My check engine light is on. Please Help.

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by The Fire Snake, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Fire Snake

The Fire Snake Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well my check engine light is on. This is the first time this light has ever come on with this car. The car is a 97 Honda Accord. I had my feul ignition cleaned this weekend where they run the chemical "Gumout" through the engine. Then the 2nd step was to add a bottle of cleaner to the gas tank. After this service was performed, my check engine light is on. The car drives fine, the temp is good and the engine seems normal. Is this caused by the emmisions sensor? Does anyone know how to reset this light? Thanks.

2. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Go to Autozone and ask them to look at your car's check engine light. Since it's a 97, it's OBD II compliant so there shouldn't be any issues with their code reader. They will be able to give you the code and the description on the spot.

3. The Fire Snake

Reputations:
    Autozone went out of business where I live. Also what does the code and description help me?

4. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    well with obd II cars, they can just connect the obd II reader directly to yur ECU/EMU. the reader will then get a series of codes from the ECU/EMU tellin u why the engine light was thrown. after u get the codes, u can look them up online or from another source to narrow down where the problem might be comin from.

it sounds like a sensor problem since everythin is, and was, runnin fine.

5. Shyster1

Shyster1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Houstoned's advice sounds right on the money; most likely, something they ran through the fuel system got the oxygen sensor, or another sensor, out of whack (even if it was only temporary, the light will frequently stay on once the out-of-spec condition has occurred, just to make sure you visit your local dealer/service station sooner rather than later).

6. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    To reset them then I usually unhook my battery for a few min then hook it back up, that resets the ECU and gets rid of the light, but you don't want to do that until after you know/fixed the problem.

7. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss

Reputations:
    Yeah try reset the ECU first, undo negative terminal of battery, wait 10seconds then pump the brakes to kill residual charge. Hook the battery up again and see if it reappears

Theres Honda DIY diagnostic for the PGMFI by just using a paperclip to the service check connector and it will display the error code on the dash in blinks. It will tell you whats causing the issues.

Search it up, its a neat trick. It will work for Hondas with OBDO, OBDIIa & OBDIIb using the SCS connector.

8. The Fire Snake

Reputations:
    Thanks everybody, some big autophiles in here. As I mentioned I NEVER had this light on before until they ran that chemical through my engine. I will try that battery trick to reset the sensor. Does the sensor reset itself after you drive a certain number of miles by itself? The reason I ask is that once when I went to get an inspection my sensors were not reporting anything and a shop told me they will reset by themselves if I drive a certain number of miles. I did and came back and my sensors were working.

My plan is to have the sensor reset and not go to a shop. If the light comes on again then I will go and get it checked out.

9. Clutch

Clutch cute and cuddly boys

Reputations:
    Going off of flipfire there are ways to turn it off, I know in the Integra there is a button on the bottom of the stearing column and and you have to hit the brake or something. Look around for the Accord.

It could just be that it thinks it is time to change the oil.

10. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    It depends on what the code was. Some codes will reset themselves, and others wont. Its also different per car/company, so yes, if its gone then it probably cleared itself. Just keep an eye on it and see if it comes back, if it does go to a local auto parts store, pretty much all of them should have the right tools to check the codes, or the know how. Some cars will have a light/odometer read out that will tell you what codes the car is throwing, but you have to know the right combination to get the car to give them to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.