MSI notebook order thread: post your orders here

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Phoenix, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I ordered from HIDevolution with the following specs:

Custom Built MSI GT73VR 7RF TITAN PRO-425 17.3" nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

LCD Panel

Chi Mei N173HHE-G32 Full HD (1920x1080) 120Hz 5ms 94%NTSC TN Matte LCD w/ G-Sync Technology
    Display Calibration
    Yes, display professionally calibrated w/ profile saved to USB drive - $50.00
    Display Warranty
    30 Days Zero Defective Pixel Warranty (perfect panel guarantee) - $35.00
    Video Card
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 w/ 8GB GDDR5 X
    Processor
    6th Generation Intel Core i7-7820HK Quad Core Processor, 2.9 GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.9GHz), 8MB Smart Cache
    Thermal Paste
    IC Diamond on CPU + GPU - installed by HIDevolution - $35.00
    Memory
    Kingston MSI24D4S7D8MB-16 (17-17-17-39) 64GB Dual Channel DDR4/2400MHz (4 x 16GB) - installed by HIDevolution - $470.00
    M.2 PCIe RAID Options
    RAID 0 (Striping - Best Performance) - MSI Super RAID 4
    M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD RAID Configurations
    4TB (2 x 2TB) Samsung 960 Pro M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe 3D-VNAND SSD - installed by HIDevolution - $2,725.00
    M.2 SATA SSD Slot 3
    1TB Samsung 850 EVO (3D VNAND TECH) M.2 SATA SSD - Installed by HIDevolution - $408.00
    2.5" HDD/SSD Bay
    Samsung 850 EVO Series (3D VNAND Tech) SATA3 6Gb/s 4TB SSD - installed by HIDevolution - $1,620.00
    Wireless Cards
    Intel® Wireless-AC 8265 802.11 ac/a/b/g/n 2x2 NGFF - Bluetooth 4.2 - installed by HIDevolution - $20.00
    Operating System
    Genuine Windows® 10 Pro, 64bit, English - $199.00
    Operating System Clean Install
    Yes, Clean Install of Windows 10 including 32GB Clean Install Flash Drive - $40.00
    Power Adapter
    330W AC Power Adapter (supports 100-240V)
    Power Cord
    UK 6 Ft Power Cord C13 - $10.00
    Internal Battery
    Internal 8 cell (75Wh) battery
    Audio
    Dynaudio Tech Speakers x 2 + Subwoofer x 1
    Steelseries Keyboard
    Steel Series Gaming Backlit Color Changing Programmable 102 keys w/ Silver Lining Print - U.S. English
    Warranty and Service
    1 Year MSI + HIDevolution Limited Warranty w/ 1 Year Accidental Damage "No Oops" Protection (1 Year Global Warranty), LIFETIME HIDevolution Technical Support
    MSI Front Lid Logo Color
    Red

TOTAL PRICE: $8400 USD
    ======================================================================
    18-Jan-2017 = Order placed
    23-Jan-2017 = Pre-Production (Gathering parts)
    24-Jan-2017 = In Production
    25-Jan-2017 = Changed RAM Configuration as per my request
    26-Jan-2017 = Changed RAM Configuration as per my request
    27-Jan-2017 = Stress testing and quality checks
    28-Jan-2017 = Laptop Shipped
    29-Jan-2017 = Laptop Delivered
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

internals of the laptop:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SteelSeries Keyboard + SteelSeries Sensei Wireless Gaming Mouse + SteelSeries Mousepad Combo FTW:

[​IMG]
    A huge thanks goes to @Ted@HIDevolution and @Donald@HIDevolution

Mr. Donald was a very pleasant person to talk to, he didn't sound like a sales man at all and instead of trying to oversell me stuff to make their company more money, he actually was going through every option in my order ensuring that I really need it and saved me a couple of hundreds of dollars by omitting things from my order such as the factory USB recovery flash disk and the factory recovery DVDs which were almost $75 USD since he explained, that will just put back the OS according to the MSI factory image with their partitions and whatnot which I probably won't need since I like a clean install usually and I have a certain way of setting up my partitions.

The reason I went with HIDevolution *again* comes purely from my great and very positive experience with their service, warranty, and customer service. To see more about what I mean, see:

HIDevolution - The Best Company I ever dealt with

HIDevolution's Warranty!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  2. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    On a side note, I see from the MSI Drivers page for the GT73VR 7RF TITAN PRO, I see they have a SteelSeries keyboard driver: SteelSeries Engine 3 v3.8.5

Is that the same SteelSeries Engine found here? that one has a newer version of 3.9.6. Is that only for the Mice or can that also be used for this laptop? why would MSI go for an older version when the laptop was just released or are they different?

RalfTech and hmscott like this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    For me there's no SteelSeries download in the "Drivers" section, but there is a 3.9.7 package download in the "Utility" section:

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GT73VR-7RF-Titan-Pro.html#down-utility&Win10 64

Phoenix likes this.
  4. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    Actually, once you have your laptop, open the app and it has an update option, and it has the quickest access to the latest version directly from SteelSeries. :)

Phoenix likes this.
  6. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    one more question, I see on the drivers page, there is a Thunderbolt Firmware update: EC Firmware v7A1EMS1.108

does that mean that i need to do it when I get my laptop and it doesn't already come with the latest?

Also, what BIOS do you recommend / EC?

I see EC Firmware: 17A1EMS1.108

does that mean the laptop comes with an older EC?

hmscott likes this.
  7. hmscott

Reputations:
    It varies from laptop to laptop, you can't give a blanket answer - sometimes you want to keep up to date as bugs are found and fixed early in the production cycle, and other times you want to *WAIT* and let the vendor / brave owners test and fix / refix the firmware until it stabilizes.

For example, AW's first BIOS's were better than 8 updates that followed, as AW tried to "fix" the temperature problems with detuning of various types.

I haven't seen MSI do that, but there have been times where a new BIOS is pulled due to problems, so I always wait - unless the listed problem is something that was bugging me, which is rare.

With the Kabylake being new, I'd wait and live with the shipping version - and make sure you keep a copy of all of the firmware that shipped with it - download or image it - and make sure you know how to revert versions of each type before updating so you can recover from a bad update.

I'd develop a slow hand for doing firmware updates on the MSI, as opposed to the Clevo where you all ride the edge.

I haven't seen a later BIOS / firmware update improve performance in Asus / MSI / AW - they have always reduced performance if there is any change at all. Usually the bug fixes are for obscure issues.

Phoenix likes this.
  8. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    so @hmscott now me and you are in the same club :D I never knew you had the same laptop, please list your specs (since you don't have a signature :rolleyes:)

hmscott likes this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    Nah, don't have a GT73VR, although I might on down the road :)

The software is similar across the MSI line, and after many years of many models the companies all follow their own predilections that show through each model in their line, and it becomes easy to predict the unfolding of firmware events.

For example, the Asus ROG laptops all come out with *hot* firmware settings - engineering driven, great performance.

Then some novice users complain about high temps - without undervolting or knowing the temp peaks are only briefly reached as the fans kick in and cool things down.

Then Asus management get involved and tell the engineers to detune it. So a BIOS comes out that drops the performance. Avoid these :)

Just like your experience in owning a Clevo gives you a sense of what to do with them, same thing goes for MSI, Asus, AW, etc.

Phoenix likes this.
  10. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    well one thing I am cetainly happy about is that the MSI Drivers download is super fast unlike the nightmares I was and still face downloading the latest Clevo drivers.

steberg and hmscott like this.