MSI GT75 TITAN Drivers (8th gen)

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Ultra Male, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    So here's something interesting. I used to always run the latest and greatest drivers from nVIDIA, believe it or not, after owning my GT75 for more than 2 months, I have yet to actually play a game on it. so today I had some free time and fired up Need For Speed Payback and started playing, I noticed that every minute or two, everything would become very stuttery like the FPS would drop down to 1 FPS then all of a sudden it would go back to buttery smooth. I thought it's a random glitch at first but then when it happened more frequently, I uninstalled the latest nVIDIA Driver v398.36 and installed the latest nVIDIA Driver from MSI's website which in this case was v391.48 and what do you know, the game was buttery smooth with 0 stuttering or glitches. So lesson learned, I will stay away from nVIDIA's crappy drivers and stick to the ones that MSI posts I guess they are tested by MSI that's why they are far behind in driver versions but at least they work.

2. macmyc

macmyc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah that's a good thing but MSI doesn't update it for every laptop, for example for my GT62VR they have a very old version on their support page.
    I wonder if installing the ones from GT75 is the same thing, or not?

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  3. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    yeah neither do they update them for ANY laptop. My GT73VR before had the same driver for a year. Now the GT75 Titan 8RG had the same driver since its release which is not even compatible with Redstone 4 since at the time of the GT75's release we were still on Redstone 3 but if you notice the nVIDIA Driver posted in the first post of this thread is a bit newer, that is because I keep scanning other MSI laptops every now and then and post whatever the latest nVIDIA Driver is there, they work fine on any MSI laptop.

4. heliada

heliada Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Exactly the problem I've been talking about for the last month or so. Its caused by downclocks to idle 139mhz. Setting prefer max performance in 3d settings for your games fixes it and you can run latest drivers that way.
    I noticed that with the newer drivers I often see SCM icon pop up back onto the task bar then it goes back to hiding often.... most likely we are just seeing some kind of software conflict.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    Vasudev and Donald@HIDevolution like this.
  5. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This bug is not caused by downclocking at all.
    It's a pure driver bug.

I had this happen in PUBG myself.
    The card is TDP unlocked so it doesn't even hit the power limit at all.
    Running at full 1987 mhz or 2000 mhz. Then suddenly PUBG goes at like 3 FPS for about 3-4 seconds, then picks back up to 100 fps.
    The clocks *DID* NOT CHANGE* at all on the GPU. I was logging it. It never dropped at all.
    Pure driver BS.
    This only happened on the newer Nvidia drivers.
    This also ONLY seemed to happen later in the round, like, when the playzone got very small (often around cities).

Completely stopped when going to the older ones.

6. heliada

Reputations:
    Well you do have a different model. Its pretty normal it might react differently. My 1080 actually drops to 139mhz pretty hard and very easily on newer drivers. It renders games unplayable unless it's set to prefer max performance (or I use older drivers). With prefer max performance it keeps boost normally. Pedro linked a video of a guy with the same issue on the owners thread. I can make one too if needed. I reported it to msi a month ago but they don't do anything with it.

hmscott, Pedro69 and Ultra Male like this.
  7. asm1

asm1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It was useful to me. I had the software installed and removed it the hard way. This removed the dregs that remained. Thank you.

Vasudev and Ultra Male like this.
  8. Pedro69

Pedro69 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Im talking with the guy on steam and he also sent the laptop to MSI center...last message from him,

" Hi, yes, I know about it. Thanks for the tip. It works, I did not return the original driver, but I turned on the high performance in the drivers. I also reduced the GPU voltage, the notebook is not so loud now."

Vasudev likes this.
  9. heliada

Reputations:
    I commented on one of the YouTube videos with the tip about driver. It might be that all gt75 are affected. No one reported that the latest driver is working accordingly so far on their laptop. Those that don't have issues might already be running max performance mode. If it were a desktop I'd not even be alarmed and just leave it at max clocks all the time.

Pedro69 and Vasudev like this.
  10. itaylor57

itaylor57 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well latest nvidia driver is 398.36 working best for me.