MSI GT73 projecting screen all by itself ONLY when TV is off! Help!

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Fridgeboy, May 1, 2018.

1. Fridgeboy

Fridgeboy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The previous TV did not do this, correct. It was fine the first day though. My TV is up to date, no more updates for it. I also called sony after several days of this and they assured me the TV has no control over the source.

I tried a computer monitor with hdmi support and it was fine; No auto switching but I also didn't leave it over night, just 30min.

I'll be out town for a few weeks and my wife is going to leave her Acer hooked up like mine always is and see if it happens. She also has windows 10.

I've seen stuff mentioned about HDMI CEC or something to do with new TVs and hdmi cables/control. My old 2015 TV was one of the last 1080p non 4K TVs from sony from what I understood. Maybe it didn't get the new tech?

I also posted this on the microsoft support forums and the one person trying to help is also having trouble trying to diagnose this.

As I sit here my screen has blipped (the refresh thing) 2 times. It is in extended with the tv OFF because I don't bother putting it to "PC screen only" anymore. The blip looks like it refreshes the desktop and then my colour profile gets applied again and taskbar disappears and then comes back (maybe not exactly in that order but all that happens). So far I've only noticed this in extend screens. Never on second screen only or unplugged with pc screen only. I don't use duplicate so I can't confirm for it. My laptop also goes through very noticeable lag spikes too now, only in extend screen hooked up to the tv. This hardware should be able to handle extended screens so I'm assuming whatever is causing the auto switch when the TV is off is having issues or something in extend screens.

2. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Is this a smart tv or "smart" connect tv? For example with other devices, game console cable box ect, can it control those devices?

3. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Try another PC if you have spare to verify. If the issue only shows up with one device then perhaps it's the particular PC itself.

Support.2@XOTIC PC likes this.
  4. ryzeki

ryzeki Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    So far I think it is something with the TV. Saying it does not control the source means nothing by itself. HDMI can "control" HDMI devices but this is probably what they mean that it is disabled.

Something about how the TV handles the PC input... are you displaying in RGB or ycbcr? Maybe there is some incompatibility issue happening with the desired resolution/settings. What does your TV say about PC compatibility? Any limitations for refreshrate or something?

Support.2@XOTIC PC likes this.
  5. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes, if you are pushing a resolution/refresh rate that the TV does not support that could be an issue.

6. Fridgeboy

Reputations:
    I've been away for a few days. I won't be back home for a few weeks. As soon as I'm back I will check this but nothing was changed display wise between the old tv and new tv

7. Fridgeboy

Reputations:
    For the record though my girlfriend has left her acer spin 5 laptop running windows 10 connected to the new tv since I have been away and no automatic screen projecting of any kind with the tv on or off.