MSI gx740 i5-480M memory upgrade.

Discussion in 'MSI' started by soeren jensen, Jun 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soeren jensen

soeren jensen Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi folks.

I've had my laptop, MSI gx740 i5-480M for quite some years, and only replaced the old HDD, with a samsung 256gb SSD.

I would love an oppinion, if upgrading my memory would be adviceable. My laptop currently holds 4 gb, and I have been given an offer to purchase 8 gb (2x4gb) of samsung ram with following specs:

Samsung, 8GB, DDR3 SDRAM, SO DIMM 204-pin
    Samsung 2X4GB 1333MHZ PC3-10600S-09-11-F3
    Type: 204-Pin DDR3 SODIMM
    Capacity: 2X4GB
    Speed: DDR3 1333 MHz (PC3-10600)
    Timings: CL9
    Voltage: 1.5V
    Buffering/Ecc: Non-ECC Unbuffered

would my motherboard be able to hold the 1333 mhz (or do I need to find 1067 mhz) and is it even worth the upgrade for gaming? The offer for the ram upgrade is 40 euros. I dont plan on purchasing a new pc within the next six months.

Picture of my specs are in this link:[​IMG] http://imgur.com/ir3qwkH

Thank you a lot in advance.

2. EchoWars

EchoWars Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    8GB max (2 x 4GB). But I'd pass on that Samsung memory. You need DDR3L (1.35V memory). That 1.5V memory is a bad idea. So yeah, the speed is not an issue, the voltage is.

8GB is not expensive. Crucial sells an 8GB DDR3L kit guaranteed to work for $36 + tax & ship.

Edit: I know you're not in the US, but posted the example to show that, even overseas (Europe? Scandinavia?), 8 gig of DDR3L SODIMM laptop memory is not exactly a big ticket item.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  3. soeren jensen

soeren jensen Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you a lot for the reply. Do you know if the upgrade would improve my computers performance for gaming? Just if it's cost efficient.

4. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    My advice is to add to RAM only if you need more RAM. If you find yourself stretching resources thin, go for it - or if you simply want more, then more power to you. You won't see any in-game performance, and probably very little overall system performance (unless you upgrade to high-performance RAM, and even then, it won't be a big difference).

5. mufferer18

mufferer18 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The voltage doesn't matter. If it's 1.5V or 1.35V, it isn't skylake, to have such impact.
    I have in this notebook 8GB DDR3 1600mhz 1,5V, in single channel (only 1), and it's working. Also you can add 2 of them to have 16GB, and it's still will be working (at least with i7 920xm in my config, but with i5 shouldn't be a problem too). Don't be fooled by schemes, that tell max is 8gb, if you need more - it will work.
    For you I would reccomend to upgrade processor to i7 ie. i7 920xm, to have significent upgrade in performance

6. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Unless the cost to get by is reasonable otherwise I wouldn't go with a proc upgrade.

7. mufferer18

Reputations:
    Cost of the older i7 aren't high. Even 100-125USD is a good price, for a boost it can give. You don't have to buy new computer at least for a year.

8. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
  9. mufferer18

Reputations:
    Better buy new computer for 600-1000usd?

10. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    It's up to you, because a new system performs way faster in terms of CPU & GPU processing power therefore it may be better to save now then buy a new one later. It is what it is because technology evolves and become faster everyday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.