MSI's HD4670 is running in my Acer 5920G

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by triturbo, Oct 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Finally I got my hands over this bad boy :D

First of all I want to thanks again to EchoShade, this would be impossible without his help. Thanks to MexicanSnake for the photo of the EX625's GPU, which showed clearly that it's an MXM 2.1 Type II GPU. And of course, thanks to TehSuigi for starting this madness at first place - posting pics of neighbour (Turkish) 5920G running HD4650 :D

Now, here it is (sorry for the blurry images, my AF is long gone, dropped my phone more than enough times :eek: ):

[​IMG]

Installed and ready for action (you can see my custom internal HDD cooling, thanks to moral hazard for the idea and for finding the proper fan, I can write a topic if anyone is interested) :D

[​IMG]

GPU-Z shot: http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/698ch/

And here is what it's capable of - non-overclocked, with every program that I'm using, running in the tray:

[​IMG]

Nice isn't it, but the real-world performance is what impresses me. Now I can finally play GTA IV at those settings flawlessly :D

[​IMG]

GRiD, Shift, Bioshock are also running on everything high.

Only downside of the whole thing is that, it's running a lot hotter than my HD3650, even when it was overvolted @ 1,2v and overclocked. I knew that it would bring some hotness, but not that much :D Now I'm trying to undervolt it. Funny enough the whole laptop acts strange when I run GPU-Z 0.3.3, AMD GPU Clock Tool or ATi WinFlash. It becomes unresponsive and stays like this until I close the program :confused: With GPU-Z 0.3.5 there are no such problems. When I'm using RBE 1.22 and start ATi Win Flash from there, it runs without a single problem, funny thing. I tried to modify and flash the vBIOS dump from GPU-Z 0.3.5, but it gives me an error 0FL01. Now I'll try with the vBIOS dump from ATi Win Flash and I hope that it would work this time :)

I know that quite a lot of you (mostly Acer owners) would like to know from where I get it and for how much, but I have to say - sorry, I can't tell you :( I wish I could.

This is my 2nd and probably my last GPU upgrade (first was HD3470 -> HD3650), because MXM 2.1 Type II is going for good, or for bad. Anyway, thanks to it, my oldie 5920G would be adequate for yet another year or so :)

Last, but not the least - MXM FTW!!! :D Thanks to Acer and MSI, because they are the only affordable brands that fully support it. You can bet that my next lappy would be from one of those brands, though if I rob a bank or something, it would be from Sager :D

Update 10-14-2009:

I had successfully undervolted it from default 1.2v to 1.1v, and now it hits 90ºC, but most of the time it's between 82ºC~86ºC which is OK for me and far from 100ºC :D

I had a little fun before settling down at 1.1v. At default voltage (1.2v) I had played a little with the vBIOS and here is the result:

[​IMG]

Update 04-14-2011:

First revision of my cooling overhaul is finally finished!

2. nklive

nklive Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Great job triturbo
    But as you know many people would like to buy this card and try it to their laptops (including me). I know though it has been tried to the 6930G without success but if we flash the bios, we might be lucky.
    That was great news.

3. tavara

tavara Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    congratulations! :)

4. Rorschach

Rorschach Notebook Virtuoso NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Thats a interesting looking box, did you buy this directly from msi?

5. Darth Bane

Darth Bane Dark Lord of the Sith

Reputations:
    same question, whom/where did you buy it from?

6. kisetsu17

kisetsu17 Took me long enough

Reputations:
    Judging from the photos it seems he got it directly from MSI! Whoa!! How'd you do it triturbo? Cool. I want one already! :(

Congrats though, I could see that 4670 being a larger-than-life upgrade for my own rig, so I might definitely still go for just the 4650--like a friend of mine Howitzer said, the upgraded processor + GPU might surpass the thermal budget for the laptop. :D

Questions, though. How hot does your GPU run before and after? Is it hotter than how classic77's was when he first did the upgrade?

Great work! rep added. :D

7. Darth Bane

Darth Bane Dark Lord of the Sith

Reputations:
    I would like an email address or phone number that he had to call. If you can order this card, I wonder about ordering other cards from msi....

8. Ayle

Ayle Trailblazer

Reputations:
    I'm jealous...

9. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Thank you all :)

Sorry, that I have to say it again, but I can't tell you, guys and it's not because of me ;) I hope that you understand.

@nklive - Mine is with MSI vBIOS and as you can see, it runs fine, overheating aside of course. Maybe the problem is elsewhere. We are trying to sort it out with EchoShade :)

@kisetsu17 - Pretty hot - 100ºC. My HD3650 @1.0v, non-clocked (600e/500m) ran @72ºC and @1.2v, clocked (777e/625m) hits 85ºC.

10. EchoShade

EchoShade Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nah, it works. Just with overheating problems like triturbo said. It peaked at 93C in the 6930G the last time I tried. As for the overheating, I think it's a driver issue since with correct drivers, it runs at 80C load in the EX625. MSI has 32-bit Catalyst 8.8 and those run fine so I'm wondering if those drivers would work better. I'll try it again soon but I need to figure out how to remove that metal plate on the stock GPU so I can use it in the MSI but it seems to be stuck with thermal adhesive or super glue of something. I tried your suggestion triturbo but I'm probably not applying enough pressure to get it off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.