MSI GT73VR BIOS: unlock, mod, factory restore, clear CMOS and prevent common issues

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Paloseco, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Can you observe the battery percentage before and after the issue? Sounds like MSI Hybrid Power has failed you. How long did you play the game? Perhaps the battery juice ran out thus causing the performance to drop.
    https://www.msi.com/faq/nb-684.html

2. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If your battery is very low, a % of your power is dedicated for charging, which in turns drops performance if your machine. this would explain why disabling the battery gave you back consistent better performance.

What I don't remember correctly is if disabling the battery actually caps your total max performance somewhat. It sounds like your battery has failed?

Dannemand and custom90gt like this.
  3. KolinCancer

KolinCancer Newbie

Reputations:
    the battery is removed from the equation 100%. my laptop currently runs like a desktop, the battery is disabled and thanks to me doing that im able to overclock my laptop via dragon center. and idk what is wrong with my battery, it does that thing where u have to hold the cable at a certain angle in order for it to charge, but how can I fix this. and with the battery disabled I still get random severe low fps spikes and if u look at the images in my last post u can see how unstable my cpu and gpu behave immediately after boot without any programs running. a also made a post where I included the stats from the userbenchmark benchmark I ran on my laptop (which was done with my battery disabled) and I got terrible results
    "UserBenchmarks: Game 20%, Desk 34%, Work 33%
    CPU: Intel Core i7-6820HK - 20.8%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 (Mobile) - 24.7%
    SSD: Samsung SM951 NVMe PCIe M.2 512GB - 179.6%
    HDD: HGST Travelstar 7K1000 2.5" 1TB - 749.4%
    RAM: Kingston MSI24D4S7D8MB-16 2x16GB - 65.9%
    MBD: MSI MS-17A1"

4. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:

1. DC jack replacement.
    2. Check for software processes in the system that may prevent the system to run smoothly.

5. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Physically removing the battery causes NOS to be disabled and Embedded controller RAM register C6 to be set to 40/41. This caps total system power draw at some much lower value, and if this power draw is exceeded, the CPU will be power limit 1/power limit 2 throttled to the CPU's base TDP, by the Embedded controller (PECI), overruling any bios settings. If for some reason that isnt enough, the cpu can be throttled to 25W or even down to 800 mhz by force. The video card isn't touched.
    EC register C6 can be 'tricked' back to full power (value C0/C1) by programming a few other registers to make the EC think the missing battery is installed and at 100% charge.
    The same toggle happens if the battery falls below 30% power (up until it reaches >80%). If register C6 is throttled when battery drops below 30% then climbs back up but hasn't reached 80%, you can program another register to make the EC think it's at 100%, which will reset the flag again. But if your battery is below 30%, there's nothing you can do to remove the throttle except remove the battery connector and change the 2 or 3 required EC registers (depending on if you want to also change the master power ID in EC register E3 or not as well).

I know nothing about disabling the battery in windows device manager. You guys are on your own there.

Settiing IMON SLOPE to between 1 to 10 can make the CPU report it's using far less power than the EC throttle point, which could prevent the EC from locking the CPU if the battery drops too low.

t456, Papusan and Kevin@GenTechPC like this.
  6. KolinCancer

KolinCancer Newbie

Reputations:
    like what? the wording in your post made me remember that my laptop is also having some issues with powering down completely sometimes it will hang. dont know if that ties to my other issues

7. KolinCancer

KolinCancer Newbie

Reputations:
    I understand only the entry level of the more advanced/technical computer field. by that I mean what u said I comprehended however I did not completely understand nor do I know exactly how to execute all that. rather then ask you to explain all the terms etc is there anywhere I could find online to educate me on this subject/terminology. Also what does changing the master power id in ec register e3 do? in addition to that ive been having issues with modding my bios I cannot unlock my bios again and im not sure how it initially got locked after I unlocked it and modded my bios however once it became locked again I attempted to flash the og bios via the bios and repeat the process however once in RU I couldn't locate 0x5ae (I believe it was there that the bios lock was locked) in either setup. not sure why this is happening but I imagine I need to unlock my bios again to perform anything that mentioned above. On a side note, like I said ive been disabling my battery via device manager one issue I experience is if my laptop is powered down while the battery is disabled and im running off the dGPU upon reboot my dGPU will malfunction (also shows a error in device manager) and this malfunction is severe ill have about 2 fps if I dont resolve the error which the fastest way is, while in device manager, to disable the dgpu then reenable the battery then reenable the gpu then disable the battery. I mention that because I fear that if I removed the battery itself then resolving the issue would become much more complex/time consuming. and for one reason or another preventing my laptop from rebooting is not all that simple for me, it seems I constantly need to. any idea why that error might be occurring/how to prevent it?

8. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    @Papusan knows.
    So does @Prema
    MSI sets the power ID based on what video card is detected.
    This determines the maximum AC power allowed before the CPU is forcibly throttled by force via PECI, if the maximum AC Power draw is exceeded. This is set at power on time but thankfully can be changed by the user in windows.

The power ID's also have a CPU identification linked to them also (as far as I know, I don't know the code, SVET probably does), but if you use a CPU that is not recognized by the EC, it will be limited to base TDP, regardless of the power ID. (@Mr. Fox has already seen this on the MSI 16L13).
    There's also some maximum current draw rating for the CPU by itself (run FMA3 small FFT prime95 with a too high overclock and vcore and watch the VRM's shut off instantly), and something similar for combined power (Prema found this out when the 16L13 was unlocked to allow GPU and CPU to draw unlimited power, if the GPU drew too much, the VRMs would trip if the CPU was loaded).
    The SLI SKU's probably allow more total system power as there has to be an SLI allowance from the power FETs that supply the MXM slot.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. KolinCancer

KolinCancer Newbie

Reputations:
    That is awesome to hear however again my retarded ass did not entirely comprehend. Whats do these mean: "fma3 small FFT prime95", "VRM's". Also im using the cpu that came with my laptop. Could anyone help me sort thru this. Here is the specifications for my laptop if they help at all. https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GT73VR-6RF-Titan-Pro/Specification

10. Falkentyne

Reputations: