My discoveries on Vaio Z’s Hybrid Graphics

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Nautis, Jan 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfman-one

wolfman-one Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hmm... installed Andrew's VPC driver... now my screen sometimes gets black for about a second... and the leds for stamina and speed don't work.
    Can anybody confirm this? Running Windows 8 Release Preview
    Thanks

2. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Everything works. Standard procedure for installing modded drivers:

1. Disconnect from the internet. (Otherwise Windows Update tries to be 'helpful')
    2. Uninstall existing driver. Reboot.
    3. Make sure both display adapters show 'Microsoft Basic Adapter'. If necessary, change the driver manually (choose which driver to install).
    4. Disable driver signature enforcement.
    5. Use driversweeper or NFR (nasty file remover) to get rid of traces of the previous driver that might have been left behind. I don't usually need to do this, but you've been trying different things, so this might be needed in your case.
    6. Install Andrew08's driver - either one will do, so go for the newer one.
    7. Reboot.

3. wolfman-one

Reputations:
    Thank you anytimer. It's working, had the wrong drivers...
    Now I have:
    GT 330M: 8.17.12.6314
    Intel: 8.17.12.6314

nvidia 26314 - intel 2281 signed was the name of the package, but both drivers show "not signed"

4. anytimer

Reputations:
    Yes, but they will work because only the inf is unsigned - the actual driver files themselves are signed by nvidia and intel. You can check that out in driver details.

5. wolfman-one

Reputations:
    hmm, if I switch over to speed-mode and use driver details, none of the files are assigned, but most of the Intel adapter

6. anytimer

Reputations:
    Hmm.. this seems new in Windows 8. I could have sworn the driver files showed as signed in Windows 7. Maybe someone who is on Windows 7 can confirm. Anyway, test mode is not needed, as would have been the case if the drivers were indeed unsigned.

7. mywolfe

mywolfe Newbie

Reputations:
    A little confused, I have a vgn-z720d (so a little old) and wanted to install these drivers but not sure exactly where to download.

This link looks like it points to the right ones but I thought these were signed so test mode wouldn't be needed?

Thanks, sorry if I missed something really obvious here.

8. Ambroos

Ambroos Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't know if anyone noticed but... the new Vaio S13-series has hybrid nVidia graphics, with the classic Speed/Stamina switch. I sense NEW HYBRID DRIVERS!

Downloading them now, seeing what I can get them to do. The Intel and nVidia drivers come seperate though, weird.

EDIT: Looks like it's just nVidia Optimus with a manual switch option :( no new drivers!

9. mywolfe

mywolfe Newbie

Reputations:
    I figured out the answer to my earlier question... which was fairly stupid. Didn't look at that download link very closely. Clearly those are the older unsigned drivers by Nautis. It's too bad there doesn't seem to be a link to Andrew's newer signed VGN drivers anymore.

Tried to install Nautis' drivers earlier and had some problems so going to try one more thing but then I may need help.

10. jbeecher

jbeecher Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I installed one of the driver sets listed here in this thread - forget which as this was months ago.

I am getting: "NVIDIA Display Properties Extension has stopped working"

I have tried to uninstall - re-install the drivers on the sony site - no matter what i do I keep getting this error.

More frustrating I have tried to use the "search this thread" feature for this exact error - but i keep getting a message of invalid search.

So I hate to ask these questions when I am sure somewhere in the previous 300+ pages someone else has had this issue and fixed it.

So I am apologize if this has already been covered. But I am so frustrated with my laptop - I just want it to work and get this annoying pop up to go away.

Please help.

Thank you!