MSI Sent my laptop to the wrong address

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Midas Touch, Oct 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The GT73VR 7820HK / 1080 Pro-866 was only $550 upgrade cost, but it's still money. HID / MSI should offer to do that upgrade for free under the circumstances.

What do you need the powerful workstation to do? High core count CPU processing or GPU?

Did you tell HID this? Maybe you can cross swap into the workstation you need? MSI makes some so they could provide it. MSI also makes a laptop workstation WS model series too and I think I recall someone mentioned MSI allowed them an upgrade to a WS model.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  2. Midas Touch

Midas Touch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I did. My point is that if they can refund me in cash so I just buy one locally to save time. This is a one project only so I don't need to have an actual workstation with quadro gpu.

@hmscott

If you were in my shoe, you're okay to accept a refurb GT73VR as a replacement?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    hmscott likes this.
  3. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Credit Card company would not help in a situation like this, you need to turn to your bank who has your bank account which is linked to your credit card. However the bank will not help in a situation like this either. You can file a complaint with them which will be investigated in 30 days, but 99% chance that your request will be turned down.
    The only situation when the bank will refund your money is if card theft has happened and was used without your authorization. For example if a keylogger on your computer stole your cc information and someone started to spend your money. You need to disable the card and file a complaint at the bank to get your money back. In most cases the bank will honor your request.
    My personal experience was when a webshop which I visited often got hacked and all customer's cc information was stolen (the webshop stored all of this data in an non-encrypted txt file lol) and the hacker tested my card with adopting a Dog in the US.
    However if a higher amount of money is stolen after card theft the bank may require a copy of the police report to refund you.
    However if the crime is not related to card theft, then the chances of getting the money back from the bank is very slim and this situation is faaar away from the thing I just said.
    You can try your bank but if you tell them the whole story their answer would probably be this at the end: "Sorry, we can not honor you with a refund and if you wish to get your money back you need to file a civil lawsuit against HIDEvolution."
    Yes, against HID, because Midas was in contract with HID and HID was in contract with MSI and MSI was in contract with UPS. Midas can not file a lawsuit against UPS leaving out HID and MSI.

My opinion stands. Accepting a replacement is the fastest way to get to the end of this problem.

@Midas Touch: definitely go with the refurbished. It is a russian roulette, but you may come out winner. Refurbished does not always mean that you will get a horrible looking laptop with full of scratches and physical damages and so much dust inside that the vents can not even spin up. Refurbished means that the manufacturer restored it (with replacing components) to the closest as possible to new condition. I do not know how MSI does this restoring but I saw refurbished laptops which looked like new and there was no indication of it being a refurbished unit.
    Both GT73VR and GT75VR are good. If you do not plan to upgrade later and want a better cooling and screen, go with the GT75VR, however if you just want something to pass the time until Volta is out, go with GT73VR.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    IDK, it's a tough situation. If someone lost my laptop during the course of warranty support, I'd want a new laptop with a full warranty not a refurb.

You were already dealing with a problematic laptop, and to then be sent another "problematic" laptop - it was refurbished for a reason - you don't know if it was a working trade-in or a laptop that failed to be repaired a number of times and was replaced with a new laptop for that refurb laptops previous owner. Now you are getting the "hot potato" refurb.

I've not had great luck with refurbs, in that there are a much higher % of bad ones out of the box. I've gone through that with BB, Fry's, newegg, and I would say with a few exceptions the hassle isn't worth the savings.

If you have a new one with a full 1 or 2 year warranty you have a better shot at a good laptop.

5. Midas Touch

Reputations:
  6. Midas Touch

Reputations:
  7. Midas Touch

Reputations:
    an email from Ted.
    1. If customer would like to swap into another unit, MSI will offer $1400 value if he choose to use this credit to purchase any MSI gaming laptop
    2. If the customer would like to do a trade-in for next gen GPU, MSI will honor a $1400 value when he decided to trade in
    3. If end user would like to get a unit right now, MSI will offer him a refurb of GT73VR Titan Pro 4K-479 which comes with a i7-7820HK/GTX1080/16G/256 SSD+1TB

8. hmscott

Reputations:
    That's odd that they would only give you one model as a choice for a refurb, unless you want a 4k, I'd assume you'd rather have the 120hz model. So on top of a refurb they only give you one choice, that's awful.

Respond nicely and tell them exactly which model you want, and that you want a new one, with a full warranty. No charge.

You didn't initiate the problem, MSI did. Your choice should be honored, not theirs.

The CM238 GT73 model isn't around any more, but you might ask for one: GT73VR Titan Pro-425

Or, one of the HM175 models, which perform just as well: GT73VR Titan Pro-865 or GT73VR Titan Pro-866

Here are all the GT73VR 1080 models:
    https://us.msi.com/Laptop/GT73VR-TITAN-PRO-7th-Gen-GEFORCE<sup>®<sup>-GTX-1080/Specification

Actually I would ask them to replace my GT80S with a GT83 if we are talking 1 for 1 equivalence, but for me that dual PSU laptop is a bit overkill for me, but for you, IDK - what do you want? :)

Midas Touch likes this.
  9. Midas Touch

Reputations:
    Thanks for the input. Here is Ted K advice; "My personal recommendation is to go with #3 - the refurbished GT73VR 4K-479. It’s a $3199 laptop. You paid $2,499 for your MSI GT80S 6QE Titan SLI-274. Had the GT80S been repaired, it would have been considered refurbished. The warranty will expire July 28, 2018, the same date as your GT80S. We will QC the refurbished system, and if it passes our tests, we can ship it back to you within 3-4 working days upon your approval." as I said many times before...I will not accept refurb. Doesn't matter what I want, they don't listen anyway.

hmscott likes this.
  10. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What I would do is accept #3, however convince them to ship it with a 120 Hz display instead of a 4K display, in my opinion 120 hz FHD > 60 hz 4K when there is only a single GTX 1080.
    Your system was a 980M SLI system and without any extra charge you would get a system with a better cpu, better screen and way better VGA.
    HID also offered to test it to roll out the possibility of MSI sending you a lemon.

I do not see any reason to not accept, especially if they even let you keep your upgrade option.

Seems to me you completely misunderstand the term "refurbished". I believe you think a refurbished unit is an old machine which is full of scratches and dents and other sings of wear because someone sent it back to MSI after months of usage and MSI just did a new paste job and now they are trying to send you this crappy used machine.
    No.
    I dont know how it is in the US, but in the EU refurbished means 2 things:
    - brand new item which got its package damaged during storage or shipping and the package got replaced (no damage on item)
    - returned item where components with physical sings of wear got replaced to brand new one
    I saw refurbished units which looked brand new, they even had the seal which had to be removed and everything.
    If it is the same in the US there is a high chance that you will get a unit which looks brand new, just got labeled "refurbished" due to law restrictions. At least it has a higher chance than getting a crappy used one.

But just in case I would state that you will only accept the refurbished unit if it does not have any signs of wear not on the outside nor in the inside and it does not have any malfunctions, including dead or stuck pixel and they allow you to keep your future upgrade possibility and you want a 120 Hz FHD screen instead of a 4K screen.

So you have 3 options:
    1) Go for a much better "refurbished" labeled system with the above mentioned terms
    2) try to convince HID to get a refund from MSI. This can take months IF they cooperate.
    3) Issue a civil lawsuit. This will take years to get resolved.

Personally I would go with the GT73VR. A free upgrade to a much better system (possibly which looks brand new and has no issues) is in my opinion is the smartest choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.