MSI GT75 8RG Titan or Asus ROG G703GI from HIDevolution?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Thaladar, Dec 26, 2018.

?

MSI GT75 8RG or Asus G703GI

1. MSI GT75 8RG

73.3%
  2. Asus G703GI

26.7%
  1. Thaladar

Thaladar Newbie

Reputations:
    Greetings, lads and ladies,

I am a newcomer to this forum, although I have been preying from the shadows during the course of the last few days. While my nearly 9 years old Asus N61Vn is still operational, it can no longer keep up with my needs and I therefore need to replace it for good. I had bought an Asus G752VS in Switzerland nearly 2 years ago, but it turned out to be faulty two months into its purchase. A few days ago (and almost 2 years later, if you're following) and 8 documented RMAs, I have finally been issued a full refund after writing a detailed complaint on the official ROG forums. If anyone is interested in it for any reason, here's the latest of the 3 threads I had made:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...ce-on-taking-legal-action&p=748429#post748429

After having read through some of the threads here on this forum, I have slowly been leaning towards HIDevolution due to so many positive customer experiences. One of the key figures responsible for my conversion to the dark side is @Ultra Male and his thorough recommendations, as well as telling other forum members to contact @Donald@HIDevolution beforehand. I myself am a perfectionist so an important decision such as this one is really hard for me to take on by myself. I am very critical of even the tiniest things such as minor scratches, dents and the like, which is something I hope HIDevolution will not fail to deliver on. I'm saying this because I had gone through a horror experience while having had my G752VS serviced, where the technicians caused a dent in my machine's chassis, as well as scratching it here and there. Since my new unit would have to be assembled from the ground up, I am somewhat scared of this.

Still, without further ado - I cannot decide which laptop to go for. I must say I'm a fan of Asus, probably due to their more pleasing aesthetics; However, after having read about many things, it seems that Asus in general has problems with thermal throttling and overheating - which is the last thing I want since my G752VS's CPU was reaching critically high temperatures after only a few minutes of gaming or launching an application that put the CPU under some standard pressure (going as far 99* degrees Celsius). I don't know anything about the MSI brand, but it seems that they have a much better cooling system, among other things. I want to hear your opinion on this matter, with "do's" or "don't's" regarding each model. At the moment, this is my current build (and a slight variation of it):

MSI GT75 8RG Titan 094/056 (their only difference is in their i7 and i9 processors)

Display: 17.3" 120Hz 3ms FHD WV G-Sync
    GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 1080
    CPU: i9-8950HK (094 model) / i7-8850H (056 model)
    RAM: 32GB Dual Channel DDR4/2666MHz (2 x 16GB)
    SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe 3D-VNAND SSD - Up to 3,500 MB/s Read-2,500 MB/s Write
    HDD: 1TB Seagate FireCuda Gaming 7mm SSHD

Additional options:

- Windows 10 Recovery USB Flash Drive;
    - Europe 6 Ft Power Cord C13;

Modifications:

- Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut on CPU + GPU, and Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads on heat sensitive surfaces;
    - Bottom cover ventilation mod;

Quality check:

- Minimize LCD Backlight Bleed

Price: $3,728 (for the i9 processor model) or $3,528 (for the i7 processor model)

My main question is: is it really worth it to go for the i9 processor? I do want my machine to be future-proof, but at the same time I want it to perform under normal conditions, as in not overheating, and this chip produces more heat than its i7 predecessor. I will using this laptop for pretty much everything, but mainly working and gaming (I play WoW 99% of the time, but I would also try out some interesting titles such as GTA V, Assassin's Creed, Witcher 3, etc.). Is it really worth investing into the i9 processor, or is i7 enough, as I don't think the difference is that noticeable while completing aforementioned tasks? Since I noticed @Ultra Male male having the same unit (albeit with a different build), I would like to hear his input about this MSI machine. I have also thought about going for the lower-performing 1070 GTX as it is a significant decrease in price, but I'm not sure it's profitable in the long run. Another thing that just came to my mind - is GT75 really that thick? I mean, typing on most Asus models is rather fine, so I am somewhat afraid of the elevated palmrest on this MSI model, wondering if it would tire the hands faster, make it harder to play at such height, etc.

Also, regarding Asus - it would be with pretty much the same specs as the ones listed above, but my primary concern is heat. Can G703GI manage to stay cool under pressure, or is MSI really that superior when it comes to it?

I have not considered other brands that are available on the website (such as EVOC) because I am not really familiar with them, being a resident of Serbia where they're not available, at least not in that form. I would simply like to hear your suggestions regarding everything written above, hoping it helps me make a proper decision. It would be nice to come to a final decision before January, as there are some rather appealing discounts listed on HIDevolution's site).

That's all that comes to my mind for the time being - I will add more things later on if anything changes.

P.S. I apologize in advance for any typos and the like as I hastily composed this post.

Best regards,
    Marco

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Let's cut to the chase. Get the GT75 Titan Pro, the best laptop IMHO out there right now with the best screen, keyboard, and best cooling in any laptop. Period!

see my review here:

MSI GT75 TITAN 8RG-094 Review by Ultra Male

Oh and if you want a laptop that actually *works* don't get an ASUS. They sound great on paper, I never had a single ASUS laptop that worked without issues, returned 7 diff. ASUS laptops before finally giving up on the brand.

Email donald@hidevolution.com before ordering if you want the NBR forum discount

Thaladar and Wild Turkey like this.
  3. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, that discount was surprising.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ultra Male likes this.
  4. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    To be honest, they are both so close it's actually hard to recommend either. Take the one you prefer honestly. I would personally go with the GT 75, but both are pretty much equal.

Thaladar likes this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Wrong. Will it survive +150W Cpu load? Nope. Will it run 4.8GHz all day? Nope!

He should buy a Clevo P870Tm from HIDevolution with Prema firmware(+ Vapor Chamber Gpu heatsink)Nothing less or go with a desktop.

Edit. We can talk about longevity or actually works... My oldest Clevo still run perfectly fine in same way as I purchased it middle 2010. My newer Clevo from 2015 still Kick ass and probably will survive 2023. My son’s MSI GT70 needed some love from me. Or it would be thrown in the trash can 2 years ago.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    jclausius, Vasudev, sicily428 and 5 others like this.
  6. Installed64

Installed64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do consider the Clevo P870 if you’re in that price range. Otherwise my vote is the MSI. By the way, forget the i9 if all you’re doing is WoW. In 5 years neither will be all that great and you’ll wish you had the one that ran cooler (and quieter). I mean, you could really get by with a GTX 950M.... but hey, go enjoy those AAA titles!

7. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Just no.
    I agree on the I9 part, but a 950M is not enough for AAA titles.

Thaladar likes this.
  8. Installed64

Installed64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, the point was that it would be perfect for WoW, which the OP plays 99% of the time. Alternatively, higher end hardware would allow him to enjoy AAA titles.

Thaladar likes this.
  9. Maomaoa1

Maomaoa1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you don't care about the keyboard feel, it is recommended to buy p870tm WITH PREMA BIOS

Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. Maomaoa1

Maomaoa1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi. If don't use water cooling. Is P870TM better than GT75 ? just performance
    And this :https://valid.x86.fr/3ynpju
    use water cooling?