MSI NVidia 770 Twin Frozr SLI

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by StormJumper, Feb 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Sorry, typo on the 980 price. And ya, like I said I don't have time to do all the research right now just a quick glance at what a few retailers have them at.

2. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  3. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Same could be said of you sounds like someone is frustrated with themselves..and should seek professional help.

If I wanted that I would ask about that...since people are beginning to fail already and fail to read what I was asking about instead.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2015
  4. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    I don't see how its a fail. Your question was pretty much answered in my first post, you can also look up the specs on your parts and use this http://web2.0calc.com/ to do some simple addition and add up the max watt consumption of your build and compare it to your PSU. Math is your friend.

In my personal opinion, weather you want to listen or agree doesn't matter. I would go down the 980 route. The only reason I would touch SLI is if they didn't make a single GPU powerful enough for what I was aiming to do, or if I wanted to run more than 4 monitors at once.

octiceps likes this.
  5. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    That's ironic coming from someone who rants, raves, and foams at the mouth more than anybody in this forum. :D

6. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It fails when someone else hijack from what my posting was asking about. If one wanted a 980 SLI then one would ask that - getting a high price GPU is cost prohibited and I am not going to spend money for it til it comes down in price more and if I go Maxwell - I most likely will get 970 SLI instead not 980 as the price will not give me much in return. Maybe when I go Windows 10 then I'll consider get a 900 series upgrade but not til then. Now if someone else buys 980 SLI for me - I would go for that but cost doesn't justify buying it for me when my needs don't require the newest toys that will not benefit me currently.

Well just doing a simple search found MSI PSU caclulater...more useful then the site you posted...

http://us.msi.com/power-supply-calculator/

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  7. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Read what I wrote carefully before you go off again. I said sell your 770 and get a single 980. Never said anything about 980 SLI. And clearly you didn't hear about the whole 970 VRAM fiasco. That's why nobody recommends that card anymore, esp. for SLI, and pissed-off 970 owners are even returning them en masse.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  8. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    So you're telling me I didn't need to highjack your thread.. because you didn't need to build a thread because a simple search could have solved your problem? My point was that a calculator could have solved your question(some people are even capable of doing simple addition in their own head, no assistance needed).

And as Octiceps said, He never said SLI two 980 cards, just get a single one. It was pretty clear to me. He actually took it a step further and said to avoid SLI unless you absolutely need it.

9. bluefox94

bluefox94 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    True, getting a 980 would be the best option

10. kent1146

kent1146 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ok.... So ignoring all of the previous non-relevant posts...

You're better off going with a single GTX 980 than you are with 2x GTX 770's in SLI. I actually used to have 2x GTX 770's in SLI, and sold them both to get a single GTX 980 because SLI is a pain in the rear.

The biggest problem is that a GTX 770 has a 2GB frame buffer, which is going to start showing its age once you start getting near 1440p gaming resolutions. On top of that, you also need to deal with microstutter from SLI configurations, and possibly need to deal with SLI not being supported in games (especially non-AAA titles, and early-access games).

Overall, a single GTX 980 will end up being more headache-free than 2x GTX 770's in SLI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.