1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

My car vibrates when I drive

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by The Fire Snake, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Fire Snake

The Fire Snake Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Over the last couple of months when I drive my car vibrates a lot(can feel the steering wheel shaking and can see the passenger seat moving). I was told by my friend that this is caused by the wheel balance being off. Does any one have any idea?

2. Sodium

Sodium Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    get the wheels aligned, and balanced

3. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    sounds like a suspension or wheel problem. i would definitely start with the wheel/tire and get them balanced and then aligned. check yur rims to see if any of the weights came off or if u see a bend in yur rim.

4. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Yeah, balance, Could also be your hubs.

5. aan310

aan310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    tires may be cupping

6. Tinselworm

Tinselworm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    is it a diesel?

7. K-TRON

K-TRON Hi, I'm Jimmy Diesel ^_^

Reputations:
    Can be wheel balancing. Go to a tire place, they can individually put your tires on a machine to check that they are balanced.

You may also want to grease up the ball joints on the steering and front end.

If your car is older, maybe one of the rubber engine mounts has deteriorated, causing this excess vibration

K-TRON

8. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    Could also be brake rotors, especially if you live in the "rust belt"

9. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    if yur brake rotors and/or brake pads are worn out. they could produce a vibration from the metal on metal contact, but it will only vibrate during braking. if this is the case then check yur rotors and pads. easy way to check to see if yur rotors are still fine is to look for deep scratches (from worn brake pad) or rust ON yur rotor's surface.

i was gonna suggest hubs, but he didn't really mention any aftermarket wheels. if u do have aftermarket wheels, yur car might be hub-centric and the wheel itself is not seated correctly, due to hub/wheel compatibility.

10. millermagic

Reputations:
    Let me take a picture of mine. There are pieces missing along the outside edge from the rust. Really throws the balance off.

11. Trottel

Trottel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What do you mean by pieces? If you are talking about the metal rusting and flaking off that isn't affecting the balance of the wheel, tire, hub, and brake assembly.

12. system_159

system_159 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Very good chance that you just need to get your wheels aligned/balanced. It could also be a tire belt in one of the drive tires, which is less common but still quite severe.

Just head over to a tire shop and tell them what you told us. They get paid to know this kind of stuff and will be able to diagnose and fix your problem.

13. Trottel

Trottel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Bent wheels or wheels that have had balancing weights fall off can be a culprit of vibration. The steering wheel shaking is pretty bad and usually means a worn suspension or that it is misaligned. Is there a difference in acceleration and braking, or is the only thing that affects the vibration the speed of the car?

The tire people around me are all idiots. I take my wheels in off the car and the last time I did they gave 2 back saying that the wheels were bent and unbalanceable. Would have been nice to tell me before they mounted the tires and added 5 lbs of weights to each one. I was so pissed.

14. narsnail

narsnail Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    My tires were so worn out, that my car shook over 80 km/h, also a balance/ alignment wont hurt.

15. Colton

Colton Also Proudly American

Reputations:
    Get a Road Force balance/alignment. Trust me, it WILL get rid of the vibes.

16. joey-t

joey-t Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Tires is the first thing to check. If not tires than the suspension is the problem. Could be bad outer tie rods.

17. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss Super Moderator

Reputations:
    What speeds does it vibrate at?

If it mainly vibrates at highway speeds then it likely needs wheel balancing

18. millermagic

Reputations:
    Nah. Went through the same thing a few years ago. Started with balancing the wheels/tires, replaced a wheel ... turns out when I put on new rotors it went away.

19. The Fire Snake

The Fire Snake Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thank you so much everybody! I didn't think I would get so many good responses. Here is some more info from my side. The car is a 97 Honda Accord. This vibrating started just recently, like a couple of months ago. The car vibrates directly proportional to the speed, meaning more speed = more vibration. I don't thin the brakes are the problems as I had new brake pads and rotors installed just recently and they have been working great. After the brakes were serviced, there was none of this vibration, so I don't think it is tied to it. The place I bought the tires from gives me free balancing for them, so that is the first thing I will do and go from there. My friend said that when the tires get rotated that is when the vibration can start. This sounds crazy to me, since that would mean that I would have to have the tires rebalanced every time I get the tires rotated?

20. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    If your car is misaligned then a balance comes VERY quickly, along with a alignment. Like everyone else has said, take it to a shop, have them balance it, and most shops will give a courtesy check, and they will tell you what it wrong for free, if not free then it will be cheap and WELL worth the money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.