MSI GT73VR BIOS: unlock, mod, factory restore, clear CMOS and prevent common issues

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Paloseco, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Pepillo

Pepillo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank you. I followed this part of the guide to remove the power limit and avoid the use of programs such as Throttlestop for undervolting and I can confirm that it works very well in a GS75.

ryzeki likes this.
  2. BraskSpain

BraskSpain Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, a little bit of an offtopic because it is not exactly the same model but exactly the same topic: I have followed the guide from @Paloseco and @sirgeorge for an MSI GT72VR 7RE Dominator Pro, I found, as @Pedro69 that the BIOS is unlocked by default, I then dumped it and enabled the supervisor mode on the Setup, flashed the modded bios and found out that it shows exactly the same menus as before, did I do something wrong? Thank you very much

Can you PM me? Thank you.

Can you PM the combination? Thank you.

Thank you

3. BoxCad

BoxCad Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello to all...
    First, congratulations on this post...
    I have a MSI WT72-6QL, and I'm doing the procedure to unlock the Bios from this post.
    I still haven't finished all operations, but until now everything is going OK.
    I just need to restart with the USB and change the "Lock" so that I can Flash with the Unlocked Bios Features...

Now, I have some questions I would like to do, hoping someone could help me out to see if I can do some upgrades to my System.
    This is a Mobile Workstation, and it has a Xeon E3-1505M V5 processor, and a Nvidia Quadro M4000M.
    First Question:
    Doing the Bios Unlock, can anyone help me out with the Settings to Overclock my CPU? (I know that these CPUs are Hardware Locked by Intel). I saw someone saying it can be possible to overclock by changing the BSCLK, but I think I might need to change also the Memory voltages to compensate...
    Second Question:
    My GPU is a Quadro M4000M (that I already have an overclock made to the vBios - Svet Work (Great Job) from MSI forum), but because of my work I would like to upgrade to the Quadro P5000M.
    I saw that Eurocom sells the P5000M upgrade to the GT72VR (to expensive in my opinion), but they are unable to confirm me if it would work on my laptop.
    Doing some searches it seems that my WT72 and the GT73VR share the same motherboard and/or Chipset.
    So my question is: Can anyone confirm me if it would be just "plug & play" this P5000 MXM GPU, or do I need to change also Bios Settings for this to Work?

If anyone could help me out with these doubts I would really appreciate…
    Thanks

4. BoxCad

Reputations:
    Hello guys...

So, I just unlocked my Laptop Bios with this tutorial.
    Everything work Great, so I want to thank you all for posting this tutorial and all the tools needed...
    After a few hours of changing / activating All Menus and Sub-Menus in AMIBCP I finally made the "Bios Flash", and everything worked 100%....
    I can confirm that this tutorial also works for MSI Model: WT72-6QL-400US

I just have a question I want to ask to see if its normal....
    I still haven't changed things in BIOS, but I notice something:
    I only enabled the "Overclock" option in my Bios, and when I go to the "Save and Exit" tab, I have several options.
    When I try to hit "Save Changes", nothing happens.
    I need to hit "Save & Reset" option, but I'm a bit confused... If I hit "save and Reset", does the Bios settings change to "default" when it restarts?

Hope someone can still help me out...
    Thanks

5. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Some of the options do nothing as they aren't wired to anything.
    Exit and discard changes boots to windows without changing anything (I think).

"Reset" means the laptop powers off and on Save and reset is what you want to use. You're overthinking.

BoxCad likes this.
  6. BoxCad

Reputations:
    Thanks for the tip and clarification

Anyone that can help me out on my post #143? (http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...nt-common-issues.812372/page-15#post-10933522)
    I would really appreciate all the help I can get....
    Thanks guys...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2019
  7. Fabulist

Fabulist Newbie

Reputations:
    I am thankful I can finally post here, I hope someone can advise me:

In my desire to update my, via UBU modified, MSI laptop's BIOS, I followed this post in order to unlock and flash it. To my carelessness, after all was complete and I was at the point where all that remained was to flash it, I missed this warning:

"
    **WARNING**: DON'T FLASH THE DOWNLOADED BIOS E17A1IMS.10C, OR ANY OTHER OFFICIAL, WITH FPTW64, OR WILL BREAK THE COMPUTER. DO IT FROM THE BIOS MENU DIRECTLY AS EXPLAINED IN SECTION 1.3. FPTW64 CAN ONLY FLASH ITS OWN DUMPS NOT THE ONES DOWNLOADED FROM MSI.
    "

I did unlock the BIOS, I did mod the BIOS successfully with UBU (a fresh one downloaded from MSI's website), but then I just flashed, successfully, it as is via the Intel Flash Programming Tool skipping the part where I should use the dumped file instead.

Acquiring the dump file after already flashing it of course resulted on the one I flashed moments ago.

I am currently writing from this laptop, as I have not restarted it in fear that I may have broken it and in hope that it may be fixable.

Did I mess up?

8. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    At this point, the ONLY thing you can do is to just boot it.
    You can "try" to dump the bios region with FPTw64 -d bios.bin -bios and then reflash it but that depends on if the other regions got corrupted or not.
    I would contact SVET on MSI forums and ask him. I doubt anyone here would be able to help you.
    Of course you can always recover by buying a SPI programmer (Skypro) and a Pomona 5250 clip and some male to female jumper cables and then force flash the bios chip with another computer (1 mbit (8 MB) size), using the original Bios from MSI. This always will recover but you will lose the DMI information (model, etc) which will stop Dragon Center from working properly.
    Anyone who makes a full original dump of the bios with a hardware programmer (not FPTW64) can then force flash back and keep the DMI information since it will be with the original dump..

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    Fabulist and hmscott like this.
  9. Fabulist

Fabulist Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for the advice, the laptop did in fact break and is on repair. I suppose I should dump the BIOS with Intel's Flash Programming Tool, modify that specific BIOS file and then flash it?

10. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    If you mean the replacement laptop, personally I would just buy the hardware flasher so you never have to worry about this ever again.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EV70C78
    https://www.amazon.com/CPT-063-Test-Clip-SOIC8-Pomona/dp/B00HHH65T4/
    (required)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DZC36GY

(maybe you can find it on Aliexpress or ebay or some place cheaper).

Then you can simply backup the original entire bios and easily restore it in case of any bad flash (the bios chip is under the video card MXM). Just need to wire pin 1-8 correctly and match pin1 on the clip to pin 1 on the bios. And yes, standard is to dump with fptw64 -bios to dump the bios region, edit that with amibcp 5.02.0031, then reflash with -bios option again.

Fabulist and Kevin@GenTechPC like this.