Series GPU

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by cranker2k, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    ThinkPads are built for work, for building and creating things. Want a G series, you buy a Gaming machine made for Gaming. A P series GPU was built for CAD, CAM, 3D modelling, professional video and audio editing, not to game. Gaming and Lenovo is found on the Ideapad side. Think is for WORK!

huntnyc likes this.
  2. cranker2k

cranker2k Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sure, I mainly care for having Thinkpad Trackpoint, and if that's on Lenovo's non-Thinkpad line of laptops, including Y series, then that's perfectly fine with me. But I don't see Lenovo doing that.

In reality, besides a mil-spec built and traditional black, the only true identity left of Thinkpad is the Trackpoint and the associated buttons above trackpads. Even keyboard is no longer distinctive after changing to chiclet-style. It's obvious that Thinkpad line has been expanded to cover all sorts of usage, so why not a GPU that is better fit for content creation and gaming? Other companies are realizing the convergence and are jumping ahead of change. Dell offers Pascal GTX 10 series on both XPS and Inspiron lines, even though they also have Alienware. Microsoft Surface Pro 2 has GTX 1060.

3. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Y series should adopt the pointing stick, as a high end touch. With ThinkPads ,the P series are the big place where you will find a discrete GPU, for workstation duty. Also, bear in mind, another thing which keeps discrete GPU not being often used on ThinkPads is most get used for business, i.e. WORK. Also, BSD, and Linux compatibility is important to many ThinkPad users (myself and many I know buy business laptops for their easy Linux and BSD support). I would like to see the Y series get some ThinkPad touches for the content creators and gamers who need a machine which is used for work part of the time. I agree with much of what you have to say. But do understand why so many business machines have only IGP for graphics or workstation GPU options. Also, Dell XPS is an unusual convergence between high end consumer and business at the present time. With touches of Latitude thrown in. And nice boxes. Don't compare Surface so called Pro crap to a real laptop, this machine is as disposable or more so than MacBook Pros, Airs, and MacBooks of today.

Starlight5 likes this.
  4. xitongzou

xitongzou Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    None of the non Workstation Dell Latitudes or HP Elitebooks come with dGPUs so why do you expect the ThinkPad T series to? The closest you can probably get is the MX150 but probably nothing more than that unless you upgrade to the P series. Lenovo already has the Legion line specifically for gaming. Should you want a light gaming grade notebook that doesn't stand out too much in an office, try a Gigabyte or maybe a Razer Blade or MS SurfaceBook 2

5. cranker2k

Reputations:
  6. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
  7. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Introducing Lenovo's P1. Meant to be competitor with Dell XPS line. Very thin and light 15" machine with slim bezel design and centered keyboard. If rumors are correct, it will have Intel G series with RX Vega M graphics, roughly comparable to something in between GTX 1050 and GTX 1050ti .
    [​IMG]

8. cranker2k

Reputations:
    Yeah, I saw this in Reddit. Great to see a 15.6" in a thin bezel and centered keyboard. Nice to have a GPU worthy of light gaming at least. Definitely competing with the new XPS 15. I would take this over XPS 15 for sure! Let's hope it doesn't solder the RAM unless it can come with 32GB and can up to at least i7-8650H with 6 cores and manage heat like all new thin bezel 15" lightweight laptops.

However I was hoping one of the 15" Thinkpad model would have a performance equiv to an overclockable full GTX 1060 mobile. The P3200 on P52 seem to also be around 1050/1050Ti level.

I recently bought the MSI GS65 with 1070 Max-Q. Close to full 1070 performance with overclocking. 144Hz refresh rate looks real good on text scrolling and windows animation. 32GB RAM is good for running 2-4 VMs, and still fit extra NVMe SSDs. Still in my returnable period but I don't think I will given P1 won't come close in terms of spec and performance but yet will be similar in dimension and weight as these new 15.6" thin, lightweight, and powerful laptops.

9. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    Kaby Lake G precludes hex cores for now.

10. ibmthink

ibmthink Notebookcheck Deity

Reputations:
    Not sure on what you base that assessment. The GeForce GTX 1060 has 1280 shader-units, the Quadro P3200 meanwhile has 1792 shader-units. Sure, the clock rates are a bit lower on the Quadro – nonetheless, it should be faster than the GeForce GTX 1060.

ThatOldGuy likes this.