My check engine light is on. Please Help.

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by The Fire Snake, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shyster1

Shyster1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    In some cars, that can be the start of no end of trouble. I had a 96 Jetta that, if the battery was simply disconnected, would trigger the anti-theft mechanisms in the radio, rendering the radio useless until it was reset by a VW technician using a special anti-theft code.

2. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    That code should be stamped somewhere on the car's body. Although they usually wont tell you exactly where it is at. But if you purchase the car new they should give you the code.

3. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    there are ways to reset an engine check light. most of the time ignition position will play a big part in the reset. ie: set key in 'on' position then press the gas/brake a certain amount of time. there are many other service lights in a car, but the engine check light should never be taken lightly, as it is the most important one. it is better to be safe than sorry, so the best advice would to go see why or what is causin the codes to be thrown.

have u ever checked yur service manual packet? i've never owned a VW, but my acuras, hondas, lexus, and benzs all came with a card that had the anti-theft code on it.

4. Shyster1

Shyster1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Thankfully, I no longer own said vehicle - my brother found out the hard way (at least the way he tells it; I was out of the country at the time), but he got rid of it years ago, too. Oh well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.