MSI GT72VR-all models-official discussion thread!

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Milardo, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Gront

Gront Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Will keep that in mind. Thanks.

I'm now using the built in GPU-Z render test, seems to work well. Managed to undervolt my GPU to 0.962 volts and it's holding 1898 Mhz under load while being under 69 C. It used to go over 77 C before, pretty happy with the results.

Phoenix likes this.
  2. streetunder

streetunder Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey MSI GT72VR owners,

Does anyone noticed stuttering on games and benchmarks, lately?

Some MSI 1070 laptops have this "bd prochot" issue, causing CPU throttling to 800mhz, which causes severe stuttering, on CPU intensive games.

Check this thread, if you have this kind of problem with your laptop, and share your feedback.

Thank you

P.S

Any news on a updated BIOS to fix the Intel Spectre/Meltdown issue?

Msi removed the latest BIOS from the official MSI website, bios date 11 January 2018, because Intel told them to do so (some folks have bsod with this bios).

If you go there now, they put an older BIOS instead, which is strange, since they released many new bios after this one.

So, yes, you cant rollback, since the previous BIOS, is not avaliable for download on the official MSI website anymore.

Share your feedback, thank you.

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Pedro69 likes this.
  3. streetunder

Reputations:
    Hey folks,

New issue,

My MSI GT72VR 7RE comes with 120HZ 5MS TN screen.

Since a few months, i have noticed a faint flickering / blink on the right side of the screen, top right of the screen to be more accurate.

This only happens on fullscreen and with g-sync turned on, borderless works fine with g-sync, and if i turn off g-sync i can play fullscreen with no problem.

According to google research, it looks like a driver problem by Nvidia, the issue was introduced in a driver and they never fixed this issues on newest drivers.

Video - https://imgur.com/a/lKLRv

Info about the issue - https://techreport.com/news/27449/g-sync-monitors-flicker-in-some-games-and-here-why

Lots of people reporting this issue - https://www.google.pt/search?client=opera&q=g-sync+flicker&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Anyone with this problem?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  4. streetunder

Reputations:
    Hey GT72VR owners,

Do you notice battery drain while playing games?

With the laptop plugged in.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  5. Milardo

Milardo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi, do you mean when laptop is plugged in?

streetunder likes this.
  6. streetunder

Reputations:
    Hey man.

While playing games, like more then 1 hour straight, do you get a small battery drain?

edit

With the laptop plugged in, yes @Milardo

7. Milardo

Milardo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    as far as i know, I played star wars battefront (2015) while laptop plugged in and didn't notice any battery drain. However the battery calibration isnt working for me. Have you calibrated the battery lately? Not sure if that would help. Also i have the 6rd model (gtx 1060)

streetunder likes this.
  8. streetunder

Reputations:
    Man you helped a lot, thank you.

Please keep checking if you have any battery drain while playing for a few hours, if you have like 1% or 2% less, tell me.

We are discussing in other thread, if the GT72VR models have the hybrid system or not (it uses the battery while playing games, plugged in, it helps the system it seems)

One more thing: do you have G-Sync?

9. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I wish I remembered what EC Version I had, because I had SVET do an bios unlock mod for me for my GT72VR.
    All I remember is it was the 7700HQ, kaby lake model with 1070, and a DVD slot, Hard disk drive, and one M2 "Combo" slot for NVME or or PCIE SATA SDD.
    I remember older versions of the GT62VR had a "MSI multi drive adapter", forgot what it was called, and i remember posting about that, and found that that adapter simply won't work in the newer GT72VR. All of that BS combined with the locked CPU made me RMA exchange it.

But that battery drain I had was annoying. Forgot what game I was playing but almost 10% battery drain in one hour.

Some people with the GT73VR 6RF (1080 version) also had 10% battery drain in one hour when playing Witcher 3, but they were able to fix that by going in the unlocked Bios, "enabling" the Intel iGPU in System Agent->Graphics configuration (changing internal graphics from "Auto" to Enabled"), and then changing RC6 render standby from enabled to disabled under GT power management control. This changed the battery drain from 10%/hour to 3%/hour in Witcher 3

Never had that issue with such high drain on the kaby lake version, except if using 220W of total system power on 230W power ID (back then, before I knew how to change the powerID). Also changing Rc6 to disabled and enabling the iGPU (which doesn't really "enable" it, although Linux can address it and windows can "See" it), didn't change battery boost drain amount at all for me on mine.

streetunder likes this.
  10. streetunder

Reputations:
    Maybe they updated the hybrid system to use less batttery with newer laptops.