MSI GT75 TITAN-094 finally found time to OC!

Discussion in 'MSI' started by FalconCMH, Mar 29, 2019.

1. FalconCMH

FalconCMH Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I finally got around to OCing my MSI GT75 TITAN-094 (Got it at XoticPC, my second laptop from them). What a beast. I found my sweet spot at all cores at 48x, 101 reference clock, and a -.140 (ran with -160 too) Core Voltage offset.

Cinebench R15 (OpenGL 166/fps, CPU: 1541):
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AukjPmqdkwFfgoBE9f0ryifZ7_s-DQ
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AukjPmqdkwFfgoBF-WqsR_lgP6Dh0A

3DMark(Fire Strike: 20593, Time Spy: 8042, Sky Diver: 47587):
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AukjPmqdkwFfgoAzdT2h3tSrbD_RAg

Specs/OC:
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AukjPmqdkwFfgoA16Vkg8H9xbentYA

Idle and Max Temps:
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AukjPmqdkwFfgoA0Se7XZeuwWjg86g

To overclock my MSI GT75 TITAN-094 that has a i9-8950HK, 64GB, GTX 1080 I did a bunch of research and it was hard to find good information. here is what I ended up doing.
    1) I uninstalled Dragon first and reset my CMOS (be careful if you have RAID to catch the BIOS and enter into it after a reset to flip it to RAID before you boot windows). To reset your CMOS just hold the power key down for 60 seconds. Then wait 2 minutes. Then turn it back on. You might need to do this when OCing if you get in a bad state and the laptop will not boot too.
    2) In the BIOS I disabled Intel Virtualization, VT-D, and CPU C States. I had too much memory to use Xmp but if you bought faster memory and you have 32GB turn on Xmp.
    3) I used Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. 3 important things to watch are the Thermal, Power Limit, and Current Limit Throttling. You never want to see any of these go yellow. I was able to get a stable OC of my CPU at 4.8 GHz on all cores, I run 24x7 with this. When I bench I set it to -140 to -160. 24x7 I set it to -160 (cpu ref clock 100, gpu mem clock 600). This is the magic sauce that keeps the temps down under load. Now running the stress tests and the benchmark in this utility I did see my Thermal Throttling hit yellow a few times here and there but I run 24x7 on this. I have even benched at 4.83+ with a Core Offset voltage of -160 to get my best 3D Mark scores but I only ran 3D Mark with these settings. Processor Core IccMax needs to be set at 200 to get enough power. Turbo Boost Power Max needs to be set at 200 as well to keep the chip from throttling. Of course other than setting my Cores to 48 x I didn't change anything else.
    4) I used MSI after burner to OC my GPU. Here is a link to be able to get more voltage: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...-quot-voltage-control-quot-in-MSI-Afterburner
    5) Every laptop is different and what you can OC the CPU and GPU will be different start out slow and bump the CPU Cores all together (keep them the same speed) 1 unit at a time. Same thing with the GPU but do the core clock first then the memory.
    6) My 3D Mark scores are Fire Strike 20593, Time Spy 8042, and Sky Diver 47587
    7) Notice I did not set my CPU voltage and I undervolted it using negative values for the Core Offset Voltage. This is to keep the temps down and the voltage stable. At a minimum you will want -100 to keep the voltage stable.
    8) I read and tried to dump my BIOS and possibly try a custom BIOS but that did not bear any fruit for me. I could not find the load line I read needs to be set to 1 for AC/DC. This is dangerous and you could brick your laptop so I do not recommend doing this unless your a super expert at this stuff and even then I do not recommend it since setting Core Offset voltage to -100 or less takes care of the issue overall it seems. And you need to drop this anyway to reduce temps.
    9) I turn on max fans when benching but not when running 24x7.
    10) One bummer is every time I boot the Turbo Boost Power Max needs to be set at 200 again because it gets set back to the default of 45 (I think 45 is it or close to it). The BIOS is responsible for this I believe. If you don't do this the CPU is throttled. This will do it from a command line: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility\Client\XTUCli.exe' -t -id 48 -v 200
    11) I re-TIMed my CPU and GPU with IC Diamond, although this isn't 100% necessary, it's fun to do, took about 1 hour, and it definitely helps with temps.
    12) Changed 2 default NVidia Control Panel Settings. Set Image Settings to Performance and Power Management Mode to Performance. Turned off GSync
    13) Intel XTU Turned off Real Time Memory Tuning

For my 24x7 OC I ran the CPU and Memory stress tests in the Intel XTU Utility, MemTest64, And the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool 64bit. But most important I ran my everyday work load for a week straight with no issues. I don't OC to game (I game very little). I OC because I run Hyper-V VMs on my laptop that run Windows Server 2019, SQL Server 2017, Visual Studio 2017, and a bunch of other software that I use to architect and develop applications for the Web. A stable OC saves a huge amount of time and gives me much faster response times that helps my lack of patience and productivity.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  2. Support.1@XOTIC PC

Support.1@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Very nice. Thank you for the in depth step by step, this does make things easier.

3. AU4U

AU4U Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I put all my games on Ultra, set to 60FPS, increased the fan speed curve just a bit and never have a problem with CPU or GPU performance.
    I believe the GT75 was built around the premise that you don't actually have to OC(d) and other stuff, it was built to handle extreme gaming just fine out of the box (updates required).
    The one thing bench marking programs cant do is provide an inconsistent environment to test in, lousy written software, with memory leaks, poorly designed graphics engines and other issues is the real benchmark, as its not perfectly written software.
    Benchmarks are just that, benchmarks and not real software results.
    Other than dumping in some SSD's and RAM, I couldn't be happier with a stock GT75.
    If it ain't broken, don't f**k with it.
    Nice post and info though ...

B0B and Rengsey R. H. Jr. like this.
  4. FalconCMH

Reputations:
    MSI made this laptop, Intel made this CPU, and Nvidia made this GPU all to OC, the GT75 was NOT built around the premise you don't have to OC, specifically shown by the capabilities of Dragon Center alone. Like I posted above I do NOT OC for gaming. I use my laptop for work running Hyper-V VMs. The 4.8Ghz OC makes a huge difference for performance of not only the VMs but also day to day usage of normal applications like Office, Edge, etc. It is noticeably faster than stock w/o the benchmarks. Benchmarks and stress tests are just a way to lock in a great and stable OC. The VMs I run perform some long running tasks like running unit and integration tests that are minutes faster. So it is broke and I fixed it. To not take advantage of that IMHO is a waste. The stock with Dragon Center and turning up the fans is very power limiting and throttles the CPU under load dramatically reducing the performance. Sad you knock what you haven't tried and you don't take advantage of what you bought. And BTW there is no such thing as perfectly written software anyone who uses or develops any software knows this. And the industry standard benchmarking software is well written and very consistent.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    Elphie likes this.
  5. FalconCMH

Reputations:
    MSI put out a new BIOS for this laptop. I do agree it makes thigs more stable but it puts too much power through and now my OCs throttle more and it makes them perform worse. Not a lot but enough to bug me.

6. FalconCMH

Reputations:
    I have to take back my previous statement and remove my foot from my mouth. I am very happy with the new BIOS. Its' stability is outstanding. Also another forum member contacted me and gave me a tip on how to set the AC load line to 1. After doing that my bench scores all went up. I was able to clock at 4.9 GHz stable too but the temps throttled my CPU and my scores were worse. Here are my better scores at 4.8+ GHz (4.8 plus 101 BCLK, 190 under volt):

Time Spy: 8049 (This didn't improve much)
    Fire Strike: 21004 (this improved the most)
    Sky Diver: 47994

I am going to try and run stable now 24x7 at just 4.8 GHz which is what I have been running now on the old BIOS for several weeks.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    Kevin@GenTechPC and Elphie like this.
  7. Elphie

Elphie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Could you please let me know the bios workaround? And what is better throttle stop or XTU?

8. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    They all have their strengths but most of the professionals here prefer ThrottleStop because there are differences among them.

Elphie likes this.
  9. Elphie

Elphie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you!

10. FalconCMH

Reputations:
    Yeah I am not comfortable sharing how to unlock the BIOS. Hopefully the person who shared with me how to do it will contact you directly like they did me and tell you how.