*** MSI WT75 Owners Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by win32asmguy, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Yes, 250,000 for PL1. I tried a bunch of different settings last night mostly following MrFox's video on the 8700k. The only way to actually improve performance was either to undervolt or adjust IMON settings.

hmscott likes this.
  2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This proves my theory.
    MSI can't write a proper firmware @Papusan
    @Mr. Fox
    @Prema
    @yrekabakery
    @ole!!!
    @Donald@HIDevolution
    @Zoltan@HIDevolution
    @Ultra Male
    @thattechgirl_viv

Please take note of this if anyone intends to sell MSI unlocked F7 whitebooks.

The Bios can identify the 9900K CPU
    But the Embedded Controller can't, because the EC can only identify *BGA* CPU's, because the EC was made for BGA systems originally.
    The power ID is stored in Embedded Controller EC RAM register "E3" in RW Everything.
    I told Eurocom Support about this bug on the MSI 16L13. They said they would investigate and fix this.
    They didn't. Because they can't. Because MSI has to write the EC.

You can view it in RW Everything and see the power ID. The Bios sets the power ID to the EC. This includes limits on total system power draw, based on the video card detection.
    However this power ID is also supposed to detect the CPU as well, not just the video card.
    But MSI didn't program the CPU's power ID into the EC.

You can replicate the exact same thing in a GT73VR, GT75VR or GT75 Titan with a "HK" CPU

Try it right now. all of you I tagged.

Grab your BGA MSI throttlebook. with your "unlocked" CPU
    Download RW Everything
    Go to EC RAM register "E3"

Program a value of "70" into this register.
    Download and run Prime95. Open local.txt to disable AVX and FMA3 by adding:

CPUSupportsAVX=0
    CPUSupportsFMA3=0

Run Small FFT stress test with max fans.
    Use Throttlestop or if you hate Throttlestop, use HWinfo64 :)

Watch what happens to your unlocked CPU. PL2 will trigger. Then after 28 seconds, PL1 will trigger. Because "70" is an unrecognized ID for the CPU.

None of the LGA CPU's have recognized power ID's on the MSI whitebooks or workstations.

3. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    lmao this reminds me of whitelisting, but its like whitelisting cpu inside of EC rofl, the cancer among cancer

Ashtrix, Papusan and Falkentyne like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Clearly, the Masters of Sucky Inventions where their firmware is concerned.

5. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    was this the issue that plagued the F5 which is why you couldnt overclock past a certain point? i believe clevo also has cap too but its set higher.

Ashtrix and Falkentyne like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes, and the thermal management limitations. While it was the most potent 15-incher available, and still is, it couldn't do as much as I expected from it due to those limitations. When I have pushed something as far as it can be pushed and can't push it any further, I quickly start to lose interest in it. Nothing left to conquer, so it becomes dull and boring. But, that's my issue. It's still an excellent product for most users.

7. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Well with IMON OFFSET set to 31000 and IMON SLOPE set to 50 this is the best I could do with a -100mV undervolt.

I will open a ticket with MSI support asking them why the 8700 can't go above 95W TDP even for default PL2 values they set from the factory. Maybe with some luck they will fix the issue. I know its bad that the BIOS/EC limits the max performance of what this machine can do, but I am still very happy with it compared to what else is available.

WT75CBR15.jpg

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    ole!!!, alaskajoel, hmscott and 4 others like this.
  8. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    MSI won't help you. They don't even care.
    Their support is completely clueless.

You will need to reach a HIGH LEVEL engineer at MSI and no one here will have access to one. You need to reach someone who actually knows what they are talking about.
    I sent you a PM.
    Please check it.

Give them my home telephone number and tell the MSI engineer to call me on the phone directly.
    I'm the only person here who knows exactly what is wrong with their god awful Embedded Controller code.

Arrrrbol likes this.
  9. aaronne

aaronne Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks and Rep+ added to win32asmguy for testing and posting this useful info. So from your ThrottleStop readout, you are pulling 95W also with IMON's tricks enabled, in total we are speaking of 95W + 15.5W+ 50W = 160.5W pulled from your i9 9900K but I dont get maximum turbo clock on it.
    The IMON Slope can be tricked up to 75 or 99 50 so near the 210W limit suggested from Intel to permit Turbo operation on all core. But you're also near Thermal limit (if not upped to 115°c from bios if possible) because I saw from your screenshot you have 99°c on various core.
    Thanks also go to Falkentyne (1st discover of MSI's limits trick).

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    And, just to prove that we are not trolling MSI, let me jump in and add that this applies to all notebook OEMs/ODMs universally. They all truly do not give a rat's ass about anything other than how many they can sell before they run out of suckers. If they did care they wouldn't sell emasculated turdbooks to begin with. They'd be ashamed to put their name on trash like that. That's why we hear retarded excuses like "it functions as intended" LOL. They leave it up to the tiny hand full of boutique shops like HIDevolution to try to make up for their incompetence and clean up their messes.

Arrrrbol, Pedro69, Ashtrix and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.