MSI GT73VR-7RF Shuts down when unplugged from AC adapter

Discussion in 'MSI' started by RalfTech, Jun 5, 2017.

1. RalfTech

RalfTech Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Would a EC Re-flash or Update help?
    After some thinking and battery logs it seems that one cell in the battery is not working at all (faulty from the factory). When it reaches a certain percentage and when it switches to that cell the laptop obviously goes off. I don't see any other reason unless the motherboard is faulty which I assume would be 1 out of a 1000.

What is a EC Chip and what's the purpose of it?

I'm trying to find a new battery to test my theory and let me know what you guys think.

2. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Updating EC firmware (embedded controller) will not resolve a defective battery issue. The EC manages the function of power buttons, keyboard control (volume, brightness, etc), power flow, thermal management, etc.

RalfTech likes this.
  3. RalfTech

RalfTech Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you sir.
    I now will know what the EC manages.

It seems to me that a battery cell is faulty and there's 8 of them so there's a higher change of one being faulty.
    By the way many models from MSI have a 6 cell battery so probably that's why it's less common.

I wish MSI could send me a new battery with fast shipping to Chicago in 5 days before my trip to Europe where I will spend the whole summer but apparently they have a whole process to go through... ugh.

Pwntage likes this.
  4. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    No one likes to have their stuff break down on them, not to mention the RMA process after that, but unfortunately things do break down because they can break down. The good part is, at least this happened during warranty period instead of happening after warranty period.

RalfTech, Ultra Male and Falkentyne like this.
  5. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    I'd at least contact MSI, to see if they'll send you a battery.

6. Steve Lancaster

Steve Lancaster Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm having the same problem GT73VR 7RE 6mo old and it won't start on battery even with the GPU off. If I pull out the power cord it shuts off. Battery shows 93%. Unfortunatly I can send it off for 2-3 weeks for repair. Any suggestions would help.
    Thanks

7. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    Your battery is within warranty, so you can contact MSI to see if you can do warranty exchange for battery only.

Pwntage likes this.
  8. Pwntage

Pwntage Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm having the exaaaaaaaact same problem. Laptop cuts power on battery randomly. And the battery callibration keeps resetting from 20mins remaining to 30 mins for as long as i run the callibration program. Did you solve the issue?

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  9. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    Contact MSI because they gotta replace the battery.

Pwntage likes this.
  10. Pwntage

Pwntage Newbie

Reputations:
    I'll do that. But I still find it weird since i was finally successful in callibrating the battery after leaving it for 6 hours or so. But the laptop even cuts power even when its in stanby/sleep or complete shut down state. I'm panicking because I don't want it to be a mobo Charging circuit issue. Was it the battery for your case?