MSI GT72VR-all models-official discussion thread!

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Milardo, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Pedro69

Pedro69 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  2. Milardo

Milardo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry i dont have either of those games you mentioned.

Star Wars Battefront (2015) does have a high demand on cpu and gpu if you up the resolution and resolution scale.

3. Pedro69

Reputations:
    Wolfenstein 2 for example not have the issue and is one of lastest games atm...but if you could try one of them will be very grateful if you then left feeback.

4. Milardo

Milardo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would if i could but sorry I dont have access to those games at the moment.

5. johnmr531

johnmr531 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anybody have an issue where sometimes certain keys wont work?
    In my case occasionally the e and v keys won't work. They have been working for a while again but Ive heard the way these are manufactured the cable to the keyboard is bent and can deteriorate. A lot of msi laptops seem to have this problem.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=284355.0

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=295141.50

"
    I received exactly same copy/paste answer.

This has nothing to do with any software. It's a design flaw and poor quality of steelseries keyboards/products.

The problem is within the keyboards cable and its deteriorating problem.
    1st phase you will feel slight lag in pressing few keys (always close to each other as it is a cluster of keys)
    2nd the keys will not press but if you will hold any other key on another cluster and press one of the not working keys they will work.
    3rd stage you will have to "heat up" the problematic cluster of keys. I.E. you will have to press many many other keys together with non working and they will start to work almost normally until next time your laptop goes to sleep (becomes "cold")
    4th stage is the heating up will take much longer, like 10 minutes and the keys will work for short time and then you'll have to heat them up again.
    5th stage the keys will completely stop working or the heating up phase will be taking more time than going to the nearest shop and purchasing 5$ keyboard.

All the people who are trying to solve this through software solution are the users around second or third phase. Eventually while updating\installing software they "heat up" the cable and keys start to work, making an illusion as if this or that software actually resolved the problem. Most of them reporting right after that the problem is still out there.

Your best bet would be changing keyboard but it doesn't guarantees that the new keyboard won't fail withing short time too.
    "

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  6. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If the cable isn't physically severed, the problem can be fixed by disconnecting the keyboard cable, straightening it out, spraying Deoxit d5 (something everyone should have) along the keyboard cable, cleaning the keyboard to motherboard ribbon connector at the end, straightening any cracks in the cable, then reassembling.

Unfortunately the cable in the GT73VR doesn't require a complete disassembly to access (as long as you make sure you -pull- the cable outwards before disconnecting the connector so it doesn't slide BEHIND the motherboard--yes there are a few inches of extra slack there. However from what I've seen in the GT72VR, it may require complete disassembly to access the cable. There is a HUGE gigantic plastic shroud covering the area where the cable and the battery is, and I do not know if that shroud can be removed without complete disassembly. I do see screws in the shroud so maybe you can try.

https://www.laptopmain.com/msi-gt72vr-disassembly/

The problem with the cables is because MSI installs them in a cancer way, making the cable bend at a sharp angle around the motherboard and wind up having a huge crease, instead of using the extra slack and pulling it down more. Probably these things are assembled by machine or something. In some cases, dirty buildup of a material at the connector end also causes problems (which Deoxit D5 an fix), but you often need to do both fixes, as well as fixing the crease. When you do pull the cable on a GT73, you wind up having a hump of the cable outwards, which looks tacky, but stops ALL problems, provided the "Sharp crease" that you had before didnt permanently break the cable.

[​IMG]

johnmr531 likes this.
  7. Pedro69

Reputations:

3:10

johnmr531 likes this.
  8. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    No !!
    The important part is at 2:10! That explains how to remove that large cover.
    3:10 is the keyboard cable itself. You can't get to the keyboard cable unless you remove the entire cover. THAT is the important part.

9. johnmr531

johnmr531 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    thanks for the info guys. If it happens again I'll look into it otherwise im not sure I want to take half the thing apart just yet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Pedro69 likes this.
  10. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Can a kind GT72VR user *PLEASE* PLEASE download RW Everything (very small program), install it, click on the EC tab, and please take a screenshot of the embedded controller window, and then upload it here?

it won't take long. Will take less than 2 minutes of your time. Thank you.
    (it's best if you have a 7700HQ + GTX 1070 and even better if you are in USA/Canada, not Europe. Trying to help someone....thank you very much).

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.