MSI GT73VR BIOS: unlock, mod, factory restore, clear CMOS and prevent common issues

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Paloseco, Jan 1, 2018.

1. BigKid1973

BigKid1973 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'd like to OC CPU (nothing too fancy - just the multipliers) and Mem - and I'd like to do that with different settings for running with and without AC.
    Is that possible ? The GT72 seems to be a lot slower when running without AC - and I'm not talking about GPU but CPU and probably RAM - I'd like to have a little more power.
    My laptop is a MSI GT73VR 6RE with 6820HK CPU so the CPU is unlocked anyway (GPU is a GTX1070).

PS: As far as I've followed this thread there is still no way to get rid of that unfeature called hybrid power ?
    Customer Support from MSI told me that if I use "comfort mode" and below with speed shift hybrid power would be turned off...but I do not trust them 100%...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  2. Temp1234453

Temp1234453 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is it possible to unlock a 8th gen MSI laptop? The alt+f2+control+shift doesnt work anymore in the MSI GE63 8RF

3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Works on the GS65. Why wouldn't it work on the GS63? That's silly.
    Looks like you're pressing F2 before the other keys. F2 is to be pressed LAST.

The Bios Lock disable (RU via EFI boot) + AMIBCP 5.02 + FPTW64 (assuming you get the right version from win-raid.com) method still works. AMIBCP 5.02 is stable as long as it doesn't randomly crash on some bios options. The previous AMIBCP (5.01 i think) worked fine on the GT73VR and GT75VR but crashed on the 6 core laptops. So if worse comes to worst, you can either do it manually or talk to SVET on official MSI forums and have him do it safely for you.

tiliarou likes this.
  4. Temp1234453

Temp1234453 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I actually used to press them all at the same time. I didnt have a problem with my GE62 after some tries, but this time I couldnt get it once on the GE63, but pressing F2 last worked. Thanks.

5. jaime360

jaime360 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So, I have a msi gt73vr 6re (6820hk and 1070) and I recently got it from an rma to get the 1.2v gpu. So, I tried to unlock the bios but I wasn't able to do it. I think it is because I had the latest bios:
    E17A1IMS.10E
    Release Date
    2018-02-27

Besides being able to unlock it following thus guide I was getting pl1 throttling as soon as I was farther than 45w! I didn't know what was going on, but luckily, I had my old bios saved and after flashing it, everything back to normal.
    Now, my question is, can I flash the svet bios that he made for me having a new gpu (v1.2)?
    Or should I unlock it using this guide? Thank you!

6. Paloseco

Paloseco Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Maybe the new BIOS disabled the unlock shortcut or changed it?

7. jaime360

jaime360 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't know because I am not an expert. I just know that having the same parameters, after 45w, it throttles back to 45w, which is stupid... It gave me a big headache until i did discovered it. I just wanted to warn people here about that.

8. ayerly

ayerly Newbie

Reputations:
    @Falkentyne, with an unlocked bios with said values, what should happen if we undervolt CPU with throttlestop ?

Someone followed your steps (without steps 5 of IMON values though), got his bios unlocked, but still had throttle.

He undervolted his CPU and reached 1264cb while he was previously at 1040cb before. No more throttling.

Does these results seem normal ?

On a side note, MSI Silent Option doesn't seem to work with GP73 Leopard and GE73 Raider series with 8750H CPU. Do you know any kind of software which could replace Dragon Center to control the CPU and GPU fans ?

- MSI Silent Option doesn't work
    - SpeedFan doesn't work

manually fine-tune fans directly in the bios is excluded.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  9. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    With IA AC DC loadline at 1, there is no headroom to undervolt at all.
    Throttling can be removed by setting IMON SLOPE=50 and IMON OFFSET to negative 31999.

The other person (temp something) had an issue with windows updates causing throttling.

You need "Skylake" version of MSI silent option. There are two.

10. ayerly

ayerly Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your reply.

Then that's really weird, because he did the bios mods you said (without IMON params). He reached 1251cb but still had some throttling, then he undervolted the cpu to -170mv with ThrottleStop and reached 1264cb (which is the score of an unlocked 8750h) and without throttling this time.

Since you said we MUST NOT undervolt, I'm wondering what's wrong...

--

I'll grab the skylake then, thanks, the 1st one wasn't working at all.