MSI GT73VR Screen problem post warranty

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Theblackmamba, Apr 6, 2019.

1. hacktrix2006

hacktrix2006 Hold My Vodka, I going to kill my GPU

Reputations:
    Oh dam,

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

2. hacktrix2006

Reputations:
    It could still be the cable however it's does look like it's the screen, the EDP connection on screen might be loose which would require you to remove the bezzle to find out and unscrewing the LCD from the back.

However as I said it's looking more like the screens chip is toast as they do get hot by the MSI badge at front.

How ever unseat the cable and re seat it see if anything changes.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

3. Theblackmamba

Theblackmamba Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you!

My screen is a 4k screen. laptopscreen.com does not have stock and their support says "You will not be able to downgrade the resolution without making modifications to your laptop as well the physical fitting of the screen may not work with your bezel."

Does anyone know if this is true?

If not is there anywhere else that has stock I can get of the 4k screen?

Thank you everyone in advance

4. hacktrix2006

Reputations:
    Did you laptop come with the 4K screen already installed ? if so if you give us the ID number of that screen, something like AIDA64 will be able to tell you. I could then look as well for you.

@senso any idea's bud.

5. Theblackmamba

Reputations:
    Yes came with 4k, sorry for the dumb question, how do I see the ID number of the screen? did a quick google search but could not see anything useful

Thanks again

6. zipperi

zipperi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  7. Theblackmamba

Reputations:

Attached Files:

8. AirTortoise

AirTortoise Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I've swapped out the 1080p N173HHE-G32 and 4k B173ZAN01 numerous times on my GT73VR depending on what game I was going to stick with for a while. No modifications needed, takes like 5 min and it works right away, G-Sync included. I only had to replace the adhesive on the bezel bottom after a few swaps.

I've had decent luck off of eBay for stock.

9. Theblackmamba

Reputations:
    Thank you for the reply

I was able to buy the panel, but now not sure exactly how to replace it (I'm not the most savvy at replacing hardware on a laptop and a bit afraid to screw it up). Do you have a good guide you could point me to on how to do it?

Thx again

10. AirTortoise

AirTortoise Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Here's a video on a GE62, which while a different model is really close to the same process. I think the only difference really is that the eDP is on the right side of the screen, not the left.

Once you get the bezel off I think it'll be pretty straight forward with what you need to do. I find it easiest to start right under the webcam and gently pull out, popping those clips off.

It should be just clips for the top half of the bezel, then you will start pulling off the adhesive. If you go slow and careful here you can probably keep enough on the bezel that it will stick just fine when you put it back on.

There are four screws holding the panel to the lid, two on the top and two on the bottom. Once you unscrew those, you can lay the panel down and remove the eDP cable. I think there were originally two pieces of tape holding it to the back of the panel that you'll have to pull up.

Plug in the new panel, screw it in and put the bezel back on. I start at the top again to line it up with the webcam and the rest just pops back in. If you had enough adhesive remain that you can get it to stick again, you are good to go. Otherwise just use some thin double-sided tape.