Msi laptop black screen with no backlight on boot but works with fn+f2 and safe mode.

Discussion in 'MSI' started by SuperMAG, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Gotcha, best of luck to you. :)

2. SuperMAG

SuperMAG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ok i went to my IT friend and after a week of research its back to edid problem, the edid is currupted by the combination of nvidea and windows 10. there is a whole 300 pages topic on it here:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...levo-lcd-panels.779449/page-158#post-10090770

In that page there is also a way to flash new edid with linux, but the problem is the edid file, does anyone have working MSI GX640 to extract edid from.

I uploaded a tool here that extracts the edid in dat, i will have to find a way to convert it to bin.
    https://mega.nz/#!GoYgHRRT!hiiU6qnqe-1Ez9mxhdS7Zxhj9CqbgazbuAARROfsHRY

So anyone with a working gx640 please help!

3. Molvol

Molvol Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    If you don't find the identical EDID you can just try any other that closely matches your screen. You practically can't cause damage and it's corrupt already, so only to gain and fix.
    You may also wanna try CRU: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/thread-custom-resolution-utility-cru

That overrides an EDID and runs the driver "blind" on the given output, so your screen may start working again once the missing/corrupt EDID info is overridden in the registry.

4. SuperMAG

Reputations:
    the CRU also doesnt work, actually i did find a correct edid with moninfo and made an 128byte edid file using tools and stuff and even made bootable linux usb like in that website with instructions, i flashed the edid and nothing happened, multiple times, everything is correct. i donno.

After that i created the inf file for my monitor using moninfo and disabled driver certificate and installed the inf with overrided edid on the monitor, and even in registry it shows the edid is overriden and no bad edid message but still, as soon as i enable the nvidia driver, its black screen and reboot.

i opened the back of laptop yesterday, there is tiny wire that has been burned by gpu that connects to one of the 4 screws of gpu. i soldered it but still didnt change anything, can anyone tell me what does this wire do, is it related to this problem.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    multiple images upload

5. johnbb

johnbb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looks like a ground wire to me

6. SuperMAG

Reputations:
    What is ground wire, I mean what's it's function. Is it related to the problem u am facing.

7. johnbb

Reputations:
    Ground wire limits the build-up of static electricity. This one is not mandatory on your MSI GX640... I still have one GT640 lying around somewhere in my garage with dead bezel due to excessive load on hinges.

8. SuperMAG

Reputations:
    so its the not the reason for the for my screen issues, about the hinges it happened to me too on the first year, and to many others who bought this laptop, i build like a ton of superglue around with screws and it and its holding out.

9. johnbb

Reputations:
    I remember not using that wire at all. But I'm pretty confident it has nothing to do with your EDID problem.

10. SuperMAG

Reputations:
    ah ok, i am afraid if i buy another screen it might not work out or turn out to be inverter problem or something else.