MSI GT80 SLI motherboard going bad - 20 minute boots

Discussion in 'MSI' started by etcetera, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    The Intel Management Engine (ME), also known as the Manageability Engine, is an autonomous subsystem that has been incorporated in virtually all of Intel's processor chipsets since 2008. It is located in the Platform Controller Hub of modern Intel motherboards. It is a part of Intel Active Management Technology, which allows system administrators to perform tasks on the machine remotely. System administrators can use it to turn the computer on and off, and they can login remotely into the computer regardless of whether or not an operating system is installed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Management_Engine

2. etcetera

etcetera Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

upload_2019-11-10_23-52-35.png

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  3. Valiran

Valiran Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Long time ago, at Barton's age, I had a motherboard with same problem. Cold boot took very long time, 10 minutes maybe.
    Then a friend of mine with a solder iron and a multimeter came and look at my capacitors. Three of them were faulty.
    I bought the same brand new capacitors and he swapped them.
    After that, my computer worked like brand new.

You should at least see if any capacitor is leaking, if you don't have the hardware to check.

4. MFranks

MFranks Newbie

Reputations:
    Mine has been doing something similar and looking for some guidance. It will occasionally wake from sleep and the WiFi card will not register and not work. Upon shutdown and power up, it will get stuck at the MSI splash screen and not take any input or go to BIOS, but the turbo fan button will still function properly. I have found that unplugging the AC power will allow it to boot after a few minutes on battery power, then say repairing drive “xxxx”. After that, it will run and function like nothing is wrong, go through many sleep cycles and not skip a beat, until the next time the WiFi doesn’t come up. I avoid shutting it down often due to the fact it may not come back up, and I use the machine for work often. Recently I had the orange flashing battery light come on as well, but did battery calibration and it went away after 2 cycles of that. Sorry kind of long winded but trying to get to the bottom of this thing.

5. N2ishun

N2ishun Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Open a admin powershell window.
    Type exactly this
    FIXBOOT
    Hit enter
    Reboot
    Come back and be sayin thanx and stuff :)

6. MFranks

MFranks Newbie

Reputations:
    Tried,

Powershell says: the term “FIXBOOT” is not recognized as the name of cmdlet, function, script....

7. N2ishun

Reputations:
    I guess that shows how long it's been since I've had to use that command.....grr.
    I guess the *new* revised command line is
    bootrec /fixboot

Just remember that you have to do it as admin.
    I miss the old days when it was fdisk/mbr

{edit}
    Gawd, it seems Microshaft has locked out even that.
    Seems like the even newer way is to do a repair install with command line and THEN do the bootrec /fixboot.
    I really don't like win10 and the way they think they have a better way for your (or my) computer to run.

I'm off to search up some kind of app or plugin that actually allows a real command line interface.
    Wish me freakin luck on that one.

{edit2}
    It seems MicroMiniShaft has a new "terminal" program that allegedly offers linux like command line interface (honestly from reading about it it seems colors and background were higher priority than function) but it is in beta stage for now.
    It's only available thru microweinershaft store....great.
    I'm currently running Win10 enterprise LTSC that isn't compatible with store.
    This is so ironically pathetically microshaft that it isn't even funny.

tldr:
    I'd like to help you guys and am certain it's either a corrupted master boot record ... or ... possibly a bios reset.
    Dunno how to help at this point, sorry.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  8. MFranks

MFranks Newbie

Reputations:
    Well I did forget to mention that I have removed the partitioned segment of the C drive and have it all on 1 Samsung 960 Pro 1TB M.2. I don’t know if that would cause any issue though. I called MSI a couple months back and they said it could be a failing MB or video card, but wouldn’t know until I sent it in.

9. N2ishun

Reputations:
    Bingo!
    Francine, step up here and tell us what MFranks has won....

Kidding.

That first small partition on the drive you boot from is the master boot record (well kinda, it's stored in that partition).
    If you mess with it in any way you WILL get mbr errors and have problems just like the ones you've described.

Have a win10 install disk or install flash drive ?

10. MFranks

MFranks Newbie

Reputations:
    I have already done the following and it did repair some files...

2) open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    3) sfc /scannow
    4) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    5) chkdsk /scan

I dont have a win10 install disk or install flash either. However, I did reinstall the OE C Drives and it did not change the boot up at all... which thinking if it was that partition error that it would have booted properly?