MXM Power Connector

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by DefinitelyCam, Feb 5, 2021.

1. thewizzard1

thewizzard1 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @DefinitelyCam I don't believe that seller is correct, unless he just means the possible driver problems, which are across all MXM cards across all brands.

It's entirely a crapshoot as to if the drivers will work out of the gate, or with modifications, or at all. I'm reasonably confident it will just work for this case, it's usually the weirder cards which act up.

DefinitelyCam likes this.
  2. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The 10 and 20 series work in the ancient EM series with mods so I can't image there being any software protection issue.

DefinitelyCam likes this.
  3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's not really an issue with the latest cards anyway as they are different shapes and the standards are the same if the shape is the same usually.

MXM compatibility is really machine by machine and card by card though.

4. ERROR_404

ERROR_404 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    At this point its really important to view the sustainability aspect. You can get for the same money a proper used GTX1070 or GTX1080 with close to equal performance and Mainboard, RAM etc. to boot.. Then when the availability of the 3000 cards lowers down to affordable sums you can upgrade down the road.

Going for an MXM graphics-card is the least cost effective option tbh. Its just that "enthusiasts" who go for a Clevo System that has all the upgradability, dont care much about the cost to benefit aspect and rather have a laptop that can outrun a desktop pc. Forking over mulitple loads more for that effect is sadly reality.

I honestly bought my KM1-system on the cheap as a barebone and filled it to the brim with my old parts from my old rigg. My excuse was the possibility of a laptop that can be used like a server 24/7. On that note it has been lately faltering but i guess maintenance is a repetitive process in that concern.

5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The cost benefit of an MXM card really depends on the system and the price you get for the old card and the new card.