MSI notebook order thread: post your orders here

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Ultra Male, Jan 19, 2017.

1. sona

sona Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Maggie, thank you for your response--I'm so relieved to learn I'm not the only one who has been reading and reading and wishing I had a tech dictionary on my desktop to demystify so much of the content in the threads! :)

Ten days or so ago, when the Spectre/Meltdown "event" began to surface in the media (tangentially at first), I began to follow a thread over at a subforum of another forum; it was populated primarily by programmers and PC builders, and the conversations--in language fully understood and banter that was tossed back and forth with ease--might just as well have been in Sanskrit!

I'll keep reading here and hoping not to irritate the experts with idiotic questions....

2. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    the tweaking session will also include a brief tutorial on things and how to make the best of your PC :D so don't worry, you are in safe hands with the Phoenix. I will make it all very easy for you to understand.

Speaking of the Spectre/Meltdown patches, they will decrease your taptop's performance slightly, so if you are brave and don't mind a slight security hole, I can help you disable the patch to get the full performance of your taptop. I don't think some hacker on the other side of the world is gonna get a notification that you disabled the patch and try to target you.

Be brave...be like Phoenix... :eek:[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vasudev likes this.
  3. sona

sona Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    :D When I began my "session" with Donald, I had a bucket list of configurations that I had compiled for the purpose of creating a laptop that would be faster and more powerful than I need at this point in time--solely because I expected that the security patches coming (and yet to come) would jeopardize the speed of whatever I bought.

Simple math: I wanted "15," expected I'd lose up to 30% of that, or "4.5," so I decided to order "19.5."

By the end of my conversation with Donald, the world had changed. :) The reality is that I'm using my laptop primarily for word processing and Internet research/fact-checking (and occasional Skyping, some streaming).

That, apparently, meant I had little to worry about with respect to a slowdown--and with that, I waved goodbye to dual-channel 16GB at 2666 MHz (vs. single channel at 2444), and to M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe SSD (vs. M.2 SATA SSD).

When my unit arrives in a month or so, @Phoenix, I will take you up on your kind offer to disable the patch(es). I'm already a sitting duck for identity theft for too many other reasons. :rolleyes:

I'm about to start a thread over at Networking and Wireless that picks up on my post yesterday re the Intel or Killer wireless cards. I don't think it's appropriate of me to hijack someone else's thread any further.

Coming up!

Vasudev and Ultra Male like this.
  4. Allicrombie

Allicrombie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ha! I just rediscovered my old account from ....err...a long time ago... I'm in the market for a new gaming laptop and I'm finding myself drawn to the MSI Titans, thanks to all the wonderful info from @Phoenix. I haven't pulled the trigger yet but I'm getting close. My last gaming laptop was an Asus G73 back when those were still new and shiny and I gamed on it long enough to know that I don't want to go near anything Asus related again!

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  5. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    awesome man. what laptop are you planning to get? don't forget to email donald@hidevolution.com for your NBR Discount

6. Allicrombie

Reputations:
    looking at the GT73VR line, just not quite sure which one.

7. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Ask Donald if they still have one like mine ending with -425 otherwise see if your budget allows you to go for the GT75VR

8. yotano21

yotano21 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I remember those G73s, I had one with the AMD 7970m that overheated and finally failed for the 2nd time right before the warranty was about to end. Sent it to repair and sold it when I got it back. Since then, I have never gone back to any AMD product.

9. Allicrombie

Reputations:
    Oh geez, same thing happened to me! At almost EXACTLY the one year mark (end of warranty), mine started overheating and shutting down. Mine had an Nvidia though, I think it was a 460M?

10. Nickbdt86

Nickbdt86 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm still using an Asus G73SW, it has a 460m with 1.5gigs. I barely get 15fps in overwatch on lowest lol. I'm getting ready to buy my self this gt75vr laptop my self.