MSI GT75 Titan (i9) vs. Aorus X9 DT (i9)

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by ThePerfectStorm, May 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krabman

krabman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The X7 is a nice looking lappy, no question. While the look says premium the build quality seems to me to be somewhat similar to all the rest of the offerings it competes against when you're actually handling it, a little better but not playing in a different ball park. This isn't to say it's comparatively bad but it isn't up to Apple like build quality to the touch which doesn't match up with it's fetching looks. It does have a perceived better build quality than the Clevo offerings, but whether time proves that perception out remains to be seen. It is something to note that I've flogged quite a few Clevo units ranging from butt ugly cheap plastic in the older days to not so pretty recently, all held up to a lot of travel and use without drama despite the unimpressive looks.

The keyboard has the heaviest stroke I've ever encountered in a laptop requiring deliberate keystrokes, don't give it those deliberate strokes and you're going to fire blanks occasionally until you adapt to it. I wouldn't say it's bad but in my opinion the key weights are overdone to no particular end I can determine. If you're a touch typist this could be positive or negative. You cant help but generate some clacking on the keyboard with those heavy weights so if you hate clacking, not good. On the other hand people who cant see your hands are going to think you're knocking out 200 words a minute with all that commotion when in fact you're putting down 40 or 50, you end up looking skilled and possibly dangerous.

To give you an idea of what you're looking at with weights my lappy weighs 7.5 lbs on a calibrated scale, that's the lappy, power supply, and cord. My case is about as light as can be found, a messenger bag style that weighs in at 2.5 lbs. Keep in mind while this thing is super thin compared to it's full size competition (when sitting side by side with my clevo it's slightly less than half as thick) in every other dimension its very similar to the big DTRs so you need a big bag. The one I use is about as light as can be found for this size lappy. That leaves me just 4 lbs of wiggle room in the bag which is quickly eaten up with not a whole lot of stuff. I'm not entirely confident you're going to make it under 15 unless you move some goods over to your check. (power supply, cord, etc.) and keep it very minimal in the carry. Dont forget things like papers you're carrying to a meeting can add up fast, it's very, very, easy to get to 15 lbs. It can be done but you have to be very conscious of weight and make it happen or you're bound to go over every time.

Dont expect it to last on battery. You can quickly dispatch some emails and that sort of thing but anything more is going to need a wall outlet sooner rather than later.

Going back to traveling, loosing that weight over the course of a long day of schlepping your way through airports isn't a bad thing.

I'd guess the largest single detractor with this lappy for most people is going to be fan noise. It doesn't bother me but the fan adverse should avoid because they wont be happy. I'm not sure I'm a good judge here on all this because I've had big DTRs with what others describe as loud fans for nearly two decades so I'm probably fairly desensitized. A comparison I can make is that my clevo was a big fat full framed bruiser but despite that extra size when sitting side by side it was louder at both idle and when flogged. This is something I didn't expect but there it was. Realistically I don't think we've reached the point where we can have this kind of horsepower in a laptop without some fans at full gallop.

2. knibbler

knibbler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Dude, I've read alot of posts over the years but you are one linguisticaly skilled individual. If you wrote a book, I'd probably read it!

raz8020, ThePerfectStorm and JRE84 like this.
  3. ThePerfectStorm

ThePerfectStorm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks a ton for this! Really helpful input. Now I'm split between the X7 DT v8 and X9 DT. I like the portability of the X7, but like the cooling (quad fan) + unlocked CPU + mechanical keyboard of the X9 DT.

I like your idea of putting the PSU of the laptop in the check-in, since that brings the weight of the X9 DT down to 8.2lb for the hand luggage, which makes it much easier to fit it below 15lb. And I totally agree with you about the way the papers add up. What bag do you use for your X7?

And I agree with @knibbler - you write very well!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. krabman

krabman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm using a convertible messenger, (briefcase, backpack, over the shoulder) found here ----} https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ELHY29C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I can backpack my main bag which is more advantageous when the going gets sketchy so to save weight I lopped off the backpack straps on the messenger. Those straps were detachable at the bottom but not the top, hence the lopping. I'm thinking it went 3 even when I weighed it pre lop but it's been a while. I've no complaints about the bag other that it could use more shrapnel storage, there are a few pen slots and some zip enclosures but small item storage could/should be improved. The bigger spaces work better with multiple partitions to separate papers and so on. Protection is mediocre when compared to all laptop bags but good when looking at this stye and weight. I keep a close eye on the action when loading overhead bins during boarding to make sure someone doesn't fling a bowling ball into it. Not a shot at this bag in particular, no matter how good the bag protection I keep an eye on my lappy during the overhead loading process because no bag is proof against bowling balls and careless people.

I didn't want to throw down much ching until I'd taken one of these style bags for an extended test drive. I've got a small man purse style bag, (I think they call them over the shoulder?) but I've never used a larger messenger bag. Having done that now I like the style in this use, it makes for comfortable carry at the reduced weight and it's functional. A backpack is perhaps a more comfortable choice but easy targets for skullduggery in dense crowds.They can also wrinkle suits and give you that patch of back sweat every backpack owner loves to hate. With a messenger you can keep it out in front of you where you can keep an eye on it in crowds, throw it behind you when using the restroom, switch sides every so often to reduce fatigue. Certainly some trade-offs either way but this one is best in my use.

The bag above is good when considered at it's price but a shopper could do better going upscale a little more. I'll be looking at these as I encounter them in various shops and would pick up an upgrade if I ran into it.

ThePerfectStorm likes this.
  5. ThePerfectStorm

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot for the good suggestion. You have been very nice and helpful. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. G2G

G2G Newbie

Reputations:
    Great reviews and thoughts here! Curious since the post is almost 2 months old now, ThePerfectStorm, what did you end up going with and how do you like it? I'm likewise split on the X9 DT V8 and the X7 DT V8.... price is a minor factor, but more so something I can keep my promise to my wife with when I said, "It's gonna last me 4 or 5 years, Honey."

I'm not a major tuner and don't expect to be overclocking or under-volting since I almost know what those mean. =) I'm also looking at HIDEvolution or a place called GenTechPC for a little paste or pad. Basically, I got a bonus at work and I'm looking to replace my ASUS Q550L, i7-4500, GTX 745M, 15" with something 17.3, not much heavier, and will last as long as I've cranked on this thing.

There have been a few reviews, but not a whole lot that helps me make up my mind, and like krabman said, I'd love to see some owner reviews. Thanks again for the great read, just hoping for a little closure! =)

7. ThePerfectStorm

Reputations:
    I ended up not buying due to ongoing medical expenses. When I am well and able to pay those off in full, I will probably buy a GTX 11 series laptop that may or may not be LGA.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

8. G2G

G2G Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry to hear that, hope you get well soon and all is well! Take care and thanks again!

ThePerfectStorm likes this.
  9. ThePerfectStorm

Reputations:
    Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

10. bionicfreeze

bionicfreeze Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If this helps I went with the gt75 over the arous because more data was available on thermals more usb ports and the support for 3 m.2 nvmes with raid support was a no brainer for me

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.