MSI GT73VR BIOS: unlock, mod, factory restore, clear CMOS and prevent common issues

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Paloseco, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I don't own these laptops so my ability to answer these questions is VERY limited without hardware in my hands.
    I'm reliant on other people testing them for themselves and posting feedback. I have a GT73VR, not a 6 core laptop.

2. hackness

hackness Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Because Cinebench is a short test, which was able to be handled by the default 28 seconds, FireStrike's Physic test is the same thing, IMON tweak only makes a different when the test is long. Like a CPU intensive game or video rendering. But I tell you, the difference is huge when it comes to a long test.

Undervolt still can be done at AC DC loadline = 1, but only very minor, less than 45mV on cache. You can go for more, but you will notice some errors in a long run, you can use TS bench to see if you get any errors.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  3. KolinCancer

KolinCancer Newbie

Reputations:
    hows it going all, I know this post is old but I have a msi gt73vr 6rf titan pro the 202us variant and Ive unlocked my bios (excellent Original post btw) however I cant figure out how to stop my laptop from throttling. the only thing ive found to help is by going into device manager and disabling the battery its self but when my laptop reports with that device disabled then the gpu will fail and im forced to enable the battery reboot then disable again. even with the battery disabled in gpu-z it still says my gpu is throlling due to pwr as well as thermal and its not running that hot. Is it possible to fix these issue via the unlocked bios and if so how (if it is explain it like ur talking to a small child cuz im not the most skilled when it comes to this kinda modifications). Thanks Again

Wait I just saw falkentynes post on page 8 however I could not get the settings to appear in my bios in order to alter them so im attempting to just set the changes in the optimal section. one issue I came across is when trying to set IMON offset to 31999 when I press enter it asks me to choose a number between 0-255. there is no imon offset prefix to alter as well

I just attempted to flash a modded bios (this would be like the 5th time ive flashed a modded file) and I get a error that says Failed to disable write protection for the bios space why is that

4. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Skylake GT73VR?
    if so, IMON OFFSET isn't set to more modern values with + and - values. I mean even my Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master has this properly (as does the Kaby lake GT73VR).
    Try setting IMON SLOPE (the other setting right above it) to 10 instead.

And why and how is your laptop throttling to begin with?
    GPU throttling cannot be avoided. Only flashing TDP modded bioses with a HW programmer can avoid that.
    Only CPU throttling can be dealt with (depending on WHAT is throttling and why it's throttling).

Kevin@GenTechPC and Papusan like this.
  5. KolinCancer

KolinCancer Newbie

Reputations:
    so its throttling partly because my charger isn't working correctly however I fixed that by disabling the battery in device manager. the other part is it says thermal however I have the fans running on high and theres no way its at max temp (because it does it the second it bootss up as well) it seems like my system is throttling just because and also I recently ran the userbenchmark and these were the results I received
    UserBenchmarks: Game 20%, Desk 34%, Work 33%
    CPU: Intel Core i7-6820HK - 20.8%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 (Mobile) - 24.7%
    SSD: Samsung SM951 NVMe PCIe M.2 512GB - 179.6%
    HDD: HGST Travelstar 7K1000 2.5" 1TB - 749.4%
    RAM: Kingston MSI24D4S7D8MB-16 2x16GB - 65.9%
    MBD: MSI MS-17A1

6. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    What was the temperature looks like on your system?

7. KolinCancer

KolinCancer Newbie

Reputations:
    well ive been gaming at 4.05 ghz and my gpu oced at 607mhz gpu core clock 405mhz (this is the throttling I spoke off) memory clock at 28c gpu and36 c cpu for the past few hrs now

8. KolinCancer

KolinCancer Newbie

Reputations:
    I desperately just want this laptop to handle like it should be. I have no idea why my gpu core clock and memory will constantly jump around. Check out these images of my laptop running gpu-z immediately after reboot[​IMG] [​IMG] these were taken seconds apart from one another. why would my gpu vary like that. heres a link for the library these images are in so u can see better my b https://postimg.cc/gallery/2nphpg0hc/

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  9. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I see that you posted two images where one is showing the GPU speed at idle and the other at load. Can you provide details on the symptoms you are having?

10. KolinCancer

KolinCancer Newbie

Reputations:
    I was getting rlly rlly bad fps while playing lol however when I first got this laptop I was getting 200+ fps. now It seems to be working much better but there are still times when my fps wil drop to 40-80 for no reason I can tell. also in dragon center the MHz shown for my gpu will vary drastically without chaning/doing anything. also ive gotten 2 different chargers for this laptop and neither one will "steadily charge" my laptop which makes my laptop constantly switch between battery and charging mode which then prevents me from using dragon center to oc. I alrdy figured out the work around for this I just disable the battery in device manager and then everything runs fine and my laptop has yet to die on me yet which is weird when u consider the fact that it would nvr charge steadily and last time I saw the battery% it said 30 and should last 30 mins. I dont understand just know that it runs better without the battery enabled. im also going to add a couple screeenshots of what I was talking about in regards to dragon center and my gpu

https://postimg.cc/gallery/z9ob7r1s/