]]>

MSI notebook order thread: post your orders here

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Phoenix, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Allicrombie

Allicrombie Newbie

Reputations:
    Oh geez, same thing happened to me! At almost EXACTLY the one year mark (end of warranty), mine started overheating and shutting down. Mine had an Nvidia though, I think it was a 460M?

2. Nickbdt86

Nickbdt86 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm still using an Asus G73SW, it has a 460m with 1.5gigs. I barely get 15fps in overwatch on lowest lol. I'm getting ready to buy my self this gt75vr laptop my self.

Phoenix and Donald@HIDevolution like this.
  3. Phoenix

Phoenix Colonel

Reputations:
    Wow! pretty impressive how that Asus laptop has held up for so long. I've never had one that even worked and they were all refunded.

Anyway, you will be extremely happy with this laptop in every aspect. From the performance, to the screen, to the keyboard, you name it!

Nickbdt86 likes this.
  4. Nickbdt86

Nickbdt86 Newbie

Reputations:
    That @Donald@HIDevolution guy saved me so much money too, he's a champion.

Heres the specs
    https://pastebin.com/d1SusCyi

Can't wait to replace this Asus g73sw.
    For those wondering how ive had this laptop for 6 years, ive replaced the motherboard 4 times, resoldered the dc power jack, 3 times, ive replaced the keyboard twice, and its missing keys and i removed the optical drive, and left it open for fresh air, it lost like 5 screws so its only held together with half the screws.

5. Phoenix

Phoenix Colonel

Reputations:
    Very nice man! welcome to the club!

Lemme know when you get it if you want me to help you tweak it over TeamViewer as I know the ins and outs of this laptop!

These are the Phoenix Tweaks:

1- Uninstallation of all the Windows Store Garbage Apps like 3D Paint, Print 3D, Alarms & Clock, Feedback Hub, Maps, Groove Music, News, Weather, etc.
    2- Removing all Windows 10 Privacy Invasion stuff like Telemetry, sending your keystrokes to Microsoft, automatically installing suggested apps in the background, allowing Microsoft to conduct experiments on your laptop, disabling automatic driver updates through Windows updates, disabling Windows 10 ads, disabling Cortana, Cloud Search etc.
    3- Removal of nVIDIA and Intel Telemetry
    4- Adjusting a lot of options in PC Settings like disabling Windows Tablet Mode (you have a laptop not a tablet), disabling suggestions appearing in the start menu, disabling automatically connecting to Paid WiFi Hotspots, disabling Game DVR which reduced performance in games, and a lot more.
    5- Replacing Cortana with a much better search tool that finds results instantly called Everything which finds any file you want as soon as you start typing even a few letters of its name and it doesn't even rely on the Windows Indexing Service to do this!
    6- Restoring the classic Windows Photo Viewer
    7- Restoring the Classic Windows 7 Start Menu
    8- Removal of the new and useless 3D Objects Folder that appears when you open "Computer"
    9- Completely disabling Windows Defender from its roots (including all scheduled tasks and startup files) for those who want to install their own AV. ESET NOD32 Antivirus is highly recommended if you want the utmost security with the least system performance impact.
    10- Updating all drivers to the latest versions in case they weren't up to date.
    11- Disabling the performance hit that is caused by the Meltdown and Spectre patches recently released by Microsoft (optional, only if you don't mind having this security vulnerability and would rather have your CPU's full performance back)
    12- Overprovisioning your SSD anywhere between 10-20% depending on how much space you can spare to ensure optimal and consistent performance at all times.
    13- Blocking the Google Chrome Software Reporter Tool (which causes a high system load when it is scanning files)

[​IMG]

Meanwhile as you are waiting for your new beast, you can have a look at this mini tear down video (not full teardown)T:

6. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    wowowowowowowo hold the phone here for a moment....
    Is that a giant passive ass heatsink for the M.2 sata drives?!

God I love MSI for their care.

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  7. Phoenix

Phoenix Colonel

Reputations:
    Yes and I love it, all the attention to detail. Keeps the m.2 SSDs cool.

8. chranotik

chranotik Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello all i just received my new laptop yesterday and have been messing with it and doing lots of driver installs and moving files over.

I ordered it from hidevolution.com with @Donald@HIDevolution helping me out and he made this purchase a breeze with no problems what so ever.

Here are the specs i chose for this build: https://pastebin.com/PzdEZhjp

So far i'm very impressed with this laptop and been having a blast with it. The steel series keyboard is a nice touch as i've been spoiled with mechanical keyboards for years and I could not use a laptop without one. I'll try gaming on it later today once i get everything setup the way i need it...

9. Phoenix

Phoenix Colonel

Reputations:
    Very nice specs man. Yeah the keyboard and screen are one of my favorite things about this laptop.

Lemme know if you need help tweaking it.

10. spurst

spurst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I like my GT75 so far. No real complaints yet.

Phoenix likes this.