Msi Ms-1221

Discussion in 'MSI' started by dolto, Jun 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MR2eggz

MR2eggz Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Help, anyone knows how to update the bios for a barebone?
    Current ver. is 2.xxxx, and LiveUpdate3 doesn't seem to download the updated ver. 3.33.
    I don't have a floppy drive, and the downloaded a1221IMS.333 doesn't have something like setup.exe, etc.....

2. miloman

miloman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You need to boot dos from a cd/dvd or usb-stick.... Try google, this is not as simple as it looks if you don't have ms-dos anymore...
    Looks like a strange version though: MSI website shows only version 1.33 for Vista and 3.33 for XP.

3. robm@rkcomputer.net

robm@rkcomputer.net Company Representative

Reputations:
    There are 3 files in the zip, a1221IMS.333, flash.bat, AFU408_D.EXE.

You need to create either a bootable floppy or a cd. boot from either and then run "flash.bat" at the prompt.

If you do not have an external floppy go here and it explains how to create a bootable bios flash cd and inject the 3 files:

http://bootdisk.com/

4. MR2eggz

MR2eggz Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    thanks Noclue,

I'm planning to try it out this summer (when I have more free time).

Well, I'm just so glad that I chose the c2d T5450 1.66ghz, my laptop is barely warm...I'm even more excited that the Sony SZ 13.3" at Frys is really hot on its underside (running T8100 2.4ghz)....:D

The only downside is that liveupdate from MSI doesn't support barebones, i.e. we have to manually update it ourselves. :(

5. Ferdinand

Ferdinand Newbie

Reputations:
    So does anybody know for sure if the PR200 supports 4GB of memory? And how much of a difference would an upgrade to a 7200RPM disk make? And why are you upgrading the cpu to 2GHz? Is 1.5Ghz core2 not comfortable? I'm thinking of buying the PR200 1.5Ghz as a second system for email, browsing, music listening, podcast listening, some movies, trying out new linux distros and just being able to do all of this wherever I am (garden, school, at a friends place).

6. miloman

miloman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Positive about the 4GB, only windows vista 32 uses 'only' 3062MB. Did this upgrade because memory was rediciously cheap in NL, and I needed to open it anyhow.
    The T5250 was not enough for HD (H.264 1080p) content: gave freezes and sound stuttering. T7700 does the job, although the onboard video is barely sufficient.... But quality is superb on my hd-ready tv!
    And since the HD is always the bottleneck, I just exchanged it. Not a very big diffence though. Same reason I use raptor's in my desktops as OS and program disks.

7. MR2eggz

MR2eggz Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    ...73 procs...:eek:

8. MR2eggz

MR2eggz Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ferd,

PR200 or MSI 1221 barebone...you could get a barebone and spend less than an hour putting it together.
    1.5ghz is perfect for your usage....don't worry too much about the cpu since it can very easily upgraded a year from now, esp. w/ new cpu coming out, you can get your generation cpu for cheap next year.....and unless you expect to die soon :rolleyes: , what's the hurry, it's only your second computer, not your primary one. Just a thought.

9. miloman

miloman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hail vista :rolleyes: Oh well, it's good for the economy...

10. MR2eggz

MR2eggz Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Just found out that my BIOS is up to date: SMBIOS 2.4, BIOS V3.3,
    checked it w/ "dmidecode" in linux console/terminal, which is a great way to find out who actually make the world's laptops, exp: Sony is made by Asus.....

info here:
    http://tuxmobil.org/laptop_oem.html

Ms 1221 is actually made by MSI (I thought MSI was just a reseller/OEM).

Good info.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.