My 9550 mb upgrade to 9560

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Narraz, Oct 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you need to use some adhesive with the palm rest, I think you need to do some sample testing as we don't quite know what will work and what could ruin the palm rest.

I've done some repairs to fibreglass & carbon fibre products and two-part epoxy is frequently called for. But Dell has some additional materials on the palm rest so I don't know what would work without trying.

2. MLev1777

MLev1777 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Doesn't the fan mount to the palmrest, not the motherboard? I figured the 9550 chassis wouldn't have screw mounts in the proper location if so.
    And yeah, I wouldn't worry about it overcharging. Charge limits are mostly determined by voltage which are almost definitely the same between models. I'm a bit surprised it rejected it at all as I imagined the same battery charging chip is used in all variants with the 53 and 84 whr, and likely carrying over to the 9560 as well. Did the swaps from 53 to 84 whr battery in the 9550 for adding or removing a HDD work without issue? I cant remember.
    Of note, ebay sellers are advertising 84 and 97 whr batteries as compatible with both the 9550 and 9560 (https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...+battery.TRS0&_nkw=dell+9560+battery&_sacat=0). Not that this means much as these are not the most reputable sellers and aftermarket batteries can be questionable. But I am interested in what determines battery compatibility. Out of curiosity, run Dell diagnostics (the BIOS version) with the battery installed if you get a chance

3. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    My weapon of choice is 3M 9088 tape, strong, heat resistant and it can be removed. The fans come with a strip of tape on the 9550 (can't say I have needed to check on a 9560 yet)

You can get 50m rolls of the 12mm for about £7, I have used it on many things, sticking tablet screens down is was the primary use so you know it is good for laptops.

4. Narraz

Narraz Newbie

Reputations:
    I upload the pics instead of the links, probably easier to see now

Darkvash likes this.
  5. -=xXx=-

-=xXx=- Newbie

Reputations:
    I would like to make same mod but I don't see any of your images can you please repost them. Thanks.

6. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Almost makes me want to break my spare 9560 :D

7. micah356

micah356 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Who will be the first to try this with the 9570 when it comes out?

8. hoki

hoki Newbie

Reputations:

I am also planning to upgrade the my 9550 motherboard to 9560
    The photoes is disabled, could you update your photoes again?
    Thanks

nosauce likes this.
  9. Darkvash

Darkvash Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I've found this thread after the mobo of my 9550 died. I was thinking about doing this but as other user said the pictures are no longer visible, can OP post them again?

10. tomboudiboudi

tomboudiboudi Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,

Like few last posts, my 9550's mobo just die, and I'm clearly thinking about replacing it with a 9560 one.

@Narraz, could you please re-upload your pictures?
    Did you finaly try to charge the 84WHr battery with the 9560 mobo?
    I'm not really sure I got the thing about the jack/headphone board compatibility... could you explain that again?
    Did you try to run the 9560 mobo through thunderbolt dock (Dell TB16 or other)?

Really nice project by the way, definitely an act of resistance facing the dumb blinded consumption system...!

pressing likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.