MSI GT73VR BIOS: unlock, mod, factory restore, clear CMOS and prevent common issues

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Paloseco, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Paloseco

Paloseco Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I tried again with both Internal graphics and IGPU enabled, and wasn't able to reproduce the issue anymore. Even tried both latest versions E17A1IMS.10A and E17A1IMS.10C, and the system boots properly. Maybe it was a glitch or something weird.

2. majster msi

majster msi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    :) yes better let it be unknown.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Paloseco and Falkentyne like this.
  3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The last time someone posted that keystroke here, their post had to be removed.
    I'm really not sure if it's wise to post engineering codes here. If MSI knows everyone knows the engineering code, they may remove them completely later.

Well now that THAT engineering code is "out of the bag", what about the OTHER engineering code, @majster msi
    The one that brings up a "hidden" EC menu that has two options: "Hybrid Power" and "battery voltage", allowing enabling and disabling of hybrid power?
    Shehary said he found it only ONCE, by accident and never again (it doesn't appear in the unlocked bios). MSI CLAIMS there is no such menu at all. But Shehary saw it. ONCE. Only by accident.

Do you know about this hidden option? (it is NOT in the APTIO user capsule!!)

4. majster msi

majster msi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think it is better to share it to power user than fail with bios unlocked by 3rd part softwar whitch can provide to brick unit ... If you think its is ... usless I will clear my post :).
    Yes there is more however Intel can sue me because 7700hq can be unlocked...
    Keystrokes has been changed several Times by msi however there is no problem to get it when you know how to ... It is like cracking a game ;).
    Msi claimed also that gt72 (ms-1782/83) and gt80 can`t be upgraded to gtx 1070 :)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    hacktrix2006, Papusan and KY_BULLET like this.
  5. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    I know about the HQ processors being able to be unlocked, but the multipliers can't. Only the TDP. And it requires hacking the EC *AND* the MMIO. And if you hack the MMIO you usually just get a system service exception error...

6. Pedro69

Pedro69 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

What???????? Is possible unlock 7700HQ? I just need all cores on 3.8GHZ

7. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    If you can somehow hack the ME or microcode then the processor can be unlocked and perform like one.

Papusan and Falkentyne like this.
  8. Hammerfest

Hammerfest Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Seems some really knowledgeable people here, quick question for anyone who might know, I am using this guide with my GE72-6QD
    found the bios lock, changed it, that's all fine and was the easy part

HOWEVER, I am a bit concerned with how I am going about this, the BIOS was downloaded from the MSI website, then modified (not by me, by someone with experience whos done a few desktops for me) to update the modules, I did NOT do a backup of the BIOS already on the laptop, then have it modified.
    Shown below is output from UBU, but it was not used to modify it (again, person who did it has experience :D, at least with desktops):

Intel RST(e) OROM and EFI SataDriver
    OROM IRST RAID for SATA - 16.0.1.3339 (was 14.7.0.2341)
    EFI IRST RAID for SATA - 16.0.1.3339 (was 14.7.0.2341)
    EFI AMI NVME Driver present
    Intel OROM VBIOS and EFI GOP Driver
    OROM VBIOS SkyLake - 1030 (was 1026, settings where copied from MSI downloaded BIOS)
    EFI GOP Driver SKL-KBL - 9.0.1074 (was 9.0.1039)
    LAN OROM PXE and EFI UNDI - Intel, RTK, BCM, QCA
    OROM Intel Boot Agent CL - 0.1.13 (was 0.1.05)

So my question is, with how the first post is worded about flashing from the flash tool, and flashing from the BIOS, whats the prevailing thought, could I flash this file from the BIOS, or is that still locked/block or worse, will that cause issues, and I should go back and follow the prevailing method of backing up the BIOS from the unit and having it modified?

9. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Bumping and making a note:

You do *NOT* have to download the official bios from MSI in order to do this mod!
    All you have to do is dump the Bios region with FPTW64 -d biosbackup.rom -bios which should work regardless of whether Bios Lock is on or off.
    If you do not get a "CPU does not have read access to the host descriptor region" error, then mission accomplished. Then you can just open that file in UEFItool and follow the instructions and move on. e.g.: Open UEFItool on your backed up image, search for "Bios Lock", double click the bottom result it finds, then click extract as is, then go to Universal IFR extractor and extract it and get the hex offset you need to access the variable when you boot into RU later.

With this method (of course this method of getting the hex offset still works on the official MSI file too btw), you don't need any GUID's to disable Bios Lock. Then once you unlock menus, you can flash your backup back (just make another backup of it before running AMIBCP on it).

Basically, doing this is a shortcut and is much simpler, since ASSUMING you don't get a descriptor error when reading the bios with FPT to back it up, you don't need any machine specific guid's or anything. and this same method can be applied to other laptops that have an APTIO 5 bios, as @Vistar Shook did with his laptop (eVGA).

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/evga-sc17-1080-finally-available.807895/

WARNING: if you get errors or AMIBCP randomly crashes (when a few changes are made) when you try opening the bios in it, do, do NOT attempt to continue modding or that bios! You will need an AMIBCP which does not crash like that (if one exists). @Vasudev ran into this problem when he dumped his Alienware bios and AMIBCP randomly crashed, and made a corrupt image.

biosbackup.jpg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  10. Paloseco

Paloseco Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well that is supposing that your BIOS has never been modified or that being modified you are aware of the changes. If you've changed so much things and want it stock, the best way is just to re-download the official and flash it.

hmscott likes this.