My 5920g...WITH A HD 4650! (need help)

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by classic77, Jul 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. classic77

classic77 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I recieved my 4650 today, and just put it into my 5920g.

The core of the module was about 1mm short of contact with the heatsink, and I was therefore getting temp readings of 110+ when running benchmarks for even a few seconds. I have applied a copper mod and the hottest I've read since is 95C (5C higher than my 8600m GT).

The copper mod I did was just a penny put through one of those penny squishing tourist novelty machines. I cut it to the size of the core an sandwiched it between the processor and heatsink. Canadian pennies are actually made of steel though and only copper plated so this really isn't a copper mod, just my temporary solution until I get my hands on a copper sheet.

***Update (July 19)***

I just hack-sawed away at an old aluminum heatsink for about 30 minutes, and from it took a perfectly sized aluminum fin which is now interfacing between the GPU and heatsink. My temps have fallen from 95C while gaming to less than 82C.

I don't think I'm even going to bother to get copper anymore.

***Update (July 22)***

I have done a vBIOS mod on my new card to change the fan settings, since ATItool doesn't seem to work as far as modifying fan settings goes. The trigger temp for 100% fan speed was 105C (!) by default. I changed it to 90C. (The temp vs fan speed profile is linear, so reducing the max speed trigger temp increases the fan speed proportionally at all tempuratures).

Anyway, the vBIOS flash went well using the standard tools. (Radeon BIOS Editor, ATi Winflash)

***Update (July 23)***

I have successfully undervolted my 4650 to 1V down from 1.1V at high performance. I LOVE the radeon BIOS editor, as you can undervolt only the performance settings and not the boot settings! The advantage to this is that its possible to tamper with voltage settings without having to worry about your card not booting up!

The undervolt has cut my temps another 7C (with overclock!). This alone is enough reason to stick with radeon as apposed to nVidia, since I was never able to successfully volt-mod my 8600m GT!

***Update (August 23)***

I think I've been running my 4650 for about 4 weeks now, and no compaints. Recently I played Dawn of War 2, a game that often dropped below 10FPS on low settings with my 8600m GT. I run it now on medium and never hit below 30, a MASSIVE improvement.

Also, as has been discussed later in this thread, the 4650 benches much better in 3dMark Vantage than '06, which is to be expected since it is optimized for DX10. I would definately suggest this upgrade for anybody running an 8600m GT or lower.

Here are some benchmarks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. reidy-

reidy- Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    how hot is it running, download everest, or speedfan to find out.

your too hot might not be as hot as you think.

3. wahad

wahad Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yup yup, just try to keep it under 93c. My 5920g died 4months ago after 10months of not so much use :/

4. usapatriot

usapatriot Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Wouldn't you still be under warranty then?

5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Does it give the 30 second boot message?

6. wahad

Reputations:
    They didnt want even to diagnose my lappy! Coz I live in Banana country.

I've been caught in the middle of missunderstanding between Acer and our official service. They lost licence to be an official partner and service due lame servicing but they needed to keep servicing all broken laptops till april 1st on their expense as punishment... But as it goes, they were ing up everybody who brought lappy in that period, me included... So probably I'll go to the home of that fat ugly servicer who took my lappy for diagnose and make him pay my dues! He threw 1200e down the ing toilet!

Update: and after that, i went to other service, they took my lappy for diagnostic and they never returned to me! I cant fing the guy who took my lappy! He stole it from me and ing dissapeared from the face of the earth! Cant find him for 3 and a half months... Banana Country

Sry for the offtopic :/

Bad karma?

7. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    What? Thats so wrong did you file a report with the police?

8. wahad

Reputations:
    Umm, shop where I bought my laptop lost my receit and time and date when I bought my lappy... Misteriously... :s
    So I don't have a valid proof that I even HAD laptop... exept a box of it :) :/

Mega bad karma...

9. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    wow that sucks. Sounds like an inside job for the store LOL.

ON the bright side you can get a new notebook now :)

10. wahad

Reputations:
    Yup, but not that class :) less money, weaker lappy... For 500-600euros i can get pretty decent lappy somewhere in europe or usa, but here... Not even with nvidia 9200 and good c2d

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.