MSI vs. Powernotebooks.com

Discussion in 'MSI' started by polish_jr, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polish_jr

polish_jr Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So in my endless search for my very own 12 inch, I can across this. If you look on the picture gallery for the pic of the bottom of the lappy, you will see the numbers MS10-12. So is this basically the exact same thing as offered by MSI? Does anyone have any imput on this matter?

2. CoffeeShark

CoffeeShark Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    yeah, they're using the MS-1012 chassis.

3. polish_jr

Reputations:
    Apologies for the double posts, can a Mod please delete which ever thread, thanks

4. polish_jr

Reputations:
    So is MSI an Original Design Manufacturer (ODM) that sells to powernotebooks.com or do they also use someone else's base?

5. CoffeeShark

Reputations:
    MSI is the original manufacturer.

6. polish_jr

Reputations:
    Just wondering about ram, AVADIRECT gives me the option of putting in two 1gig sticks of SODIMM DDR2-533 PC2-4200 for 160 dollars whereas a place like Rkcomputers quotes 2 gigs of DDR333 for 250, the DDR400 for ten bucks more. Is AVAdirect’s an error?

Also can anyone briefly tell me if the MS10-12 can take DDR2-533, and what the mean benefits of it over the DDR333/400 are?
    Thanks

7. brianstretch

brianstretch Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The MS-1012 is an Intel-based notebook that uses DDR2 memory (higher bandwidth but higher latency) that's currently cheaper than DDR1 memory (such as DDR333 aka PC2700, DDR400 aka PC3200). It looks like memory manufacturers miscalculated the popularity of AMD machines vs. Intel so there's a glut of DDR2 at the moment.

Speaking of which, check out the MS-1013 AMD Turion notebook. It's similar to the 1012 but it's 64-bit capable and has a vastly better ATI GPU.

8. polish_jr

Reputations:

UGH! Why do people say to buy AMD systems? I thought Centrino systems are way better. This is especially true in the MSI forum, seems like people want AMD MSIs over the Intels... wtf?

9. CoffeeShark

Reputations:
    The 1012 actually uses DDR RAM, not DDR2.

As for the question of MSI forums users, PolishJr, there are a ton of Pentium models that MSI competes with, but MSI has quite a few AMD Turion models, which make sit more popular with the AMD fans. Centrino or Pentium M systems do still have slightly better battery life, but that's about the only advantage they still have.

10. skel

skel Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I would caution against simply labeling Centrino as better. Remmember, Centrino is more than just a processor, it's also a chipset and integrated wireless. When you get past that and actually compare the Pentium M to an AMD Turion using specific criteria, I think you'll find the results suprising. From everything I've read, the Turion beats the Pentium M in many performance benchmarks. The Turion MT also has a lower heat signature than the M. The Turion is 64-bit, the M is not. About the only thing the M beats the Turion in is battery life, and I believe it gets its extra efficiency from the Centrino chipset.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.