MSI GT73VR BIOS: unlock, mod, factory restore, clear CMOS and prevent common issues

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Paloseco, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Paloseco

Paloseco Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Show all hidden options in BIOS

2. noobocmsi

noobocmsi Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I didn't unlock my bios with your guide, I don't want to take the risk of bricking my laptop
    But with Alt+F2 and Ctrl+Shift I can see all hidden menu and modify them like core max oc ratio = 35 in proc overclock feature but it seem that it doesn't work. Whatever I do in the Bios or XTU the max frequency doesn't change (check with CPU-Z or HWmon). XTU give me either blue screen or error (can't apply).
    Is it possible to overclock msi laptop ?
    Thanks

MSI GE62 6QF
    i5 6300HQ 2.3 GHz (Turbo 3.2Ghz)

3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    You have a Locked down Cpu. Read previous posts how to lower power consumption.

4. noobocmsi

noobocmsi Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for the quick response
    I read previous post and tell me if I wrong, for now I can't overclock my laptop but I can disable the TDP and the overvolting.

5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    Locked means Locked!
    See post #64. Undervolt is your options. TDP tweak may or may not work. Test it.

Ashtrix likes this.
  6. noobocmsi

noobocmsi Newbie

Reputations:
    In what case power limit appear? Because even on heavy load my cpu is only 22W Package TDP, I don't need to unlock it, right?
    IMON OFFSET tell me out of range 31999 (0-255)
    and I didn't find IMON OFFSET PREFIX

For overvoltage I try it but I still get thermal throtling at arround 80° with msi afterburner in game, it is normal?

Is it a software lock (BIOS protection) or hardware in cpu itself?
    I have 2 others option in CPU section: Overcloking lock and CFG lock, but it doesn't change anything.
    I don't understand why msi put overcloking section in their BIOS if we can't.

Thanks.

7. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Your processor is a different generation and your bios has different code. You need to read the help strings to the right and find out how IMON SLOPE and IMON OFFSET work for you. This guide is ONLY for the GT73VR and *NEWER* Titan series laptops (Stealth Thin may work), not for yours. If you have IMON SLOPE, set it to a value of 50, if and only if 100 is 1.0x (read the help next to the options). In this case if 100 is 1.0x, 50 is 50%, meaning the CPU will report its using half the TDP. Imon offset should be set to negative (NOT positive). setting imon offset to a positive value makes the CPU report HIGHER TDP than its actually using. PROCHOT is probably set as a hardware lock (you can call it software, as BIOS is basically software) for 80C. Your system is NOT made for overclocking at all. You have literally the cheapest version laptop of skylake possible to even buy.

You can't just read what someone says without looking at your own Bios and checking the values for yourself. This is one reason why these options are hidden from the end user. Most people just want results and are not willing to do the work to study why results work. Your CPU is also a very low end value CPU so all throttling and other restrictions will be very tight on it. Also the cooling may be insufficient as well. If you are getting 80C already, you are not going to be able handle more TDP anyhow, without repasting, and judging from how you ask questions, I don't even know if you know how to repaste (don't ever try repasting without experience and taking an LOT of time to learn the basics!)

8. Temp1234453

Temp1234453 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    When you are TDP capped HWInfo reports it as "Core # x power limit exceeded = Yes " ,right?

If so, steps (3) , (4) and (5) from post #72 doesnt work on a 7700HQ on a Ge62 unfortunately

9. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    5 has been tested to work.
    Are you sure you used a NEGATIVE imon offset rather than positive?

Post your HWinfo screenshot please.
    Because you won't get power limit exceeded unless your CPU exceeds 45W of reported power draw.

10. Temp1234453

Temp1234453 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is the BIOS settings:

[​IMG]

This is what HWInfo looks like after some time of gaming:

[​IMG]