MSI GT76 Titan announced!(NBC)

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Mr.K-1994, May 22, 2019.

1. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    10 core comet lake yeah? better yet AMD's 16 cores cpu next year, zen 2 or 3.

nope, two PSU or throttle hardware, i'd go clevo if thats the case.

2. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wasn’t the MSI CEO the one who was worried about using AMD during the Intel CPU shortages because he thought it would upset Intel? Was the most pathetic interview I’ve seen in a while. He was actually prepared to sell less systems in order to not offend them. :rolleyes:

JeanLegi, hmscott and Kevin@GenTechPC like this.
  3. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    If they can make a decent panel for it. I think the main reason it stopped production is because low numbers meant that better 18.4" panels were a poor investment, so while 15.6" and 17.3" models were shipping with higher refresh and/or higher resolution panels, the GT83 was stuck with a 1920x1080 60Hz.

4. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    A bigger deal than it should be I'm guessing.

5. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    MSI is here to gain market share and make profit.
    I don't think they can just mix and match any Intel and AMD components together, and AMD was pretty weak on the CPU side before. They just can't mix core components from competing company.

raz8020, hmscott and Papusan like this.
  6. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    May be possible to hack the EC to remove the throttle, but this depends on what is changed. The EC can be hacked to allow full power when the battery is removed completely, but not if the battery is below 30% (even though the same actual throttle flag is set, that flag is read only, but removing the battery causes other flags to be set to 00 which can then be rewritten, which are used (and cannot be changed) when the battery is inserted).

I'll need to see an EC Dump of a 1 PSU and 2 PSU system and compare them.

JeanLegi, raz8020, ole!!! and 3 others like this.
  7. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    They can’t mix and match on a whim but, as a motherboard designer, they can have an AMD platform alternative if they expect they won’t enough enough Intel CPUs or PCHs to meet demand. It has been done before in laptops and dual sourcing happens all the time in phones.

This was only recently when Zen+ was out, so providing an AMD alternative wasn’t exactly laughable. In the interview he literally mentioned he didn’t want to cross Intel, which may mean selling less systems in the short term. A laughable attitude like that is why I doubt they will sell AMD anything in laptops anytime soon. At least on the CPU side.

I don’t really care one way or the other but it was an interesting insight into how dominant Intel really is in the industry. I was pretty surprised to see Acer and ASUS get on stage with AMD during their keynote and say what they said.

8. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    That's right, and MSI did it before with several AMD SKU in the past, there were two models at least.
    First one was Intel CPU and AMD GPU, second one was AMD CPU and GPU. And since AMD has been coming up from behind so fast that hopefully we can see something cool from any manufacturers soon.

ole!!!, hmscott and NuclearLizard like this.
  9. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yea, with all the vulnerabilities coming out for Intel I'm starting to get cold feet for them....especially at the premium they charge.

Hopefully they can with the new RDNA architecture get back to putting cards in mobile.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk

Kevin@GenTechPC and hmscott like this.
  10. Kriegprojekt

Kriegprojekt Newbie

Reputations:
    The silver color looks beautiful on the new GT76. I believe pricing starts around $3400 USD for the basic model. I’ve been looking at the GT76 - I don’t need it but it is so nice looking...

Kevin@GenTechPC and hmscott like this.