MSI vs ASUS

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Gforc3, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Gforc3

Gforc3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I currently own an Alienware 17r3 980m but it’s getting old and after seeing these new 30 series laptops I’m really itching for a new one. I placed an order for an msi ge76 3080 however it’s not gonna ship til early April and also the i7 10870 seems underpowered with upcoming intel processors and obviously ryzen. Also I don’t need a 300hz screen, I’d rather have a better looking screen vs better refresh rate.

I’ve seriously been contemplating cancelling the msi and ordering a strix 17 3080 with the ryzen 5900hx, but I’m not sure if the quality of the ASUS is up there with msi. I owned a gt60 680m a long time ago and it was hands down the best quality laptop I’ve owned so I see msi as a better brand.

Which would you get? Is the strix just as good a laptop quality wise in your opinion?

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It's important to verify the total graphics power (TGP) of the RTX 30 card in the laptop you're looking at - it varies wildly. I would look for 115W+ if you want good performance. Waiting for a review is probably the best idea.

The Alienware RTX 30 laptops have pretty strong performance so you might consider one of those. They are readily available as far as I know.

Charles

3. Gforc3

Gforc3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The ASUS is 130 the msi is 150. I’m more asking about people’s opinions msi vs ASUS and also if the ryzen will yield more real world performance vs the i7. I can’t even find the msi with the i9 right now

andross77 likes this.
  4. andross77

andross77 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    See my comment in the other thread with the person deciding between the ASUS SCAR and the MSI Raider.

For me, I've been gaming on an MSI 1070 laptop for the past 4.5 years and it's been rock solid. Literally just 1 dead pixel that showed up in the past 6 months and I easily ignore.

But I'm not getting the Raider because of the old Intel processor, old keyboard, and 1080p screen. SCAR is my top choice but I'm gonna wait a bit longer to see if someone can give me a 1440p screen, 150w GPU, new optomechanical keyboard and the latest AMD CPU.

When that happens I'll pull the trigger on a 3080 laptop.