MSI notebook order thread: post your orders here

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Ultra Male, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Do NOT use Winaero Tweaker, it will destroy your OS

You need CCleaner Portable, rest I cannot sit and type in a post as it'd take me a week to do so.

SyncBack Pro is a file backup program to backup your files to external media, Macrium Reflect is an OS Imaging program, 2 different things.

Make sure you see this:

Macrium Reflect Installation/Usage Guide

and this

The best and fastest way to backup your data!

Papusan and Donald@HIDevolution like this.
  2. Ginerashon

Ginerashon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    From a gamer standpoint why get windows 10 pro vs home?

3. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Why choose Windows Pro over Home?

So you have access to the Group Policy Editor

As you may be well aware, Windows 10 although boasts great support for new hardware and is required to make the most out of your new hardware especially newer CPUs which are not supported on previous OSes like Windows 7 anymore, it has its quirks and privacy invasion like automatically sending your keystrokes, displaying ads, telemetry, and much more.

While there are many utilities out there such as O&O ShutUp10 that help you eliminate most if not all of the nasty stuff, the Home Edition lacks one very important feature which is the Group Policy Editor. Think of it as flying on an airplane, do you want to be the passenger or the pilot in control? That's exactly what the Group Policy Editor enables you to do, be in control of how your OS behaves.

Examples of things you can disable / enable easily with the Group Policy Editor:

1) Turn off file history completely (this is a useless feature which Microsoft is phasing out in its next build but you can still disable it now)

2) Disable / Prevent your computer from joining a Home Group (Home Group is a crippled way of sharing files that rarely works if ever, one is better off manually selecting the folders that he wants to share and giving them appropriate permissions by right clicking on that folder and navigating to the Sharing tab)

3) Disable Windows DVR (Gameplay Recording Mode). If you have that enabled which is the default state, then Steam warns you that it may hamper your game play/performance so its best to turn it off completely using the Group PolicyEditor). You can do this in the Home Edition but it requires a lot of complex registry edits which are time consuming. There are better tools to record game play such as nVIDIA's Shadow Play or better yet, a program by Mirillis called "Action!"

4) Turn off Microsoft Consumer Services

5) Turn off Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program

6) Completely disable Windows Defender and not have it re-enable itself if you are wanting to install your own AntiVirus since Windows Defender bogs down the system's performance by as much as 36% according to the latest AV Comparatives Performance Test: http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php?chart=chart4&year=2017&month=10&sort=1&zoom=2

7) Disable Windows Driver Updates through Windows Updates

8) Turn off the Windows Explorer Notification about new apps that can handle new extensions. By default, every time you install a new application that can handle an extension, let's say, a new video player or an internet browser, etc. you get an annoying popup telling you that you have installed a new application that can handle these extensions

9) Disable Windows Error Reporting, that never does any good and only eats a lot of space writing the details of background errors. Microsoft has never in its history fixed any of these reported errors so why keep this useless service enabled on your system and creating unnecessary writes to your SSD?

10) Disable unwanted features such as Windows Ink, biometrical features, etc.

11) Disable automatic downloading of map updates (who needs map updates on a laptop? this is not a GPS device /phone)

12) Turn off Work Folders (this is used in corporate environments and not needed for home or power users)

and much more, these are just some of the things you can control with the Group Policy Editor.

Sakr3d and Papusan like this.
  4. asm1

asm1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well after my unpleasant experience with static ruining my laptop whilst I was doing a repaste of my GE62VR7RF Apache Pro last weekend, I ordered the following :

1 x MSI GE63VR 7RE(Raider)-013XFP
    Specs as ordered:

Intel Core i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor, 15.6" Full HD 120Hz Screen,
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit,
    8GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD + 1000GB HDD, Dedicated GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Graphics,
    USB3 | HDMI | Bluetooth | DisplayPort, Steelseries Backlit Full Colour Keyboard, 9S7-16P112-013

Obviously things from my GE62 made it to the GE63:

Windows 10 pro x64
    16GB RAM
    SAMSUNG SM961 256GB in the second NVME/M2 Slot
    Intel 8265 (had a 9260 but that died :()
    DVD Rom Drive is getting put in an external USB enclosure as is the 1TB HDD.

Only slight weirdness was that the 256 MB Toshiba SSD it came with had no OS installed :eek::eek:. Haven't looked at the 11TB SSD yet as I swapped my Seagate Firecuda in. Did a "reinstall windows" on the Samsung drive from my old machine, got a new W10 Key it and it is fine :) Just got to finish reinstalling apps now and then get rid of the bloat.

Chuffed to bits with it but first boot seeing the bios freaked me out a bit :D

5. Ginerashon

Ginerashon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Phoenix

Thank you for that very detailed bit of information. Makes me regret not having all of these things disabled as my desktop is Win10Home. I'll definitely need to get on that for my laptop purchase.

6. Sakr3d

Sakr3d Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was finally able to start installing Win10 Pro on Thursday and spent the weekend working on it. So I went through the Windows 10 Clean Install and have completed many of these things. I even used Autoruns to turn off the nvidia telemetry stuff.

Xerion likes this.
  7. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Perfect man! Shout out if you have any doubts or concerns

8. Sakr3d

Sakr3d Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I will. I'm still learning how to use Windows 10.....

Do I need to install Classic Shell to change me start menu?

9. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Donald@HIDevolution and Sakr3d like this.
  10. Xerion

Xerion Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have you done the tweaks and fixes yet? I'd be curious to know if you do and if they are still correct / relevant. I was going through a few of those this past weekend and some seemed a bit different now.

Donald@HIDevolution and Sakr3d like this.