MSI GT73VR with Kaby Lake

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Tiago.ftw, Dec 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiago.ftw

Tiago.ftw Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi.
    Someone can say when the laptops with kaby lake will came out?
    Because there are some sellers showing the MSI GT73VR with kaby lake.
    It seems that the laptops with kaby lake have the number 7, so is "MSI GT73VR 7RE" and "MSI GT73VR 7RF".
    The cpu is an I7 7820HK, 2.9Ghz to 3.9Ghz with turbo boost.
    But, the sellers dont have any information about the dates. I have seen another brand with this new cpu saying they will came out in the end of january.

http://www.tccomputerkh.com/product/notebook/msi/gt73vr-7rf-titan-pro-4k-p4404

hmscott likes this.
  2. Svegetto

Svegetto Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, it should be January with everything pointing at the cpus being officially debuted at CES and should make it into laptops quickly afterwards as it's just a swap for the manufactures.. Note that you won't be seeing much improvement with Kaby Lake as it's same die size and same arch, just faster clock rates (and some media block additions for 4k video). Expect 8-10% improvement over equivalent skylake, strictly due to the higher clock speed.

3. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    IPC seems to be the same though.

4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    This is the real improvement listed in the specs:

Chipset Intel CM238 support super raid

No mention of Optane... yet :)

5. Svegetto

Reputations:
    I
    If I recall correctly, Intel delayed optane significantly..... like late 2018 or 2019. Given the pace that SSD have been innovating at, who knows what things will look like by that time.

hmscott likes this.
  6. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Kaby lake is just a higher clocked skylake, so it doesn't matter much on the CPU side. The real improvement is the chipset. But still it is not earth shattering, in my opinion :)

hmscott likes this.
  7. Svegetto

Reputations:
    Yep, same Arch and same die will do that lol. The 8-10% performance increase will come directly from the 8-10% increase in clocks, however, that also means more power being used, though less than the same clocks in skylake thanks to manufacturing improvements... so technically you should get a bit more perf/watt... but it's going to be very minor.
    With optimus (or no dGPU) you'll also get the updated media block with hardware acceleration aimed at 4k content, so that should help quite a bit when it comes to power used (and obviously increase in battery life in those scenarios).
    All in all, it's a pretty minor improvement, but I guess better than none, especially since there's nothing else from Intel on the near horizon, with the next thing being coffee lake a year from now providing 6 cores, but still based on the same die and arch, while cannonlake goes to low end CPUs.

hmscott likes this.
  8. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Doesn't seem to be enough actual improvement to justify waiting for Kaby Lake, and likely not enough price difference to justify hurrying up to buy a Skylake model. Overall Kaby Lake does not look to be a terribly important upgrade.

hmscott likes this.
  9. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I suppose for mobile devices, intel should release a new "entry" level core i7 that is at least 3.4ghz or more in quad core. 6700HQ is too low, and 6820HK is in contrast too high. There is no middle ground.

10. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:

I'd still opt for the 7820HK or whatever kaby is releasing on laptop with unlocked multiplier IF it has a better bin and better overclock potential compared to a 6820HK'

Currently the general limit of 6820HK is around 4 for normal usage, 4.2-4.3 is the voltage wall. If Kaby would let me do 4.5 on normal usage I'd so definitely opt for that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.