MSI GT73VR BIOS: unlock, mod, factory restore, clear CMOS and prevent common issues

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Paloseco, Jan 1, 2018.

1. tiliarou

tiliarou Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes but why is that an issue ? This power drain is on purpose to not reduce performances, it's IMHO a good thing since it allows higher power draw.
    Did you face specific issues about this ? Or are you afraid of battery wear ?

2. tiliarou

Reputations:
    3 questions for @Paloseco :
    - I will try to unlock my GT72 2QE bios. My BIOS Lock offset is 0x09, so I would go to 00 column and 09 row ?
    - After using RU, after modding and flashing modded Bios and rebooting, can I set Secure Boot to on again ?
    - You mention that after flashing modded Bios, we can't press DEL anymore to go to Bios at boot, is that really the case ? Then how to access Bios on boot ? By pressing the clear CMOS button under the laptop only ?

Thanks !

3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No it does NOT allow higher power draw!
    It only allowed higher power draw back when there was just a 180W power supply available. Then you could draw up to 210W total power.
    The Delta 230W PSU can draw 250W to the system directly, by itself before it shuts down, and the 330W PSU can draw at least 350W to the system. There is NO need for battery boost. In addition, if 230W of power draw is ever exceeded (which is virtually impossible without a TDP modded video card), the EC firmware will hard throttle the CPU to 45W, then to 25W (on 230W systems).

The problem is, when you are pulling just 170W, with a 230W system, it will drain the battery. And the MORE you get closer to 230W, the higher the battery will drain. If you are pulling 220W to the system, the battery will drain about 10%/hour.

That's a good thing? No, it's not, not on these current laptops!

Papusan and tiliarou like this.
  4. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    You can press DEL to get to the Bios anytime at boot. I think you misunderstood him. He was talking about changing an" internal graphics"setting, which caused a black screen. Yet this setting does not cause me any problems at all. It seems his system "soft bricks" itself instead of boot looping, when he enables "Internal graphics" when the Nvidia GPU is still enabled. He was also talking about changing other settings, that might cause a failure to boot, and forcing a CMOS clear. (examples: messing around with RAM timings, enabling a setting that is not meant to be enabled, etc etc).

But he didn't know how to force a CMOS clear without opening the laptop and removing the CMOS battery. You can just hold the power button down for 45 seconds, then release it, then wait 60 seconds, then you will get a LED boot loop, then a MSI logo boot loop after another 45 seconds, which is the way to clear CMOS.

tiliarou likes this.
  5. tiliarou

Reputations:
    Allright, didn't know about this.
    But you are saying that when you use a 230W PSU, and that the load is only around 170W, the battery drains ? Why would it drain ? (I guess this is exactly what you want to avoid) MSI coded it that way ? This is a design flaw then as one would understand that battery is only drained when you reach the PSU limit...
    On my GT72 2QE, I didn't notice this behaviour with a 980m (have to check my PSU though).

Ok I misunderstood as you mentioned, that's good then, no drawback at all to unlock :)

6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Design flaw or whatever you prefer call the ****y... It is designed this way on purpose. On top of MSI, brag about it in their propaganda/advertising @Phoenix :rolleyes:

"NOS is the MSI unique feature to use both battery and adaptor power at same time, combine the cooler boost 2.0 system and Nvidia GPU boost 2.0, this feature could help users to have GPU boost with higher frequency to get extreme graphics performance. When the system total usage power is over the maxima limitation of adaptor supply:rolleyes:, system will auto turn on the “NOS” automatically to apply more currents and watts to support GPU to keep the boost work. It could let user get 10% more benefits on benchmarks and gaming performance.
    When the battery capacity is under 30% or the power consumption of system request goes under the maxima limitation of adaptor, system will turn off the NOS automatically."

[​IMG]

What MSI don't tell people... The power adapter will push out higher wattage than what MSI <state aka Scam> is psu's maximum limitation, when firmware signal start charge up battery again after the draining. Nice!!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    tiliarou likes this.
  7. Shehary

Shehary Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Add mine $50 and raise the bar to $100 total...

Hybrid Option is there, I know what I saw just don't know how to access it again, first time access was total accidentally, I don't remember in which order i used the key combo or number of keys are default or less or more.

I enabled an option which is hidden inside the hidden BIOS settings

tiliarou likes this.
  8. Paloseco

Paloseco Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    -In the corner you should see 09 position as you move with arrow keys
    - yes you can set Secure Boot again with a modded BIOS.
    -you could not boot enter to bios with del key if you make weird changes specially if you flash a modded bios with default settings changed I think is thoroughly explained.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    tiliarou likes this.
  9. Paloseco

Paloseco Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I already knew how to clear cmos it's explained on the guide.

Actually I made a mistake it's the opposite
    Could you do the following:
    - use dgpu nvidia
    -enable internal graphics on bios
    -switch to igpu using the physical button from Windows (from bios menu should work too I guess)

Confirm that you get a software brick and you have to force a cmos reset

tiliarou likes this.
  10. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    I set internal graphics from auto to enabled.
    Saved, exited.
    Laptop turned off, turned on, turned off 3 seconds later, turned on again, booted to windows.

I pressed the GPU button to switch to iGPU, rebooted.
    Laptop rebooted, turned off, turned on with GPU light off, then turned off 3 seconds after reboot sequence started (no MSI logo), turned on, booted to windows.

Sounds like yours isn't doing the boot loop properly?

BTW did you set PEG port 1 from auto to enabled? There have been black screen (laptop isn't frozen but no display output) bugs with the eDP port becoming inactive in the past, if this is set at auto, when switching from dGPU->iGPU->dGPU, but that only happens if the dGPU is active, not iGPU, and I don't know if that was fixed in the .31B Bios, but I do know that all previous bioses had this bug. The only way to prevent that from happening is to set PEG port 1 from Auto to Enabled. (this is not a soft brick issue, its some bizarre bug where eDP doesn't get initialized when switching from iGPU to dGPU, forcing you to switch to iGPU again "Blind" in windows (GPU button ->alt tab -->tab-->space bar) to switch and reboot blindly, and then to load bios defaults (which doesn't always recover). The "Enabled" peg port 1 has no drawbacks at all, the NVGPU will never be active if iGPU is primary, and fixes that bug fully).

tiliarou likes this.