MSI GTX 1070 MXM successfully working on Alienware M17X R4 (another socket victory against BGA crap)

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by D4ddy, Apr 13, 2017.

1. cooldex

cooldex Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    yea highest it will pull is 119w at 70% load and nvidia driver does't want to work with the intel drivers installed.

2. Naif0n

Naif0n Newbie

Reputations:
    I am currently looking into upgrading my m17x r4 as well as I find it a waste to not use it anymore, giving the old fella some new life. Seeing that is would be possible to upgrade to a 1060 or a 1070, would you recommend upgrading for a 1070 over a 1060? Also I can see most of the links but getting all these items a few months or so later seems a bit harder, would be awesome if you still have some info I could use.

3. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
    If you are ready for serious heatsink modding go for the 1070. 1060 if you want minimal heatsink modding.

@woodzstack can assist you in the process.

woodzstack likes this.
  4. D4ddy

D4ddy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

Yes 1060 is the easy way, almost plug and play while 1070 is the hard way and needs more hardware mods. Also 1070 will need a 330W PSU to release full power.

woodzstack likes this.
  5. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    Thank you for the mention !

Yes it is true, I have no qualms over modifying a heat sink for a customer, especially to triple make sure it matches the video card.

deadsmiley, Papusan and MahmoudDewy like this.
  6. woodzstack

Reputations:
    I personally find the 230W/240W PSU is still a decent option, in most cases the performance is still very good and not too much of a difference, it matters more when your Overclocking and running peripherals from every USB and such mind you.

MahmoudDewy likes this.
  7. woodzstack

Reputations:
    The title of this thread is funny...

Anyways, if anyone needs 3rd party to do the modifications on AW17 or M17X-R4 I am now free, I took on about a dozen projects before the summer and have basically finished them all, and am free for whatever custom work anyone needs now (in case I turned you down earlier, now I am free)

Rengsey R. H. Jr. likes this.
  8. woodzstack

Reputations:
    We have newer 1070 with a lower wattage of 90W (vbios changes) and no tab or need to modify the chassis, but these so far only work with Optimus and not the eDP panels/120hz panels.
    However, someone recently contacted me, who purchased one of these cards from me, and flashed a vbios that would actually boot on the 120hz panel with the new 1070 cards - so time to take things back to the drawing board.

9. Tyranus07

Tyranus07 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does your cards work with the Alienware 18? if so, does they work on SLI?

10. ares6

ares6 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    hello good I'm thinking of buying a 1070 and exchange it for my 980 but I do not know if it's as easy as it was the previous change from 680 to 980 and I think the performance is not worth it for the money to pay

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk