My 7 yea old Dell XPS is dying. What should I replace it with?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by cherrus, Jun 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. cherrus

cherrus Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget? $800-$1200 US

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator. USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:Dell Lenovo
    b. Dislike:
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Checking emails creating documents, storing music, maybe streaming tv shows. Would like a laptop that I can add a CD burner to

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games? No

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? As much as I can get. My Dell really didn’t have a long battery life. I purchased a larger battery.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Either one is ok

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. I am used to windows 10

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

13) matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? No

15) When are you buying this laptop? ASAP

16) How long do you want this laptop to last? As long as my other one would be nice. 6 years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive? Enough space to last 6 years. Don’t know about drives

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner? Yes. Or at least the ability to ad externally

==========

2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Perhaps the Latitude 7490 from the Dell Outlet might be worth a look.

3. cherrus

cherrus Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    ZaZ

Is it worth it for me to spend more on an XPS?

Cheryl

4. ZaZ

Reputations:
    Worth is of course highly subjective and if you really like the XPS, then get it, but I would point out the Latitude has a three year warranty, including on-site, standard.

5. cherrus

cherrus Notebook Geek

Reputations:

ZaZ,

Honestly. I’m not a computer person. I purchase my current Dell because of the memory and speed and stuff. And now I have a laptop with more than half the memory left that is dying.

I just need a laptop that fills the above requirements. Doesn’t even have to be a Dell.

A friend recommended the XPS or Vostro 5000 or 7000 but I don’t know why those were recommend

My current laptop keeps getting various blue screen messages and then black screen that says operating system not found

Every diagnostic has come back showing no problems

One person said it could have been a Windows 10 update
    Another person said my hard drive is shot

I’ll take. A look at the latitude thank you.

6. RefinedPower

RefinedPower Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    6 years is a good long life for a laptop. I suspect most of us would be happy to have our laptops last that long :)

You mentioned you like Lenovo, have you looked at the Lenovo T480? I just had my old T60 kick the bucket after a very (over 10 years I think?) long useful life, so that might be something to look into.

Definitely get something with an SSD, the speed boost from that alone will be pretty amazing if you have not used one yet.

Kent T likes this.
  7. ZaZ

Reputations:
    Given the usage, a seven year old notebook is still a pretty good notebook. A SSD is a good way to make it more snappy. Operating system not found tends to point a bad drive, but honestly, it could be a lot of things. A new drive, you will have to re-install the OS, is less expensive than a new notebook. If you think a Windows Update is the problem, definitely a possibility, you could use System Restore to roll it back to when it wasn't blue screening.

8. cherrus

cherrus Notebook Geek

Reputations:

Yes! I am happy about the lifespan that I had. I’m just. It computer saavy and never know what to get to replace my old computers.

I turned to this site for help choosing my daughters pc after it died this past fall. She actually got a Lenovo.

9. cherrus

cherrus Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Tried system restore but for some reason I didn’t have a roll back date saved even though I know I put one in

I did reset but that didn’t work
    I couldn’t do a start up fix because of OEM and mine was windows 7 originally and I upgraded to windows 10 a few years ago
    It wouldn’t let me open in safe mode
    I would get Artois blue screens for no reason

Unmiuntable boot problem
    Critical process died
    Unexpected store exception
    Memory management

Black screen said existing operating system not found

A computer repair guy ran some kind of thing to check the disc drive but only 3 of them. Said he would need to detach to run the other two but everything came back ok except I. The events log something with the sound

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  10. cherrus

cherrus Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    ZaZ

I really like that Dell latitude

I do want a cd/dvd player to connect. I see the option to purchase through Dell. Is that wise. Or should I purchase elsewhere. Although it only says dvd so not sure if cds would work

Also the last time I purchased Office it was home and student is it better to subscribe to 360?

Thanks