MSI NVidia 770 Twin Frozr SLI

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by StormJumper, Feb 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    ok, I am going to get a 2nd MSI TWIN GTX770 OC and put them in SLI but my current PS is a 750W aka EVA SuperNOVA NEX750 will this handle two MSI GTX770OC with it's current power setup? I know this is for laptop but just wanting to know if anyone has experience on this as the Desktop side has almost zero existence right now?

2. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    From the specs I can find it says that card pulls 230 Watts. So if you double that then you are at about 500 watts, which leaves 200 for the rest of your system and any overhead you like to keep so you're not running your PSU at maximum output all the time. You could run two of them off of your current PSU if the rest of your system is low power, but I would probably get something a bit larger if it were me.

3. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You could get the video card and monitor power consumption. As long as your PSU is half decent (in that 750 W rating is not peak power but sustained power, you should be fine). If you see your system takes up close to 750 W you can always upgrade the PSU afterwards.

4. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    /facepalm don't get another 770 for SLI. Sell it and get a 980 or 290X/290. You're gonna be limited by the 2GB VRAM right out of the gate and have to put up with SLI quirks. Plus you won't have to worry about PSU.

Oh and you're getting a second non-reference open air cooler type card? Get ready for your case and upper card temps to go up. So you'll probably need to increase cooling, too.

Just don't do it.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  5. StormJumper

Reputations:
    What is that???

Really sell and get AMD...when AMD themselves can't even compete on making stable GPU drivers yeah like I want to go that route. I am only running on a single 27" IPS monitor not going 4k as I am not planning to buy those games. Nvidia been eating up AMD because they can't see to make a stable driver. I stopped using AMD after my gateway NV52 experienced video stability after going from 12.10 driver version and after going back to 12.10 AMD driver my laptop has performed without any problems. So that should tell you since they failed to fix their driver problem don't expect me to fix AMD driver problem for them by buying poor software drivers.

My 770 right now doesn't produce alot of high temp as I don't OC it-as that is the OC version already. I doubt my case temp will go up I have a full tower with vents and plenty of fans to prevent your nightmare scenario. I have a Cosair Obsidian 750D more then enough room to keep my system cool and quiet. Doesn't sound like you know my setup to know my real situation to make such conclusion unless you done this very same setup yourself.

6. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Then sell your 770 and get a 980

7. StormJumper

Reputations:
    Guess someone didn't read what I said I don't play 4k or COD or Crysis games. And not everyone has money to just pour out of their wallet. I upgraded from GTX460 to GTX770 to play my old games not to play those new games that other gamers game so you don't know my real gaming needs.

8. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    So why are you getting another 770? If you play old games, a single 770 is more than fine. Why get another one?

I mentioned 980 as a better alternative to 770 SLI, not necessarily to "play 4k or COD or Crysis games." Not that a single 980 is enough to play recent and upcoming games at 4K to begin with.

And look at it this way. You mentioned you have a single 27" IPS monitor, correct? I'm gonna guess this is a 2.5K (2560x1600 or 2560x1440) screen, maybe one of them cheap Korean displays. Since the current-gen consoles released, a ton of games are starting to use >2GB VRAM at just 1080p. A 770 only has 2GB VRAM. A 980 has double that at 4GB. Adding a second 770 does not double its VRAM due to how SLI works. And you expect to play new games at 2.5K with just 2GB VRAM?! So you're shooting yourself in the foot there. 770 SLI might have the raw horsepower to stand up to single 980 or even beat it (caveat: when/if SLI works and works well -- goes back to the SLI quirks I mentioned earlier), but it doesn't matter if it lacks VRAM. Performance will suffer.

Single 980 is also way more efficient (single 165W GPU vs. 2 x 230W GPUs), runs cooler and quieter and won't heat up your case as much, won't necessitate a PSU upgrade, saves money on your monthly electricity bill, and is just plain newer and better tech with support for Maxwell-exclusive features that can't be found on an old 770 Kepler card like HDMI 2.0, full DX12 hardware support, MFAA, DXGI, VR Direct, and improved NVENC encoder supporting up to 4096x4096 130 Mbps. If you care about any of that.

TL;DR Do whatever you wish, why am I wasting my time on someone like you LOL

CptXabaras likes this.
  9. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    If these prices are accurate(don't have time to actually hunt and check for sure)..

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Computer-Corp-N770-2GD5/dp/B00CZ58WUI

Then you can sell your existing card for about $200-250. Add that to the $450 you would spend on a new 770 and you have a total of $700. Lets say you do hunt around and get a good deal on the 770 so your total is $600. A GTX 980 is only $550 at newegg brand new.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127834&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Desktop Graphics Cards-_-N82E16814127834&gclid=CKPV9uT358MCFQdffgodeGEA_g&gclsrc=aw.ds

Considering all of the other valid points Octiceps has mentioned I would probably go with the GTX 980 route as well.

octiceps likes this.
  10. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Hmmm not sure where you're getting those prices from @Syndrome. 980 MSRP is $550 (in fact that is how much the Newegg MSI 980 Gaming you linked costs). 770's are very hard to find new nowadays that aren't priced completely out of proportion (MSRP is $330) since the 970 has replaced it, but there are a few under $300. Considering the significantly faster R9 290 is creeping down to the low $200 range, I'd say the actual value of a 770 is no more than $200. If OP is lucky and his 770 is in good condition, he might be able to sell it for that, and then spend $350 to upgrade to a 980, which is less than it would cost to get another 770 and a better PSU.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.