MSI GT75-056 please help me customize & optomize!

Discussion in 'MSI' started by LapOnMyTop, Apr 17, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LapOnMyTop

LapOnMyTop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,
    This is my first post here...but I've recently read at great length many threads here and it looks like in general, most are extremely helpful to those in need...lets hope I get so lucky...and even perhaps have the notorious @Phoenix swoop in to aid me?? :)

I am interested in buying the MSI GT75-056 (i7 8850H CPU) from either XOTIC PC or HIDevolution, although it looks like HID has a 10% restocking fee if for any reason I want to return it.

Long story short:
    I have been doing research about this laptop, ad nauseam, and have discovered through the forums, things I didnt even know I should be considering, so I know I need help.

What I'm thinking about doing with the stock model is:

* Upgrade the ram to 32Gig G-skill Ripjaws RAM (2x16)

*Get (2) Samsung 960 Evos and have my OS installed on one, (because I heard it's faster than HDD).

*Upgrade the HDD to either a 1 OR 2TB seagate OR A 1Tb Samsung 850 evo HDD.

*Order it with a clean install so I don't get lots of bloatware.

-Now, I would like to know what those with much more experience than me think about this setup or if they have any reccomendations or even warnings. I have read on here that resellers can help you optimize your computer and much adieu about Bios etc, but honestly that all goes right over my head.
    I'm not really sure what I would need to ask for...it seems all those working with the resellers know them by name and exactly what to ask these guys to do to make their gear "da bomb," and I simply don't.

-Is there anything I need them to tweak?? Or should I just pick my parts and have them send it?

Continuing on with a few concerns I have:

1. Manufacturer lists the nit screen brightness of this panel at 270 nits, when I read 300 nits is average...making this panel supposedly dim?? Any info or opinions on that??

2. Which thermal paste should I choose? IC Diamond or Grizzly Kryonaut? I heard Grizzly needs repasting every 6mos? I'm not confident I can do that...(never have delided a laptop and afraid to f-up).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lastly, *Some history of my current rig if needed*

Right now the rig I have is nearing 7 years old. It is an MSI GT780 DXR and I've got (2) 750 Gig HDD's striped in raid-0 to give me the (1.5) Tb Hard Drive. It's got 16Gigs RAM and an i7 2760QM CPU (I know...I know...some pretty old stuff, but I can still play Rise of the Tomb Raider on low/medium settings LOL!)

Anyway the hardware in this rig has been a trooper and luckily never crashed on me: no dead HDD's, RAM, or CPU burn out after all that time and dear God I've never even delided it once and given it a thermal repaste or anything at all...cuz Im a noob like that who didn't even know about thermal paste till last year.

The right hinge on the screen did break around year 4 of ownership though, and is now stuck open and unable to close, (though its conveniently stuck in an upright normal viewing position).

I've heard MSI hinges are notorious for being too tight and breaking with time and that they still have not addressed this poor build issue after all these years...anyone had hinge issues? I think I'd die if I bust $3k and get a broken hinge again.

Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to help me with my new build, and I apologize if I was too long-winded...Im new here and will learn fast.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    HID only charges a restocking fee if you don't like the laptop.
    They don't charge restocking if a part is defective or broken.
    I do *NOT* know if they charge restocking if you decide you want to *upgrade* to a higher end laptop and do an RMA exchange. For those you have to email or call them in person and ask. Being polite goes a very long way on things like this.

XotiC PC isn't bad, but their "Copper heatsink upgrade" service is absolutely useless. It lowers the temps by a huge 0C (it might work with very low fan speeds but that's a bit silly; 0C difference with cooler boost fan at 100%). And you can get copper heatsinks of the same quality as theirs for <$20. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0077DH0WE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Just a heads up on that (there was a gigantic thread discussing that years ago).

I bought my own laptop from Xotic PC and I would choose HIDevolution ii i were you.
    A heads up however.

No one knows how the LOCKED DOWN chips of the H series Gt75 6 core locked processors will throttle and under what conditions. But the base clock if it exceeds 45W TDP is *2.2 ghz*, which is even lower than the 2.8 ghz of the 7700hQ. Keep that in mind. If you can afford it, I would get the i9 chip, simply because you can avoid all that throttling and the "Advanced" Bios menus (should you choose to manually unlock it in the future when you are more experienced with your laptop can remove all of the other bizarre throttling and voltage boost crap, EXCEPT for the Embedded Controller CPU "overcurrent "current trip limit (no one knows at what point the EC will shut the laptop off).

If you do get the H series chip, no one here can help you with it if you have throttling issues (or what conditions it will throttle) as no one here owns one. What we DO know is that it's going to be a hot mess (there have already been two review videos posted, one from South Africa and one from China, of a GT75 Titan i9, and an Alienware i9...both were hot throttling messes :p)

Spartan and Vistar Shook like this.
  3. LapOnMyTop

Reputations:
    @Falkentyne

Wow thank you so much for a fast response. May I ask for some more info on your warnings against the 8850H?

1. What do you mean by "locked down chip?"

2. I thought the 8850H had a base score of 2.6?
    (I am still shaky on my understanding of TDP, but do recall seeing much info on 45w TDP).

3. I noticed the 7700HQ in the GT73 had a base clock of 2.8 and during my research saw a consensus that the 7700HQ would throttle with the GTX 1080 GPU...which is why I turned to the GT75...when I compared those 2 CPUs (the 7700HQ and the 8850H I did indeed notice the base of the new 8850H was 2.6 (slower than the old 7700HQ with base 2.8) so I emailed Ken at GENTECH PC and asked him why the 8850H has a slower base clock than the 7700HQ...his response was "base clock really doesn't matter, the CPU still outperforms the 7700HQ). And that was it. Can you clarify the info about GDP 45W and how it'd lower me to 2.2? Also I'd assume the 7700HQ would lower even lower than 2.2 if it has the 45w TDP?

4. You recommend the i9, but I see at the bottom you mention 2 people left reviews for it and it's going to be a hot mess? Maybe I misunderstood you, can you clarify?

5. Are all H series chips going to have the 45w TDP issue?

Thank you so much buddy

4. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    The 8850H is a locked down processor like its predecessor the 7700HQ.
    That means:
    1) CPU multipliers can NOT be adjusted for overclocking. There is a maximum 1 core, 2 core, 3 core, 4, 5 and 6 core multiplier ratio that is fixed for this SKU. The more threads/cores a program or application uses, the maximum clock will be lowered. For 7700HQ, the base clock (if TDP throttling occurs) is 2.8 ghz, and max 4 core boost clock is 3.4 ghz. Max 1 core boost is 3.8 ghz but no one will ever see that speed (cant make something only use 1 core/1 thread). For 8850H, base clock is 2.2 ghz (instead of 2.8 ghz), and I'm not sure what the maximum 6 core speed is. Max SINGLE THREAD frequency is 4.3 ghz https://ark.intel.com/products/134899/Intel-Core-i7-8850H-Processor-9M-Cache-up-to-4_30-GHz but you will never see that.

The HK processors can have the turbo multipliers adjusted up to the limit of the silicon, until you reach thermal limits, processor limits or the Embedded Controller (EC) says you are using too much current and shuts the laptop off (no one knows what this point is).

For the 8850H, if you exceed the maximum TDP (watts) of 45W for more than 28 seconds, it will throttle down to 2.2 ghz But no one knows under what conditions this will happen yet.

5. LapOnMyTop

Reputations:
    @Falkentyne
    I just checked and you are right about the base clock of 8850H being 2.2...I thought it was 2.6! A base clock of 2.2 is even worse!

Do you know why this new chip has a base clock of 2.2 when the 7700HQ has a base clock of 2.8? The 8850H is supposed to be better!

The whole reason I wanted to go with GT75 was because GT73 didnt come with the new coffee lake...

Bcause I actually originally wanted the GT73, but I read that it had throttling issues and couldnt handle the GTX 1080 with the 7700HQ...now the 8850H is worse than the 7700HQ?

Can you please clarify on the i9? You recommended it at the beginning of your reply, but then I saw at the bottom you said 2 users had reviewed the i9 and it was a hot throttling mess? I'm sure I'm misunderstanding you...

6. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    @LapOnMyTop Because it has 45W TDP and 2 more cores.
    @Papusan
    Can't have 45W TDP at 2.8 ghz.

6 core @ 2.8 ghz on 12 threads will always exceed 45W.

An "8700K" series processor is basically simply a 6 core Kaby Lake on a more refined process. The 8850H is basically an 8700K which failed both 8700K binning and 8950HK binning.

7. LapOnMyTop

Reputations:
    Do you know what the TDP is on the 7700HQ by chance? It'll help me understand TDP in relation to both base clocks of the CPUs since the 8850H is 45w bringing base to 2.2.

And I won't keep bugging you after this about the i9...but please...clarify your original comment about recommending it to avoid throttling, then mentioning 2 users reviewed the i9 as a hot throttling mess? Thank you so much!!!

8. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    @LapOnMyTop

Exact same as 8850H.
    45W TDP.
    HK processors can exceed their rated TDP. HQ/H processors can not (can only exceed it by 1.5x (50% higher) for 28 seconds!

Hot throttling mess: all 6 core BGA laptops are hot throttling messes. HK and H processors both!
    Just the H processors will throttle first anyway !

cooling solutions on the BGAbooks are insufficient to keep these chips cool !

Only Clevo LGA chips with P870 TM/1 (8700K) has good enough cooling to keep the chips running at normal temps.

Alienware 17R5:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/official-alienware-17-r5-owners-lounge.815492/page-2

hot throttling mess.

MSI GT75 Titan core i9:

hot throttling mess (almost throttling).

Papusan likes this.
  9. LapOnMyTop

Reputations:

Thanks for that...I guess I'll wait for someone else to weigh in on the i9...
    Anyone?????

EDIT: saw your edit to add about the i9...GTEATLY APPRECIATED!!! I will watch video now, but you still recommend the i9 over the 8850H correct?

10. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    @LapOnMyTop

Read my above link and look at the videos.
    NO ONE HERE CAN WEIGH on the i9 because no one on this forum has one!

Spartan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.